Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 6 May 18, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

Actually thinking of this, more for the high back booster seats, how many of them are actually British anyway? So many people buy a seat take it over with them then leave in the hire car at the end of the holiday, can't see the hire car companies throwing them away?
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 18, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ziggyzag View Post
Actually thinking of this, more for the high back booster seats, how many of them are actually British anyway? So many people buy a seat take it over with them then leave in the hire car at the end of the holiday, can't see the hire car companies throwing them away?
Unless the hire company knows the exact useage and history then they will throw it away even if they do they probably just bin them. They would be opening themselves up to being sued if they gave a customer a car seat that subsequently was found to have been involved in an accident. It's the same reason why you shouldn't buy a second-hand car seat unless you know all its history.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 18, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by foxhillsteve View Post
Anybody had any experience of buying any US approved car seats, but here from the UK?

I know Amazon is possible but the shopping is expensive, eBay all I have contacted will not ship to the UK.

Has anyone found success using any other routes?
Worst case scenario would be to hire the car seats from the car hire company for the first day and then buy your own once in the US.
You might even find out is actually cheaper to hire them for the while trip in the end.

Some car hire companies do limit the total cost of hiring car seat so maybe asking direct with them how much it would be for a week.
There are also a few other websites that will rent out car seats, one I had a quick look at limited the weekly costs to between 30 and 50 dollars per seat depending on size.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 18, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Dendycat
VIP Dibber

Dendycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
Maxi cosi have told me that although my car seats would fit in the latch system they haven’t been tested and so not recommended. I might buy some bubblebum Seats. My two boys are 4&7 so law says boosters ok over there, I’d prefer a hardback seat but bubblebum says they conform to us regulations (plus I can use them as spare seats between my fitted car seats in the uk when back for emergencies)
Dendycat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 18, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ziggyzag View Post
Unfortunately you are clutching at straws to justify your position.
Just say sod the law l will take mine.
I have no issue with this stance you are making a risk v reward decision.
Technically illegal safety wise the same you just play the lower cost game.
Be brave as MrTM and just say so ,most will have no issues with stance its trying to justify something that is illegal that smacks of hypocrisy.
Hope I haven't offended just as I see it.
Old 6 May 18, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Originally Posted by foxhillsteve View Post
Anybody had any experience of buying any US approved car seats, but here from the UK?

I know Amazon is possible but the shopping is expensive, eBay all I have contacted will not ship to the UK.

Has anyone found success using any other routes?
Yes. We've bought them for the last trip and our upcoming trip. We sign up to Amazon.com prime (free for a month) and then order approx 5 days in advance. It's free shipping. We've also bought them from Walmart, also free shipping. We had a nightmare with Walmart though as the delivery didn't turn up and they wouldn't refund for two weeks and actually they were downright rude. So Amazon every time for us.
To my knowledge (and I've looked into this in the past extensively including contacting various groups, my car seat manufactures and stores) there is no seat that exsists that could is legal under both laws. It's not feasible to take my own seats as I have two toddlers. So we buy.

ETA. This site is extremely useful and we buy the Graco Contender 65. It's $99 at the moment on Amazon. csftl/recommended-seats/#convertible
Incidentally, it's airline approved too should you wish to bring it back with you and use it onboard.

Edited at 08:32 PM.
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 18, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by alkel2730 View Post
Yes. We've bought them for the last trip and our upcoming trip. We sign up to Amazon.com prime (free for a month) and then order approx 5 days in advance. It's free shipping. We've also bought them from Walmart, also free shipping. We had a nightmare with Walmart though as the delivery didn't turn up and they wouldn't refund for two weeks and actually they were downright rude. So Amazon every time for us.
To my knowledge (and I've looked into this in the past extensively including contacting various groups, my car seat manufactures and stores) there is no seat that exsists that could is legal under both laws. It's not feasible to take my own seats as I have two toddlers. So we buy.
A Great voice of reason and fantastic advice for what the OP wanted.
How to get a legal seat.
Old 7 May 18, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
Unless the hire company knows the exact useage and history then they will throw it away even if they do they probably just bin them. They would be opening themselves up to being sued if they gave a customer a car seat that subsequently was found to have been involved in an accident. It's the same reason why you shouldn't buy a second-hand car seat unless you know all its history.
Thank you, I didn't know that
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 18, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by alkel2730 View Post

ETA. This site is extremely useful and we buy the Graco Contender 65. It's $99 at the moment on Amazon. csftl/recommended-seats/#convertible
Incidentally, it's airline approved too should you wish to bring it back with you and use it onboard.
Do you have then shipped to your hotel? How do you get to the hotel?
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 18, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duncanb View Post
Unfortunately you are clutching at straws to justify your position.
Just say sod the law l will take mine.
I have no issue with this stance you are making a risk v reward decision.
Technically illegal safety wise the same you just play the lower cost game.
Be brave as MrTM and just say so ,most will have no issues with stance its trying to justify something that is illegal that smacks of hypocrisy.
Hope I haven't offended just as I see it.
I am not clutching at straws, I was asking a question, hence the question marks on the end of the sentences.
I actually said earlier in the thread I would take my own high back booster (yes I value safety, my daughter is 7 and still in a high back, not just a cushion or a bubble gum type seat with no side impact protection) after reading the safety tests for EU and USA high back seats, the UK comes out top so in theory the UK seats are safer. The only question I am concerned about is what would happen legally if there was an accident. Graco high back boosters on UK and USA sites look exactly the same, are named virtually the same, so will email Graco to ask.