Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 31 Dec 17, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post

If you are a DVC member and are likely to dine at four or five table service restaurants then consider the Tables in Wonderland card. It costs $150 but that will cover your 20% tip at each restaurant. Once you get to the fifth or sixth meal you are quids (dollars?) in. It is good for up to 10 people including the member, as long as everyone is on the same check, and the Tables in Wonderland member is paying the bill. Also the card gets you 20% off all alcoholic drinks so you can use in bars as well as the restaurants:

disneyworld.disney.go/en...in-wonderland/

Edited at 06:16 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 17, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
If you are a DVC member and are likely to dine at four or five table service restaurants then consider the Tables in Wonderland card. It costs $150 but that will cover your 20% tip at each restaurant. Once you get to the fifth or sixth meal you are quids (dollars?) in. It is good for up to 10 people including the member, as long as everyone is on the same check, and the Tables in Wonderland member is paying the bill. Also the card gets you 20% off all alcoholic drinks so you can use in bars as well as the restaurants:

disneyworld.disney.go/en...in-wonderland/

Thanks for this. Is this a one time purchase? Also, with regards to the DDP, does it work out better value for money if you do character dining?
Old 31 Dec 17, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by act1980 View Post
Thanks for this. Is this a one time purchase? Also, with regards to the DDP, does it work out better value for money if you do character dining?
You might find this dining plan calculator helpful - you out in where you're planning to eat and it works out if you'd be better off with or without the dining plan:
distripplanner

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 17, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Not A fan of DDP but personally i can not see it ending it pulls in more people and they spend more money IE shops on site ect .
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 17, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
You might find this dining plan calculator helpful - you out in where you're planning to eat and it works out if you'd be better off with or without the dining plan:
distripplanner
Thank you. Ive just calculated this and it does work out cheaper. Only thing is that Im not sure if the calculator is adding in cocktails or alcholic drinks?
Old 31 Dec 17, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

If only the £ was stronger hey!
Take up for dining plan for DVCers is pretty low. I saw one poll (had over 400 votes) and it was around 25%. I imagine it’s even lower for U.K. DVCers, given it has to be bought in $s. DVCers are more experienced Disney travellers and know the value isn’t there.

I did distripplaner and over a week, I save about $400 not doing dining plan.

You can get value on dining plan if you purposely plan to the detail level of an SAS storming of the Iranian Embassy, and pick all the most expensive items, and the most expensive restaurants, but you probably wouldn’t eat like that in real life. Also the price has gone up yet again, for the alcohol. My wife doesn’t drink, and I don’t want my kids drinking an extra 1500 calories in a day with 2 speciality milkshakes. It’s bad enough that the dining plan has them eating huge adult meals at 10 years old.
There’s very little convenience argument for it either if staying on site, as you can just charge everything to the magic band.

Only Disney can have a loyalty programme, where you agree to spend all your dining money with them and pay up front, and actually charge more than it would cost out of pocket. When it first started it offered a very good discount, but it’s difficult to make a case for it now, unless you eat buffets every day and always pick the most expensive items and always eat desserts.

Last time I had the plan was 2016 when I got a great deal on a cash OKW booking with DDP thrown in.

Tables in Wonderland can be good. It was a no brainer when it was $50, but like everything, Disney banged the price up. Now you’ve got to spend $750 at participating (and many quick service are missing) restaurants. If you will do that, it is still a no brainer, but I can’t make it pay personally.

Edited at 09:24 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Take up for dining plan for DVCers is pretty low. I saw one poll (had over 400 votes) and it was around 25%. I imagine it’s even lower for U.K. DVCers, given it has to be bought in $s. DVCers are more experienced Disney travellers and know the value isn’t there.

I did distripplaner and over a week, I save about $400 not doing dining plan.

You can get value on dining plan if you purposely plan to the detail level of an SAS storming of the Iranian Embassy, and pick all the most expensive items, and the most expensive restaurants, but you probably wouldn’t eat like that in real life. Also the price has gone up yet again, for the alcohol. My wife doesn’t drink, and I don’t want my kids drinking an extra 1500 calories in a day with 2 speciality milkshakes. It’s bad enough that the dining plan has them eating huge adult meals at 10 years old.
There’s very little convenience argument for it either if staying on site, as you can just charge everything to the magic band.

Only Disney can have a loyalty programme, where you agree to spend all your dining money with them and pay up front, and actually charge more than it would cost out of pocket. When it first started it offered a very good discount, but it’s difficult to make a case for it now, unless you eat buffets every day and always pick the most expensive items and always eat desserts.

Last time I had the plan was 2016 when I got a great deal on a cash OKW booking with DDP thrown in.

Tables in Wonderland can be good. It was a no brainer when it was $50, but like everything, Disney banged the price up. Now you’ve got to spend $750 at participating (and many quick service are missing) restaurants. If you will do that, it is still a no brainer, but I can’t make it pay personally.
That made me laugh!

I also did the triplanner and it shows that I could save $300 by not doing the DDP. I reckon I could save even more than that though because some days we will probably share a lunch, some days we won't always have TS etc. Only thing I'm not sure of is if the calculator is adding in cocktails or alcholic drinks? If it isn't then I wonder if I would break even by doing the DDP?

And you say you can still use your MB to pay if you're not on the DP? I'm guessing it just gets charged to your room from your linked credit card?

I'm not sure about the TIW card, irks me to have to pay $150 for the privilege. I think it should just be part of being a DVC member but then Disney have to rinse every penny out of you don't they!
Old 1 Jan 18, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

That made me laugh!

I also did the triplanner and it shows that I could save $300 by not doing the DDP. I reckon I could save even more than that though because some days we will probably share a lunch, some days we won't always have TS etc. Only thing I'm not sure of is if the calculator is adding in cocktails or alcholic drinks? If it isn't then I wonder if I would break even by doing the DDP?

And you say you can still use your MB to pay if you're not on the DP? I'm guessing it just gets charged to your room from your linked credit card?

I'm not sure about the TIW card, irks me to have to pay $150 for the privilege. I think it should just be part of being a DVC member but then Disney have to rinse every penny out of you don't they!
You can expand the sections to see what amounts it's using, I believe it's just taking an average main, dessert and (non-alcoholic) drink price as per the 2017 plan. As a test, I put in dinner at The Wave (chosen at random as it's a la carte) and it's around $41 per person plus tax and tip. Average main price there is $25, dessert is $11. That only leaves $5 for the drink, which sounds about right for a soft drink.

Yes, you can use your MB to pay not on DDP. It'll charge to room which will then charge to your card either when the charging limit is reached or at check-out, whichever comes first.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
You can expand the sections to see what amounts it's using, I believe it's just taking an average main, dessert and (non-alcoholic) drink price as per the 2017 plan. As a test, I put in dinner at The Wave (chosen at random as it's a la carte) and it's around $41 per person plus tax and tip. Average main price there is $25, dessert is $11. That only leaves $5 for the drink, which sounds about right for a soft drink.

Yes, you can use your MB to pay not on DDP. It'll charge to room which will then charge to your card either when the charging limit is reached or at check-out, whichever comes first.
Thanks! Even with adding on booze I think it still works out cheaper to pay OOP.
Old 1 Jan 18, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Thanks! Even with adding on booze I think it still works out cheaper to pay OOP.
You’ll probably find when paying OOP you’ll buy even less than you put in the distriplanner. For example, we often skip dessert, will eat more quick serve (some are very good, and cuts down on all the planning), my 11 and 14 year olds will often eat kids meals. We are DVC so will have a couple of meals back at the ranch. I am planning on going to Yak and Yeti in Animal Kingdom (on fire with reviews at moment) so just ordered a Landrys card- $25 but get that back on the card, plus another $25 in your birthday month which is when you are visiting Disney of course (!), no need to make an ADR, can just walk right up with the card, allows more spontaneity. That meal would have cost 4 table credits. It will actually cost us about $50 all in, saving in the region of $100 on that meal alone compared to dining plan. These are just some examples.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List