Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Aug 19, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Originally Posted by aqualiv View Post
I have a desk job 9-530 I go to the gym in my lunch break and walk to and from work
The pain usually starts around 3pm then gets worse
We had a guy come in to advice on workstation and I filled out a form but nothing came of it
you need to chase up that form, better yet insist on a new workstation risk assessment. Get on it at the start of your next working day.

Edited at 09:31 PM.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Rik666
Helping Minnie

Mobile

I have a desk job 9-530 I go to the gym in my lunch break and walk to and from work
The pain usually starts around 3pm then gets worse
We had a guy come in to advice on workstation and I filled out a form but nothing came of it
Maybe it's the lunchtime gym doing it? Go to pub instead
Rik666 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rik666 View Post
Maybe it's the lunchtime gym doing it? Go to pub instead
Funny you should say that!
I actually met my mum during my lunch break instead of the gym today and we sat outside the pub
The pain was just as bad this afternoon
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneydreamer91
Proud to wear my Ears

Funny you should say that!
I actually met my mum during my lunch break instead of the gym today and we sat outside the pub
The pain was just as bad this afternoon
Honestly chase work up, if you're having to reduce your hours or go Flexi then they know you're being serious and not just after a new chair or desk or whatever.

Some employers aren't aware of the Display Screen regulations "act" that covers this kind of stuff, but when they are made aware most do tend to do something about it - after perhaps a few nudges.

New account
Disneydreamer91 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Edin View Post
Does anyone else in your office have an adjustable desk you could try for a day or two? i have a few people in my office use them and they have made a difference to them.
No, we have those adjustable foot rests which go under your desk, I have tried those

The padding in the chairs seem very thin so hopping the newer chairs will have more padding

Also thinking whether doing less days or more shorter days would be better
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 12:21 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyStacey
Apprentice Imagineer

It’s unlikely the sciatica is “caused” by your work - but it sounds like it is almost certainly being aggravated by sitting all day.

A thorough workstation assessment would be a great place to start. There are all kinds of ergonomic options out there - sit/stand desks, kneeling chairs, posture chairs, screen height adjusters, ergonomic mouse/keyboard, posture cushions etc.

From the sounds of it, your pain starts from sitting too long, perhaps alternating between sitting and standing may help or getting an additional posture cushion/wedge for your new chair may relieve some pressure off the nerve.

Occupational Health will be able to advise on suitable products for you.

Edited at 09:42 AM.
DisneyStacey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

It's not "work" but the fact you sit for too long.
When at home are you sat curled up with you legs tucked up or are you also sat with good posture,etc.

Physio will recommend you get you and move every 30-40 minutes for a coupe of minutes to stretch. You can do that now. No cost to you or your employer.

Don't use a footstool unless your feet don't reach the floor. Your knees need to be at right angles and feet firmly on the floor. By raising your feet you will put more pressure on your bottom.

A sit/stand frame allows you to stand to work for part of the day. Do a few hours sitting then stand for abit.

posturite/desks-fu...platforms.html

When in the gym are you stretching and moving?

Yes your employer needs to review your workstation but if you continue to sit for too long a better chair isn't the answer.

Edited at 11:22 PM.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Tumpshies
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Siatica is a pest. Ive two hernaited discs at L5 S1 in my back and i have to be careful how i sweep pick things up etc. what can help is yoga. how do you sit at your desk? are your feet flat on the floor with your legs and knees making 45o angle and your sitting up right not leaning forward or back?
Tumpshies is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefully
Proud to wear my Ears

I’m not sure what to do
I’m getting sciatica due to my job, I know this for certain now as I have just returned from 2 weeks off where I didn’t even have so much as a twinge and yesterday first day back it started with a vengeance 😟
My boss is aware and has said to make a doctors appointment, the thing is I know it’s from my job so not sure what the doctor can do as I don’t get it when off work
We have new office chairs on order
Any advice appreciated
My husband has has sciatica for 25 years, he has had a nerve block to his left nerve through the pain clinic at our local hospital and it worked perfectly, unfortunately his right side has not worked and spent some time in a wheelchair on holiday my husband has been told by his neurosurgeon to give up work, please don’t leave it ask for a referral to your local hospital without delay x
Hopefully is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

Where I live they refer you to physio first before anything else. Mine started over a year ago and I can't narrow it's cause down to anything. I spent months going to physio once a month and despite being in agony they wouldn't refer me. I complained in the end. I paid privately for an MRI and the nerve block. Thankfully now under the spinal unit and second nerve block has been fab. I can now carry on as usual except I can't always walk very far. My work wouldn't do anything till i saw occupational health and took guidance from her and were brilliant. I was given reduced hours till I decided to increase them again. I sit down at a desk for 9.5 hours for 3 days. I tried Pilates but it was too much, I now see a personal trainer and have been referred by physio to hydrotherapy for 6 weeks. I can been accepted for surgery and I'm waiting for the pre op assessment but trying to avoid an op if I can.

Edited at 07:50 PM.
borntoshop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List