Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Apr 18, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Thecornflake
Proud to wear my Ears

Flying to airports other than Orlando

Having seen a few people who fly to Miami and then drive up to Orlando (supposedly can be a lot cheaper flights although doesn’t seem to be for our possible dates, maybe because we’d fly from Stansted or Gatwick) I was thinking this might be a nice idea to fit in a drive to see a bit more of florida. Plus there’s probably only 4 of us going so I could rent something like a mustang
I’m aware it’s a good idea to stay close to the airport for the first night then drive the next morning.
Does anyone else do this and if so is it a good idea? And are there any other airports that you can potentially fly to to do this?
Thecornflake is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 18, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
thefergies
Apprentice Imagineer

My sister lives in Kent and has flown to tampa a couple of times with ba although think from Heathrow. Our family villa was on h27 so worked out fine. Quieter than mco.
thefergies is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 18, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Thecornflake
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks I’ll look into it. We live in Essex near Stansted and have family in Kent so have the option of Gatwick Heathrow or Stansted to fly from.
Thecornflake is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 18, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

We are flying Gatwick to Fort Lauderdale (a bit closer to Orlando than Miami) direct in September with BA and got a great fare compared with Orlando at the same time. The drive doesn't bother us as we will have our first rest of the day at the beach then drive up the next day fresh. Our last couple of nights are at Vero Beach which is the same length drive to either MCO or Fort Lauderdale anyway.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 18, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

We flew Gatwick to Tampa with BA in February, we would definitely do it again as it was cheaper and much quicker through immigration
Eccle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 18, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Br14n
Earning My Ears

Mobile

We flew into Tampa last year as we got a direct flight cheaper than we got indirect flights the time before.

I would defiantly recommend it. Despite being at the back of the queue leaving the plane, we cleared customs quickly and was in the car within an hour of getting off the plane.

The drive from Tampa to Orlando after the flight was fine to do after the flight, not overly long.

On the way back is a good opportunity for a beach day before the flight.

I always weigh up costs and convenience, if it's cheaper and I am not going to be put out by doing what makes it cheaper, ie indirect, times or location. Then it's an easy decision.
Br14n is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 18, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
porridge
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I’d just pick whatever is cheaper. The drive from Miami isn’t all that interesting, but if it saves £££ then it’s worth it. I’d price up tampa too. If you don’t mind indirect, then also look at Daytona, fort Myers, Jacksonville etc.
porridge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 18, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We do Sandford MCO or Tampa what ever has the best price /flight times Miami /Fort Lauderdale flights for us add hours and hours on the way home to Glasgow or Edinburgh
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 18, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Thecornflake
Proud to wear my Ears

Fort Lauderdale definitely looks like a good option price wise. A good 200 cheaper per flight compared to mco. And that was with an extra day so perfect for staying close the first night then driving up the following morning.
Old 7 Apr 18, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
If Fort Lauderdale is with BA then it is an earlier landing than Norweigan and I would drive up to Orlando the same day. The Norweigan flight arrives late so staying overnight is probably the better option. If using the main roads it is a boring trip and you will not see any of Florida IMHO. If you use the coast road you will see a little more but it is a lot slower and may not really give you the experience you are after.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List