Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 21 May 18, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
edavies
Chilling at Carribean Beach

edavies's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Thank you everyone for your input and advise got it sorted now only cost £100 per car
edavies is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
SS17
I have Ears

Hi. I'm hoping I'm in the right place. I have already booked with VH and got a slightly bigger car than the basic. However, I'm just a little confused about what the insurance part covers.

Basic Insurance - same as UK 3rd Party only?
CDW - Same as UK Fully comprehensive?

Is that correct?

I know some CDW also includes protection against Uninsured drivers.

What I want to know is if anything happens to the car, my fault or not, what insurance do I need so that it's all covered?

Thank you.
SS17 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Gezzs
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SS17 View Post
Hi. I'm hoping I'm in the right place. I have already booked with VH and got a slightly bigger car than the basic. However, I'm just a little confused about what the insurance part covers.

Is that correct?

What I want to know is if anything happens to the car, my fault or not, what insurance do I need so that it's all covered?

Thank you.
I'm sure others will help here, but if you have the basic insurance - you will need more. I was in the same boat with VH. Some really helpful dibbers pointed out my mistake. In the end we cancelled the basic VH car with additional insurance and got a fully insured convertible from DFCH for £200 more (for three weeks).

Definitely check you have full insurance whichever company you hire from.

Florida: July 2009, Aug 2011, Sept 2014, Sept 2018, Sept 2024
Disneyland Paris: Dec 2023
Gezzs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
SS17
I have Ears

I know I need more insurance, but just not sure what I need. Next time I won't bother with the car and just get flights, but I can't cancel it. So now need to just get covered.

Virgin want nearly £600 for their fully comprehensive cover. I got a quote and for not much more for the car and insurance.

I have a quote for about £90 that is CDW insurance, but still not sure if that's all I would need.
SS17 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Gezzs
Imagineer

I know I need more insurance, but just not sure what I need. Next time I won't bother with the car and just get flights, but I can't cancel it. So now need to just get covered.

Virgin want nearly £600 for their fully comprehensive cover. I got a quote and for not much more for the car and insurance.

I have a quote for about £90 that is CDW insurance, but still not sure if that's all I would need.
VH charged me £550 for 'gold' insurance. We cancelled this and the car hire. Not sure why they won't allow you...

Here's the thread I mentioned: https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...ghlight=Virgin

Edited at 01:46 PM.
Gezzs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
SS17
I have Ears

They said they are a Holiday company and can't provide just flights. So the best I can do it just the basic car (this would save £145) for the upgrade to the Rav 4 or similar. I only have their basic insurance.

I could just ignore the Free car and organise something separate, but feels like I'm paying twice and might end up paying more.

So trying to work out if CDW is just paying the excess on a 3rd party claim or if this is covering me for fully comprehensive.

Just read your link. I'm going to price up getting it all separate and ignore the "Free" car. See how much that works out as and then compare with the virgin upgrade and insurance comparison to see how it all looks.

Thanks

Edited at 02:04 PM.
Old 24 May 18, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Greyfriars
Imagineer

Imagine this is your hire car. Do you want to deal with it yourself or would you like a new hire car within one hour!

That is the difference, also some UK insurances have very low limits on third party injury. Remember this is the USA!
You pay your money and take your choice. 😃

Edited at 02:28 PM.
Greyfriars is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Gezzs
Imagineer

They said they are a Holiday company and can't provide just flights. So the best I can do it just the basic car (this would save £145) for the upgrade to the Rav 4 or similar. I only have their basic insurance.

I could just ignore the Free car and organise something separate, but feels like I'm paying twice and might end up paying more.

So trying to work out if CDW is just paying the excess on a 3rd party claim or if this is covering me for fully comprehensive.

Just read your link. I'm going to price up getting it all separate and ignore the "Free" car. See how much that works out as and then compare with the virgin upgrade and insurance comparison to see how it all looks.

Thanks
Hope you get it sorted. It's better to be safe than sorry

Old 24 May 18, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3

Is that correct?

Thank you.
The basic insurance is the State minimum. I'm not sure if its $30000 or $35000 but either way its not enough.
This is what the Americans use and then 'top up' by using their own personal car insurance as well. Thus they are fully insured.

State minimum is worthless and also leaves you without the $1.000.000 supplementray liability insurance that covers damage to other vehicles and injuries to others as well.
Dont have this and be involved in an injury bump and wave goodbye to your house!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 18, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
SS17
I have Ears

Solution!

I contacted Alamo and they have told me that my fees and taxes with them will be $458.64. This is for CDW and taxes, etc.

So this is what I'm going to do this year.

Next year, I'll get flights only and sort the car and insurance as others have mentioned.

Thanks for all the advice.

Now I'll start planning the fun stuff