Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 23 May 18, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

My best three tips:

1) If never used an automatic, keep the left foot well away and just do the right.
2) You can turn right on a red light- treat it as a give way, unless there is a sign saying no right turn on red.
3) When you see a road name hanging above the road at junctions, it means the crossing road, not the road you are on.
Old 23 May 18, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
TGT
Imagineer

I seem to be in a minority but I love the overtaking both sides thing...makes far more sense overtaking in a gap rather than getting boxed in. In the UK they do it but aren't supposed to which can be a bit scary when someone undertakes when you're not expecting it - in the US you just check both your mirrors and get on with it.

I find driving in the US much nicer and the drivers are nicer too. In shopping areas courtesy tends to be shown to pedestrians compared with here where a driver will aim for the shopping pedestrians. That's my experience anyway. It's easy.

Di Gorton
http://www.villasoutherndunes.com

Villa Southern Dunes

Modern Disney-themed villa in the Southern Dunes golf community * Private heated west-facing pool * Sleeps 10* Room for all with sofa, dining & poolside seating for 10 * 2 ensuite doubles (king & queen) * 2 Disney-themed twins * 2 Lounges * 7 Flatscreen TVs * Great games room & amazing dressing up rail

Click >here< to see our Dibb Advert
Email: info@villasoutherndunes.com Florida State License: DWE6312923

TGT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
My best three tips:

1) If never used an automatic, keep the left foot well away and just do the right.
2) You can turn right on a red light- treat it as a give way, unless there is a sign saying no right turn on red.
3) When you see a road name hanging above the road at junctions, it means the crossing road, not the road you are on.
Very good advice, also take your time .
By the time you get to your accommodation you will wonder what you were worrying about
Good luck
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

My best three tips:

YT

I’d just modify number 2 to you must come to a complete stop, before you give way.
Old 23 May 18, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
YT

I’d just modify number 2 to you must come to a complete stop, before you give way.
TC

As you say an extremely important point. You must treat it as a "STOP" and not as a "GIVE WAY". If you do a rolling yield and are seen by the sheriff or state trooper you may be in serious trouble.

Mick
Old 23 May 18, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mick View Post
TC

As you say an extremely important point. You must treat it as a "STOP" and not as a "GIVE WAY". If you do a rolling yield and are seen by the sheriff or state trooper you may be in serious trouble.

Mick
Old 23 May 18, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Ah yes you are correct, I meant you give way to vehicles coming from left. But yes, you have to stop first.
Old 23 May 18, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Ah yes you are correct, I meant you give way to vehicles coming from left. But yes, you have to stop first.
Old 24 May 18, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
JohnnyBravo
Helping Mickey

Mobile

Originally Posted by Fatboyslick View Post
I did take a wrong turn one night though and was one lonely car going through the Epcot was entrance at 1am
Thank you! I now know I'm not the only one lol 😁😁
Sheraton Vistana Village - 2015
NYC/SSR/Avanti - 2018
JohnnyBravo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 18, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

The other thing to remember is in the US, traffic rules are by state so can vary from state to state. some states do not allow right on red and others you need to keep right except to pass (no overtaking on the right).

While I doubt anyone knows the rules in all 50 states, if you meander to another state, it may be worth a quick stop at the rest area to inquire if there is anything "quirky" about driving in that state.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List