Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Mar 20, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Leaving Uni first year / gap year ?

Hi there

Interested to hear from anyone who's child has either decided Uni wasn't for them or had a year out and what they did ?

Thanks in advance

Edited at 04:33 PM.
Snowball24 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 20, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Not a child but a work colleague, he decided he didn't like the course he was on, tried to change but didn't do something right and messed up his finance so had to drop out. Bitterly regretted it as he wanted to go back a few years after and was told they would only finance one year and that would be the last year, he didn't have the money to finance the first 2 himself.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 20, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

My son did 2 years and then dropped out. He hated his course and stuck it out as long as he could. To be honest, it was affecting his mental health and I was relieved the pressure was off him. He took a while to settle after that, but now has a wonderful job doing something he loves. Dropping out really isn’t the end of the world and frankly, now some time has passed, no one would even know or care that he didn’t finish his course. If it’s the best thing for the person, then it’s ok.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 20, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Christina Dunn
Apprentice Imagineer

Christina Dunn's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
My daughter did. She hated uni, everything about it. She had lost so much weight and had been crying constantly on FaceTime to us, so she came home. It can be hard on finances. We had to pay her rent for the rest of the year and pay back some maintenance grant, and she had no funds. She does not regret it, although she seems to not be able to find her feet since. I am sure she will soon. Believe me, she told us lots of people had left before her and she left after eight weeks.

Christina Dunn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 20, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi , thanks. Ds not dropping out but going to take a gap year as doesn't like being at this uni. He plans to work, save , travel and go 2021 unless he decides uni isn't for him after all . Hes struggling x

Thank you x
Old 9 Mar 20, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

DD decided to take a year out before starting, she has mental health issues, needed a bit of a breather from pressure, from continual learning - so she is living with her boyfriend in her (due to start this Sept) uni town. She has had a job (earning more than I do! ) to give her time to grow up (her words) and get some cash behind her before she starts.

She may have some mental health problems - but she has a sensible head on those shoulders.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 20, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
nasty
Imagineer

My son is currently on his gap year. He’s working full time in a warehouse. He doesn’t particularly like it but it’s fab money and he’s saving it for when he starts uni in September.

He’s used this year to chill out, after all the pressure he had with his A levels. He’s booked concerts and festivals. He’s also off to New York in a couple of weeks. To be honest it’s made a huge difference to the way he sees life now. I’m very glad he chose to wait a year as I think straight into uni for him would have been too much.
nasty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 20, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

My grandson left uni after a year and got an apprenticeship to train as an accountant. He's now part qualified and doing very well.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 20, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
hilz22
Imagineer

Not my child but my little sister in law, left uni after first year, unfortunately after she had signed a rent agreement for year 2 it cost her parents a fortune so i would say if he is going to do it, do it before he commits to year 2 accommodation x

'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do' -just saying
hilz22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 20, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Thanks encouraging stories. Not signed any accomodation yet for year 2 x
Snowball24 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List