Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Aug 19, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Pension age worries

Anyone else born after 1961 worried about the latest murmurings from Iain Duncan Smith... It proposes raising the eligible pension age to 70 by 2028 and 75 by 2035.

And has been proposed at the same time as government "leaks" on Brexit... (usual sneaky cover tactics for big unpalatable changes)

So glad of a civil service pension.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Anyone else born after 1961 worried about the latest murmurings from Iain Duncan Smith... It proposes raising the eligible pension age to 70 by 2028 and 75 by 2035.

And has been proposed at the same time as government "leaks" on Brexit... (usual sneaky cover tactics for big unpalatable changes)

So glad of a civil service pension.
No I hadn't seen that. I guess the current system isn't sustainable at all, but 70 and 75 seems quite old to still.be working, esp if a physical role.
Surprised at IDS saying that he supported that though.

Not sure it matters if you have a civil service pension or not tbh. I think it's tied to the state pension age. Alpha anyway.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

Funnily enough I have just read this myself.
As a courier, running round the streets delivering parcels is not something that I am looking forward too past 60, never mind 75, or whatever age they come up with next
Let's be honest, they just want us all dead so that we aren't a drain on society and the rich can carry on getting richer
ansi41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

They can only do it if people vote for them.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
No I hadn't seen that. I guess the current system isn't sustainable at all, but 70 and 75 seems quite old to still.be working, esp if a physical role.
Surprised at IDS saying that he supported that though.

Not sure it matters if you have a civil service pension or not tbh. I think it's tied to the state pension age. Alpha anyway.
Luckily I have preserved Classic... and have just taken early retirement (55) - whilst working part time in a small shop. (yes, I know how lucky I am... I am generally one of life's "jammy gits" as my brother always says)
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
I had a Teachers’ pension which I could take at 60 but I couldn’t access my state pension until 66. I had planned to keep working ‘till 66 but found that I just couldn’t. I took my TP at 62, paid off the mortgage balance and any other debts and it’s the best thing I ever did. My pension isn’t huge, but with DH’s Police and state pensions we get by very well as we have very few outgoings. I certainly couldn’t have kept going into my 70s!
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

This drives me bonkers as there seems to be no thought about the knock on effect raising the pension age has elsewhere. If I'm working until I'm 75 my job is not being freed up for someone younger taking it on and so where are all the extra jobs going to come from for all the extra working age population? We struggle with unemployment as it is at times in this country.

There is also talk of us needing to take care of our elderly ourselves. How can I take care of my mum who is 24 years older than me when I will still need to be working full time.

I get that with an ever aging population something needs to be done but it just annoys me that these things aren't addressed.

Rant over!
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
I'm retiring next week, at 56. But going back part time. I am a practice development midwife, certainly couldn't work as a clinical midwife at 75 🤤

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Mobile

Wont we all need two careers? One while we have the energy and one for when we don't?
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasarah
VIP Dibber

floridasarah's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I was born in 1967, I have already had my state pension raised to 67. I can get my NHS penison at 60. I will work on part time if my health allows it but working until 70 I bet I will just be in the age group they move to 70.

Saying that my Dad worked until he was 70 in a physical job.
floridasarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List