Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 7 May 18, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
alanm
Serious Dibber

As mentioned, the drive to Indian Creek is straight forward but have or get some quarters at the first toll after leaving the airport as the Celebration exit has an unmanned toll booth
The South exit from the airport is a quieter drive too
alanm is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 18, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
w513mfs
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Can you explain why CVT boxes aren't suitable for Florida style driving( whatever that is)

I have a CVT box in my Toyota Hybrid and a DSG in my Golf Gti. I do prefer the Toyota for relaxed driving and the Golf for a thrash on back roads.
I can't see what you are getting at as the roads I drive in FL are quite straight and boring.
sure and this is just my opinion.

1) The rubber band effect. If you have to pull out of a junction or do any manoeuvre from a standstill and require immediate speed forget it. example, nearly every road that comes past the front of a housing estate is equivalent to dual carriageway without a slip road and with the lack of kick down you could be waiting what feels like an age for an appropriate gap. on the other hand try and floor it to join the traffic and be caught dangerously short.

2) the noise and shudder you have to do so much driving to get any where and the noise is so intrusive especially when accelerating.

3) A/C now this one might just be me but accelerating seems to take even longer with the ac blowing full pelt and who doesn't drive in florida with out a/c.

4) again the amount of driving you have to do, lets be honest nearly everything you want to visit is 45-60 mins away and these boxes are so notoriously unreliable especially the nissan ones. its not unusual to hear stories of these failing with under 20k miles

5) i feel that if you drive a manual and you are used to being able to find instant power when and if you need it, you might get caught short in regards to accelerating with a cvt. where as a traditional auto with a torque converter you also get instant power.

Now don't get me wrong I don't just hate these gearboxes in florida i hate them all together. My wife had two mini coopers with cvt dog awful one snapped the band at 43k and the other had software issues at 30k. i had an audi A4 thought maybe this would be better being audi and a bit of a bigger engine is was not, so 3 weeks later it was gone changed for a dsg which was much better. after the two mini's went we tried again with a civic that was no better although we did hold on to it for a while but i point blank refused to drive it.

the bigger the car the worse the problems are i feel due to the weight and torque factor. The constant feel of slipping clutch(even though no clutch), now this will be negated a little in your hybrid due to the electric drive assistance.

also just to be clear i hate diesel cars and any thing that is not naturally aspirated. so i'm happy to admit that maybe its just me but i can tell the difference and have never been able to get on with them.

FLORIDA TRIPS 1994,1995,1996,2005,2007,2007 PART2,2008,2010,2016,2017, 2018, 2021, 2022 and 2024 coming soon
w513mfs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 18, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

My experience with my Toyota CVT box is different, perhaps in the way I drive. I'm on my second car with the CVT box, the first one doing over 70k with no issues. My current one has just got around 2000 on it and again no issues. I take the point about junctions, but my method is to use the sport mode which puts the launch revs up a good bit, and it's instant. However Toyota is addressing this and new boxed have a start first gear. Look it up.
Comparing this to my Golf GTI which we have for blasts up the winding hilly roads up here in Scotland the DSG box is great for that, but in town I'd have the CVT ant time
I think it's down to how we drive differently. I appreciated your comments all good.
I think we had better get back on topic before we get a slap from Admin

Apologies to other posters.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
ayeready
Excited about Disney

Keep your hand over you left knee to remind you not to use it.

After a few journeys it'll become 2nd nature and you'll do it automatically.
ayeready is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List