Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Jul 19, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

What i didn't mention was the 29000 fitbit steps...

Disneysea today. Choice of toystory or journey to center of the earth. Borh have been 90mins consistent and FP go quick. Got here at rope drop and did journey. Most excellent and i advise you NOT to look at videos of it.

Indiana jones next on 10 mins. Again excellent. Then walked past raging spirits just as it opened from maintenance, so we walked on a ride that sat at 70 mins all day. Cursed ourselves that we forgot to get a fastpass in our rush to get to carpets. After carpets characters appeared, the cast of aladin (cue autograph book). Normal japanese courtesy queuing breaks down when characters appear (not as bad as DLP princess mobs though). Genie was on top form. Then more characters appeared when aladin moved on aristocats donald daisy chip n dale! We noticed a cast rubbish collector walking round without doing anything - this wasn't laziness, rhere is no rubbish on the floor. No cig Butt's, no wrappers, no lids etc.

Didnt get lucky on lottery so watched common shows. Got wet on aquatopia wet version. Person in front got really wet, she didnt look happy so be warned if wet version is running. Tower of terror, nemo and whole of triton were walk on after the show. 27k steps today thats close to 20km in 2 days. Yikes. We did the full 8 till 10 today. Hardcore. The kids tell me the park is full of pokemon, even legendary and shiny ones. Plus loads of stops and gyms. They are hatching 10km eggs...

Use the disney app, sure its in japanese but the queue time s are reliable. Also check fast pass times, some fast pass return times are significantly lower than the standby times. I have no idea how - 20k leagues was 30 min standby with a FP return time of 3 minutes! I will upload the photo of this when i do trippy. That wasnt the only one too.

Honourable mention to staff. All of them. I have not seen a single cast member who didnt smile or wave to people. This isn't an exaggeration, i seriously mean staff wave constantly, even the ride attendants. The whole place is efficient, clean and well run. The place is immaculate.

Second honourable mention to the monorail driver who (at 11.10pm) was still smiling and waving to us 4 people and going through the safety brief (only heard if you happen to board next to the cab). Awesome.

Edited at 01:01 AM.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 19, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

Only 23k steps today. Disneyland opens at 9am and we were there at 9.30 after an 8.00 alarm. We got 5kyen vouchers for being an okura member preference hotel so we ate breakfast in the hotel. This was really good (okura is a good hotel).

Focus on shows today, got lottery for oh summer banzai. This was a night show in front of castle with fireworks, flames and water cannons. You get wet. Very wet. We are from the lake district and carry coats. Really good show.

Park busier and at 27c with humidity it was sunburn weather if you didnt have sunscreen.

Clever use of the app got us on all rides except dumbo and peter pan (no FP). The app is awesome and again a number of FP had cash in times within 10 mins of issue time and with 50min on wait!

Ikspiari has a good supermarket, 7 bank atm and food court with good food. Halifax clarity accepted in all the shops and food courts we have been too so far. Supermarket gave us tax off fpr being foreign and paying cash.

One note. The park seems smaller than DLP. Same number of areas (more in fact) seemingly same number of attractions but you can feasibly cross zones to take advantage of small queues etc. Or it could just be our roman slave drive parenting. Kids have loved it so far though.

Note 2. Space mountain here is BTM in the dark and not a hardcore roller coaster that is dlp space mountain.

Note 3. In japan the unaccompanied age is 7. So a 7 year old could be let loose on the park without questions.

Edited at 03:13 PM.
Old 11 Jul 19, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kk20 View Post
Only 23k steps today. Disneyland opens at 9am and we were there at 9.30 after an 8.00 alarm. We got 5kyen vouchers for being an okura member preference hotel so we ate breakfast in the hotel. This was really good (okura is a good hotel).

Focus on shows today, got lottery for oh summer banzai. This was a night show in front of castle with fireworks, flames and water cannons. You get wet. Very wet. We are from the lake district and carry coats. Really good show.

Park busier and at 27c with humidity it was sunburn weather if you didnt have sunscreen.

Clever use of the app got us on all rides except dumbo and peter pan (no FP). The app is awesome and again a number of FP had cash in times within 10 mins of issue time and with 50min on wait!

Ikspiari has a good supermarket, 7 bank atm and food court with good food. Halifax clarity accepted in all the shops and food courts we have been too so far. Supermarket gave us tax off fpr being foreign and paying cash.

One note. The park seems smaller than DLP. Same number of areas (more in fact) seemingly same number of attractions but you can feasibly cross zones to take advantage of small queues etc. Or it could just be our roman slave drive parenting. Kids have loved it so far though.

Note 2. Space mountain here is BTM in the dark and not a hardcore roller coaster that is dlp space mountain.

Note 3. In japan the unaccompanied age is 7. So a 7 year old could be let loose on the park without questions.
We noticed young children travelling on their own lots of times on the trains. They seemed very young to me and we commented on this to each other a lot. Didn’t know about the 7 year unaccompanied rule - some of them seemed to look even younger than that to me.

My grandson will be 7 this year - can’t imagine dropping him off at a theme park for the day on his own!

We walked a huge amount of steps a day also right through the holiday.

It sounds as if you are having a great time.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 19, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

Mobile

Final day in disney. Disneysea for opening today with the idea of toy story mania FP. Usual efficient queues (oh how i will miss those). Within 20 mins of opening the standby queue was 40 mins and FP queue was 20 mins too (and up to lunch time return) we got a return of 16.45 and all FP were gone at about 9.30.

Shows and slow rides were the order of the day so that is what we did. Weather started well but rain appeared around 2pm and stayed for rest of day.

Tested theory that you can have multiple FP as we have toy story 16.45, journey to center earth 20.40 and nemo 18.05 all at the same time. We also used the FP quicker than standby queue trick many times too. Plan! It works.

Didnt get big band beat lottery but did get pirate party tickets. Turned out we got excellent separate area tickets next to package area. Front row splashing ahoy. Cast members were awesome and you get wet. Very wet. Fire hoses, water cannons, buckets, flamethrower s on the ships, explosions in the bay. Really good show. No sitting for this show though so being on the front row was a blessing.

Overall a magnificent Disney stay and quite a tearful farewell. Emotional exit for all of us. A return is definitely on the cards for the future.

I'll do a proper trippy with piccys when i get back to a real PC in a few weeks.
Old 13 Jul 19, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

Kyoto subway is daunting at first but useable when you know how. Subway map has no latin place names. Platform information has the train destination in Latin alphabet. Use hyperdia to get train info you want and match the destination train latin name with time, this has worked for us. Almost no JR trains for our required destinations or N/S trains so we have used suica here.

Halifax clarity worked flawlessly in all shops and 7bank atm so far. Only v small shops have 'no cards' signposted.

Edited at 11:09 PM.
Old 17 Jul 19, 04:20 AM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

Mobile

32 degrees and you can drink the air. Strangely enough it isnt too bad.

If anyone has any Japan queries then I can try to answer. For one, the lockers in Kyoto fit massive suitcases just fine. 700y per day though. There are vending machines for everything, 7 day sim cards with data for 3800y for example.
Old 17 Jul 19, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Have you watched the light show on the stairs at Kyoto Station?
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

Yes, it is pretty good. We looked at night. Kyoto station is massive, not just from a train point of view but from shopping too. The skywalk and observation floor is decent too.

We have just arrived in Tokyo.
Old 19 Jul 19, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Noooo - did not know about any lights at Kyoto station!

The size of that "hole" with the station and shopping up the sides - observation walkway at top was amazing.

Have a great time now that you have arrived
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
Noooo - did not know about any lights at Kyoto station!

The size of that "hole" with the station and shopping up the sides - observation walkway at top was amazing.

Have a great time now that you have arrived
The huge flight of stairs that lead up to the observation deck has a light show at night. The lights are on the stairs themselves and there was sound along with the lights. I hope the link below works as it’s hard to explain!