Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 1 Jan 14, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Pandaaa
Staying in the Castle

Question car hire help

quick question,

we go to Florida on the 3rd of may and have booked a flydrive with travel city, however i am a little confused..

our car hire is with alamo through travel city.. it says that they will need a credit card when we get there in the main drivers name which is my husband as i dont drive only thing is he doesn't have credit card as he got refused one but i have one. it does say that a visa debit card is ok.. is this right?

any help would be great thanks
Pandaaa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 14, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Conor71
Getting Excited

We had a car with travel city (alamo) a couple of years back and they didn't even check the name on the card! I was the main driver, gave them my mums CC and they just scanned it and gave me it back. They never mentioned anything about it not being in my name but I know a few people on here have said it needs to be in the main drivers name. I sometimes think they don't care in the states who owns the card, just as long as it gets authorised then someone pays! Have a great holiday.

Villa at Southern Dunes 2010;Villa at Marbella 2011;Villa at Westridge 2012;Villa at Southern Dunes 2014
Conor71 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 14, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
mickchick
Imagineer

mickchick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
In answer to your question: yes, a visa debit card is perfectly acceptable to Alamo.
mickchick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 14, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post

we had no problem using a visa debit card in May :-)
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 14, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Pandaaa
Staying in the Castle

thanks for your help

Do they take any money or just swipe the card?
Pandaaa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 14, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post

Just remember that on the debit card, they will ring off a certain amount (which can vary) but this is then unusable all holiday and up to around 7 working days when you get back. A friend of mine uses cash as that is given back straight away upon return of the car.

However, i don't have a credit card but my OH does, and when we rent a car or go to hotels, we use hers, even if i'm down as a lead name. Never had issues.
Old 2 Jan 14, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
We've never had any money 'held' on any card for car hire in 22 years, never had to produce the paper counterpart either although we do carry it at all times just in case! Pussycat
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 14, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Pussycat Doll View Post
We've never had any money 'held' on any card for car hire in 22 years, never had to produce the paper counterpart either although we do carry it at all times just in case! Pussycat
That does seem odd? We had £150 per week for 2 weeks in 2012, and only a month ago had £100 held when we went to Boston. Same with our other trips before then.
Old 2 Jan 14, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Pandaaa
Staying in the Castle

so how much do they take? as we are on limited funds and need to know how much to keep.. im so confused :S
Old 2 Jan 14, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Perhaps speak to the rental company. Only speaking from my experience, i've had money held on a debit card, which is inconvenient, so since then had the OH get a credit card and use that when i'm with her.

In terms of amounts, i've been to a hotel which took $25 per night. but that has varied, as has the amount a rental car company has taken.
Closed Thread