Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Members Trip Reports > Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports
Ocean Florida
Unread 23 Jul 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Im enjoying reading along. Glad you got to experience part of the launch

We have VHI cover too - must root out the policy and have a proper read of it.
Joshie1 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
CSR - May 2020
Unread 7 Aug 19, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
DisDubs
Gone all Goofy

Day 4 Shopping Day

We slept this morning until 6.45am couldn't believe it! I was absolutely delighted considering it's only our third morning in Florida.

We had a lazy morning around the pool planned for this morning, so breakfast was bagels and coffee again, followed by chocolate muffins just for a change..!

At about noon, we headed to the Buena Vista Factory Stores on S Apopka Vineland Road and then onto the Premium Outlets on Vineland. We normally prefer the Buena Vista stores, as they're less crowded, however, this time, apart from DH who picked up a few bits, we left empty handed. A bit disheartened, we headed on to the Premium Outlets in Vineland. On the way, we stopped at IHOP on South International Drive for a bit of lunch. We had coffee, 2 x Pepsi and a Mountain Dew. DH had the Philly Stacker with fries (Philly sirloin steak, thinly sliced onion, topped with melted American cheese on a grilled roll). DS1 had Pancake Sliders (is it a pancake or is it a burger?) with a side of pancakes (!). These were 2 silver dollar sliders made with original buttermilk pancake mix and filled with scrambled egg and bacon and were actually really nice..! I had the Southwest Scramble with home fries (scrambled eggs with jack and cheddar, topped with salsa and avocado) - this came with toast. DS2 had chicken nuggets with a side of fruit and also a side of sausages. He also ate my toast this is the child that eats nothing at home! Everything was tasty nothing spectacular. Cost was $48 excluding tip.

After lunch, we headed on to the Outlets at Vineland. Half way around, we stopped for ice-cream 2 x double cups. One cup had 2 scoops of Cookie Dough, the other had a scoop of chocolate and a scoop of mint. Cost $13.82. This was about the most money I spent on our shopping day. DH got shirts, jeans, socks, t-shirts, boots and runners. DS's got runners and I got nothing. I was very disappointed with the lack of bargains / choice.

On the way home, we thought about stopping off for food, however none of us were very hungry. We nipped into Walgreens for water, milk, toiletries and sour skittles. We didn't feel like losing two hours of our lives in Target or Walmart.. We headed home and had skittles, lemonade and microwave popcorn (and beer and wine for the adults). Cost excluding toiletries - $26.19.

Total food spends today - $88.01
Overall food spends - 36.26 & $393.25
DisDubs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Definitely, maybe..
Unread 8 Aug 19, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
DisDubs
Gone all Goofy

Day 5 Crazy Golf & Toy Story 4

We were awake at 4.20am this morning. It seemed that our neighbour's pool pump was running very loudly all night. That combined with a phone call from DFS advising us that our new sofa was due for delivery the following week, had us up super early..!

As we were up so early, we decided to go out to Perkins for breakfast, this morning. We had a pot of coffee, a glass of orange juice and a glass of milk. DS1 had the French Toast platter with scrambled egg and bacon, DH had the Build Your Own Breakfast with eggs, hash browns and sausage patties. This came with 3 buttermilk pancakes. DS2 had a grilled cheese with fries (yes, at 9.00am). I had Eggs in a Hole - sourdough bread grilled with an egg in the middle. This came with hash browns and bacon. Cost was $39 not including tip. We also had a coupon for 20% off. The service was absolutely terrible. The food had been left under heat lamps, so the eggs were hard and congealed. Coffee wasn't refilled and we had to ask for the cookies that came with the kids meal. Server was totally disinterested and more concerned with the American couple sitting behind us. Very disappointing for Perkins.

After a lovely game of mini golf (in the baking heat) at Congo River Golf on the 192, we headed to Disney Springs to see Toy Story 4. We had an hour to wait before the movie started, so we decided to have a drink in Splitsville. Two lemonades, a Pepsi and a Bud Light. The server also brought us iced water, as it was really warm today. We got refills on the Pepsi and Lemonade, although we didn't ask for them. I was a bit nervous about how much it was going to cost us, considering we hadn't asked for refills..! The bill came to $8.52. We immediately queried it with our server as the sodas had been clearly unaccounted for. He apologised and said he didn't charge us for the sodas, as he had left us waiting (which he hadn't). He said the sodas were on him. Not only that, when he heard we were going to the movies, he insisted he refill our drinks (not the Bud Light unfortunately ). So in total we had 3 Pepsis, 5 lemonades and a Bud Light for $8.52! A little bit of Disney magic and we made sure to thank him and tipped him well..

At the movies, we got three large popcorns and a bag of Skittles. Cost $33.84.

Toy Story 4 was brilliant me and DS2 cried. The other two didn't shed a tear - heartless..! DH did mention something about the pollen count and allergies though..

After the movie, we went to Walmart for a few supplies breakfast cereal, Oreos and alcohol. Cost $40.00.

Dinner this evening was take out from Panda Express and McDonalds. We had the Family Feast from Panda Express a large noodles and a large rice along with 3 entrees. We chose Orange Chicken, Sweet Fire Chicken Breast and Shang-hai Angus Steak. Really tasty and more than enough for all of us to share - we left about a third. Cost was $41. DS2 had a six piece Nugget Happy Meal with fries, apple slices and a drink. Cost - $4.08.

Evening finished off with beer and wine (again..!) while sitting around the pool enjoying the fading sun.

Total food spends today - $166.44
Overall food spends - 36.26 & $559.69
DisDubs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Definitely, maybe..
Unread 8 Aug 19, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Pity about the service in Perkins but your server in Splitsville made up for it.
Panda Express is a firm favourite in this household and is top of the as yet short list DS has for our trip next year.
Joshie1 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
CSR - May 2020
Unread 10 Aug 19, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
DisDubs
Gone all Goofy

Day 6 - Gatorland & Pool

6.00am start this morning early, but not as early as yesterday morning..!

Breakfast this morning was cereal Cornflakes, Kelloggs Multigrain Shapes and Fruit Loops. Cereal was followed by chocolate muffin, cherry pie and pecan pie (only on holiday..! )

Today we were visiting Gatorland. The park was really busy and the humidity was intense so we decided to call it a day at about lunchtime. We decided on Steak 'n' Shake for lunch. Myself and DH had the Jalapeno Crunch Burger. I upgraded to cheese fries. DS1 has a plain Double Steak Burger with cheese and DS2 had the kids hot dog meal. We also had a side of onion rings. Drinks were 2 x cokes, a chocolate milkshake for DH and an M&M's milkshake for DS1. As it was Happy Hour, we got all our drinks for half price! Burgers and onion rings were awesome really juicy and flavourful. The milk shakes were also delicious but the fries were a bit of a let down. They were so skinny you couldn't use a fork to pick them up or they'd shatter and the upgraded cheese fries had barely any cheese! It didn't put us off though. The food was lovely and we'd definitely revisit. Total cost $25.75 exluding tip.

Apologies for the half eaten burger..!

Look at the state of cheese fries..! They were still tasty though..

We headed back to the villa for a few hours in the pool and the decided on a late dinner at about 8.00pm, just as a storm was brewing. Tonight's choice was Bob Evans on the 192. On arrival, the restaurant was pretty empty and we were seated straight away. While waiting to order, we noticed not too many people eating in, but a constant stream of customers collecting take out.

Apologies in advance.. We totally forgot to take pictures of our dinner. We were almost finished before DS2 said the dreaded words the photos!... I'll carry regardless and see what I can snip from Google Images.. Sorry!

I had the Turkey Dinner (slow roasted turkey with mashed potato, carrots and gravy). I also ordered a side of broccoli (I was craving vegetables at this stage!). I also upgraded to include a soup and sundae for an extra $1.99. Soup was chicken noodle and while very nice it had the biggest noodles I'd ever seen in a soup they were almost like penne pasta! DH had Country Fried Steak with mashed potato and green beans with bacon. DH swapped the country gravy for brown gravy. DS1 also had the Country Fried Steak with fries but kept the country gravy on the side. DS2 had a grilled cheese sandwich with a side of mashed potato. Drinks were 2 x cokes and 2 x lemonade. Apparently, they don't sell alcohol.

(It didn't look like this..)

(Or this.. )

For desert, myself and DS2 had a fudge sundae, DH had coconut cream pie and DS1 had country apple pie. Total cost was $58.78 excluding tip, but we had a $4 off voucher, so $54.78 plus tip.

Food was a nice change to what we'd been eating for the last few days. Service was desperate though so slow. We could see our food under the lamps but no sign of our server. Carry Out seemed to take priority over seated guests. Food arrived warm. My soup arrived after I had started my dinner and I'm raging that we forgot to take photos as the food looked nothing like the menu pictures! Overall, the food was just OK. The Turkey dinner was the highlight, but I'm not sure we'd go back.

Total food spends today - $80.53 excluding tips
Overall food spends - 36.26 & $640.22
Definitely, maybe..
Unread 10 Aug 19, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
DisDubs
Gone all Goofy

Day 7 Daytona Market

Awake at 6.45am this morning. I can't believe we're already a week into our holiday! We had a cup of coffee and a swim before heading to Denny's for breakfast. When we arrived, there was a 20/30 minute wait, so we decided to head to IHOP across the road instead, where we were seated straight away.

We had 2 coffees and 2 apple juice. DH had the Breakfast Sampler (2 eggs, 2 bacon, 2 sausages, slices of thick cut ham, hash browns and 2 pancakes). DS1 had a Pancake Combo with Mexican Churro pancakes, scrambled egg, bacon and hash browns. These pancakes were amazing! They tasted like a warm, sticky cinnamon bun. DS2 had toast with a side of sausages (surprise, surprise!), and I had the Split Decision (2 eggs, 2 sausages, 2 bacon, a slice of French Toast and 2 pancakes). Food and service were great, as always. IHOP delivers a really consistent level of quality and service - we love it! Cost was $43.45 plus tip.

Breakfast was late, so we decided to skip lunch. We had a few handfuls of kettle popcorn that we bought in Daytona Market 2 huge bags for $10.

On the way back from Daytona, we decided that we'd have an early dinner this evening, so settled on Chilis on the 192. We thought as we'd skipped lunch, we could splash out a bit on a bigger dinner. Big Mistake. This was the most disappointing and expensive meal of our trip so far.

We ordered 2 lemonades, a red wine and a beer. We also ordered a sample to share as our appetiser. Triple Dipper buffalo boneless wings, fried pickles and awesome blossom petals (that weren't awesome) they was basically bits of onion rings. The sampler came with 3 dips and was ok, but pretty greasy. When our appetiser arrived, our server went off to get some side plates, but never returned.. This was the start of things to come..

We waited for our mains and finished our drinks and there was still no sign of our entrees or our server. The restaurant was busy but not massively busy. 40 minutes after finishing our drinks and appetizer, our main course arrived along with some ice water - we clearly weren't getting refills on our drinks!

DH and DS1 had the Smokehouse Combo brisket and ribs, side of corn on the cob, garlic toast and fries. They said this was nice. DS2 had the cheese quesadillas and fries, which he enjoyed. I had the 1975 Chilli soft tacos and a side of broccoli. My food was stone cold, everyone else's was just warm. I went looking for our server but couldn't find her and we were hungry, so we made the most of what we had and started eating.

When our server finally returned to ask if everything was ok, I mentioned my cold food. She immediately said it was her first day and she'd get the manager. A few minutes later the manager came over to apologise. We didn't want a fuss and I had made an attempt to eat the food anyway. The manager offered us desert but we declined. Bill arrived - $88 - AND we had been charged for my meal and the side of cold broccoli, even though we had complained! I was so annoyed that I made sure to reflect how I felt in the tip. It still galls me that I had to leave a tip for such a bad experience..!

After leaving, we headed back to the villa where DH discovered his phone was gone. We rang it and it wasn't answered but the only place it could have been was the restaurant. All I was worried about was the photos for my food report..! He hopped in the car and drove back - thankfully, he got it back, but it could have been a REALLY expensive meal. We definitely won't be back to Chilis there's much better places to eat.

Finished the evening off and calmed down with a few drinks around the pool.

Total food spends today - $141.45 excluding tips
Overall food spends - 36.26 & $781.67
Definitely, maybe..
Unread 10 Aug 19, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Shkyler
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Is that cheese dip in a can?! Looks delicious! Chilis can be hit and miss sometimes its a pity but luckily got the phone!
Shkyler is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
First Family trip to Disney
Unread 10 Aug 19, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
DisDubs
Gone all Goofy

Yep, cheese dip in a can! Yummy and addictive..
Definitely, maybe..
Eat and Play Card