Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 May 18, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
We flew back on Sunday in a refurbished plane and if like me you are overweight there is definitely less wriggle room although I still fitted (size 20 with generous hips !). We had exit row seats so more leg room anyway and IFE certainly has improved but crew have to be careful with trolleys as aisle narrower.

In the short term the only advantage is that there are spare seats and room for all the greatly oversized hand luggage that people insist on using ! Until there are more refurbished planes they are not being filled to capacity to ensure all passengers will fit non-refurbushed plane incase a change is required for any reason.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 03:03 AM  
Link to this Post
prugone
Very Serious Dibber

We flew out of Gatwick to Tampa a couple of weeks ago on an 'old' plane. My seat kept slowly reclining and I had to keep moving it upright again. Most uncomfortable and I had to apologise and explain to the lady sitting behind me. I've changed our pre booked seats for the flight home next week in case it's the same plane. Bring on the refurbs!
prugone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 05:49 AM  
Link to this Post

There is surely nothing new abut 3-4-3 configuration is there? I am sure I have many times been on planes with that, various airlines.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
There is surely nothing new abut 3-4-3 configuration is there? I am sure I have many times been on planes with that, various airlines.
no, nothing new - but these particular Gatwick/MCO BA planes have always been 3-3-3, so there is less room than there used to be for us seasoned BA flyers. There are many reasons people choose their airline. Space is one of them.

edit to add: they have also increased the number of seats without increasing the overhead luggage space 52 - fifty two - extra passengers taking hand luggage! The luxury of being able to take your time boarding and having plenty of space to put it may soon be a thing of the past when they start flying full.

Edited at 07:45 AM.
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
aajp
Very Serious Dibber

TBH, I will not fly BA or Virgin long haul anymore as we were spoilt by Thomson using their Dreamliner's. I'm 6ft 6" and struggle with economy seats on the mentioned carriers especially if the inconsiderate oink in front reclines or tries to their seat. Thomson economy seat still gives me an extra 2" before my knees touch the seat in front and I can stretch my legs out straight.
aajp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Originally Posted by aajp View Post
TBH, I will not fly BA or Virgin long haul anymore as we were spoilt by Thomson using their Dreamliner's. I'm 6ft 6" and struggle with economy seats on the mentioned carriers especially if the inconsiderate oink in front reclines or tries to their seat. Thomson economy seat still gives me an extra 2" before my knees touch the seat in front and I can stretch my legs out straight.
Why would it be inconsiderate for the person in front to recline their seat? The seats recline for a reason and everyone is entitled to use the ability as they wish IMO, otherwise they would be fixed seats.

If someone reclining impacts you due to your height then that would be on you to reserve extra legroom rather than for them not to recline if they wanted to? As you are aware of the seat dimensions etc.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Scotscraig's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Persnicketty View Post
You'd think, huh?

Its an oft quoted benefit cited by folk to justify some reduction or other in passenger benefits or previously integral elements of a flight now being an added fee. But in truth, these strategies rarely manifest as lower or cheap prices as far as I can see.

Profit margins and shareholder returns on the other hand, have rocketed by unprecedented margins over the last 6 years through this sort of premiumization. A 19% rise in IAG company profits last year alone.
This is our third year flying BA at the same time on almost the same flight and each year the price has dropped by almost £100 per person. The flight times this year are the best ever with shortest stop over in Gatwick so in theory you would think that would cost more, apparent not. I'm not saying BA are perfect but they are cheaper than United for the same days and it is only 18 hrs of your holiday. With Disney prices rocketing, at least you can save money somewhere.
Food trip report Oct 2017 with DDP
Food trip report Oct 2018 with DDP

DL 1995, WDW 1998, 2001, Sheraton Vistana Villages 2012, Sheraton Vistana Resort 2014, HRH/WL 2015, WL 2016, AKL 2017, SSR 2018, Newport Bay DLP 2019, Sheraton Vistana Resort 2019
Scotscraig is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
no, nothing new - but these particular Gatwick/MCO BA planes have always been 3-3-3, so there is less room than there used to be for us seasoned BA flyers. There are many reasons people choose their airline. Space is one of them.

edit to add: they have also increased the number of seats without increasing the overhead luggage space 52 - fifty two - extra passengers taking hand luggage! The luxury of being able to take your time boarding and having plenty of space to put it may soon be a thing of the past when they start flying full.
Actually they had 3-4-3 in the past but they had significantly narrower seats instead of making the aisles narrower and fitting new seats with a slight change to the side walls.
You can basically blame Norwegian for this and all those others that go indirect for cheap seats. The vast majority of economy passengers base the flights on price and go with the cheapest, you see it on here everyday!

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
Actually they had 3-4-3 in the past but they had significantly narrower seats instead of making the aisles narrower and fitting new seats with a slight change to the side walls.
You can basically blame Norwegian for this and all those others that go indirect for cheap seats. The vast majority of economy passengers base the flights on price and go with the cheapest, you see it on here everyday!
Not everyone can afford the prices charged for direct flights or premium seating.
Old 23 May 18, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Originally Posted by thatdavieguy View Post
Not everyone can afford the prices charged for direct flights or premium seating.
Then you have a choice. Either take the smaller seat or modify your holidays to increate the saving time for premium seats.

the sad fact is too many just want "Ryanair" pricing for Business seats, its not going to happen.

This is the future of long distance flying.
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List