Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 7 May 18, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
G.Corlett
Apprentice Imagineer

Satnav

Hi All,
so my VERY old tom tom that i have USA maps for has died, (ok i killed it with a different charger) whats peoples recommendations for a cheep one, i only need it for Florida as my car has satnav so basically need a throw away one as i dont think we will be going back, BUT... we have said that for the last 6 visits
Cheers
Old 7 May 18, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Cantcook
Imagineer

Hi Gary,

Instead of buying a SatNav why not used the saved money towards your data plan on your phone and use Google Maps or Waze. Both include live traffic and Waze will even warn you if there are police out and about.
Cantcook is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 18, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
elliecjno1
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

We used google maps on our mobile data (three include it to use as normal in the USA) & it was great. Our Mustang had in built sat nav but sent us on a wild goose chase more than once so didn't trust it after that.
April '18 - WDW - POFQ & Emerald Island Villa

MAY '20 - WDW - POFQ & AMI CANCELLED BY COVID
elliecjno1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 18, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
rachpluto
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

I was about to ask the same thing... i don't have sat nav in my car...i use Google maps...will check wjat I need to upgrade my plan to usa with ee. hiring a standard sub from Alamo so mat have one already. :-)
rachpluto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 18, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Buy one from Walmart and return with 14 days
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 18, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
KK_Cat
VIP Dibber

KK_Cat's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I've previously used my old TomTom but last trip I downloaded Florida map from Google Maps onto my phone and used that without any issues. Granted I know the area pretty well so wasn't reliant on it but anytime I did need it it worked perfectly. I don't have data available to me in US but that wasn't an issue once I downloaded the map first via WiFi.
Next trip: Nov 2023
KK_Cat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 18, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
smcgirr
Gone all Goofy

Mobile

If you have an android available and don't want any data costs I can highly recommend the app Here We Go. Its free and maps can be downloaded and used offline.
smcgirr is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by G.Corlett View Post
Hi All,
so my VERY old tom tom that i have USA maps for has died, (ok i killed it with a different charger) whats peoples recommendations for a cheep one, i only need it for Florida as my car has satnav so basically need a throw away one as i dont think we will be going back, BUT... we have said that for the last 6 visits
Cheers
If you have a smartphone (iOS, Android, Windows... etc), then download a free app.

If you don't have a data connection whilst abroad, or your connection is very limited or expensive then make sure the app supports offline mapping, e.g. HERE We Go, NavMii, Google Maps...

EDIT: I should point out that last year I took a freshly updated TomTom 6100 that was an expensive piece of kit. It included sim for traffic too. It did NOT work well at all. I was forced to rely on apps for guidance.

Edited at 10:03 AM.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue21
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by smcgirr View Post
If you have an android available and don't want any data costs I can highly recommend the app Here We Go. Its free and maps can be downloaded and used offline.
This is what we used last year. Switched data off and just used GPS it was great.
Blue21 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 18, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Rowlf
Imagineer

Cheap used Garmin with US maps from eBay?

Sell it on afterwards if you don't want to keep it and it costs next to nothing. Still the best tool for the job IMO.