Old 6 Jan 21, 07:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
This all sounds so stressful. I have teacher friends and I just don’t think enough parents realise the strain you are all under.
I hope you’re able to find time to relax and clear your mind.

I’ve just had an email from DS’s college to say that they have taken the decision to cancel all BTEC exams. I have no idea where this leaves them if it’s not the official stance? 😱😬
Well, in a confusing twist of events we have received an update from the exam board who deliver BTECs saying no student will be disadvantaged if we aren't able to allow the exams to go ahead this week. It's very odd, basically they are saying we can run the exam as normal for the kids, but if we are unable to then no candidate will be disadvantaged, but as per usual, there is no explanation of what this actually means.

Originally Posted by Cutiepie View Post
Hey Abby,

That all sounds really stressful. Here in NI they haven’t announced what they are doing about exams Nathan was supposed to be sitting a GCSE English next week and also his mocks and they week is now study leave. He is still working away but lost some motivation today. His mocks won’t be happening next week but the school hadn’t scheduled any lessons for the week.

Between myself and the kids we are in 3 different schools and their approaches to virtual lessons is different. My school are not offering any live lessons Keira’s school are providing some live and some recorded and at other times just setting work. Nathan’s school are providing mainly live lessons and work.

I just hope they make a decisions about exams soon. It is very unsettling

K
Poor Nathan, it's all so stressful for kids and motivation is tricky at the best of times. I really hope there is not an announcement that the work they do now doesn't count for anything. I'm well aware that this work done at home is likely a joint effort with parents or siblings helping, but last year Max did no work between March and September and I don't think this is the best set for starting A Levels. If that happens again then these kids are really going to struggle when they move on the next faze of their education.

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
Thanks Abby. I didnt mean to turn your lovely thread into a reminder of work for you so sorry to you and everyone x

Here's to more lovely food and drink reports as soon as we have the opportunity.
No need to apologise at all, I wrote the message! I just wanted to give people who don't want to read about it all an option...take care, it seems we are going or have to decide whether to get kids to sit the BTECs etc this week or not.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 21, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
It was fun to share Christmas with a few people, I really enjoyed it. Oh and between us I'm sure we could rival the glassware of any pub this year I plan on adding proper hurricane glasses to my collection as I don't have any and let's face it the glass makes a massive difference to the drink. Not. Even. Joking

Warning for those NOT wanting to read about reality and covid...the following long message relates to my experiences at school. While I don't think what I say below is negative I'm well aware that this thread was an escape from all that and want to give you the option of not reading...It was a pleasure having your company for the Christmas Food, no need for you to read the rest of this reply.

We are not reverting back to our bubbles from before Chritsmas, meaning strict social distancing for all students while waiting for the exam, when entering the room and of course in the room, with masks on all the time until seated and then it's optional for each student if they wish to remove the mask during the exam. We have taken delivery of the lateral flow tests but given the length of time between taking the test and getting the result it does sort of drag out the pre exam nerves, so at the moment we are on the side of not testing them in the hour before the exam starts. We have set up a testing site for 10 people at a time and Government guidelines say it takes 10 minutes to carry out the test and 20 minutes waiting for the result. So 10 testing bays gives us 60 tests per hour, but you have to add on wait time to get the result, so all the results will be 90 minutes for those who took the test in the last group. Long story short some kids would have to arrive pretty early to all be tested before the exam where we have large cohorts. My feeling is I don't think it would be helpful to test for Covid on the day of the exam as it would add significantly to the student stress levels.

As a side note, we have been encouraging all our year 11 and year 13 to not give up in their studies. Our year 11 were isolating at home the last week of term before Christmas due to multiple cases in the year group and we had better attendance today in our virtual lessons than before Chrsitmas. We've tried to impress upon them that all their work could be used as evidence so they have an opportunity now to demonstrate their knowledge and skills over time, rather than just in an exam. We haven't got a clue how they will be graded but we are encouraging them to think of it like coursework in years gone by...more of a marathon than a sprint...and they have a chance now to show how great they are at all their subjects by participating and engaging well in virtual lessons, submitting all the classwork and homework for teacher marking and feedback and doing mini classroom (virtual) topic tests which show whether or not they have improved over time. To be honest this is what we normally do in all our lessons at this time of year, but they don't know that and they think they are gathering together lots of really useful evidence for us that we will need for their grades. Of course usually this work would then be their revision materials.

As another side note. I'm a maths teacher and we are feeling the Government may opt to have exams in some subjects at GCSE...those subjects being English and maths. They had put in two exams prior to the May half term for GCSE and those two exams were English and maths. So, maybe there will be some formal examination in those subjects. This is entirely speculation on my part. So don't take this as gospel.

Finally, whatever happens, please all reassure your kids who are waiting to find out how they will get graded this year that we are all working hard to support them and to make sure they end up with the grades they deserve. I appreciate there are varying standards of virtual lessons in the same way there are varying standards of real life lessons, but I would like to think most of us are doing our best to provide good quality virtual lessons. I was in school today supporting the key worker provision while teaching my lessons online and covering virtual lessons for absent colleagues (we have quite a few people who are off sick as they are covid positive). We are trying to teach all lessons virtually, but with the absence we have I think some lessons may have to be independent activities set for private study, but that is likely to be just a couple of lessons a week. We are far better equipped now than in the previous lockdown. We are loaning out our school laptops for families with multiple kids and limited access and we have bought loads of USB Dongles for those who dont have internet access at home (Google it, yes they are a real thing, I'd not heard of them before the first lockdon). Plus we have given out food vouchers to all the families with kids who get free school meals. It's not ideal, of course we would rather be in school, but I do think we are better prepared and better off in this situation than the in school, isolation hokey cokey dance we were doing before Chrsitmas.
I had no idea what you did for a living before this Abbey, you are obviously a very caring, dedicated teacher and I can hear your sadness and frustration in the post you have written. Take care of yourself, you are obviously doing all you can to provide help to your students and at the moment, that’s all you can do. You also have to look after your own stress levels and health too 💞

I’m pleased you had a good Christmas (as good as it can be at least) and that the food report gave you a little escape from the daily worries. I’ve really enjoyed following along too so thanks for taking the time xx
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 21, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
Hi Alicia, I hope Boris is feeling ok, cheeky boy.

The Mexican spicy chicken is super easy. Pop 3-5 chicken breasts in the slow cooker and add a tin if tomatoes, a tin of kidney beams in chilli sauce, a chopped onion, a heaped teaspoon of smoked paprika and also one of ground cumin and one of mild chilli powder, I also add a tablespoon of chilli flakes (obviously if you don’t like it too hot then don’t add), some minced garlic or whole cloves if that is more your thing and leave for several hours. If you find it is a bit liquidy you can leave the lid partially off to reduce the sauce. Shred the chicken (two forks will do the trick) just prior to serving. I serve this over rice and top with cheese and salad but we also use the leftovers in wraps or for homemade nachos!
I've just put this in the slow cooker for later...thank you

Am going to try a Bundt cake at some point too.

Loads of great ideas on this thread...thank you!
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 21, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
You can serve it hot or cold, I like to serve it warm in a boule. I always get asked to bring this when we go to bbq’s or parties.

1 large tub Philadelphia cream cheese (2 if there are lots of people)
1/2 tub sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
6 spring onions chopped
1 can of corn (you could also use frozen, just defrost it first)
2 packs of bacon cooked and chopped
1 cup grated cheese

Mix everything together. Take the top off the boule and scoop out the bread from inside and save (these bits are great toasted and good to use to scoop the dip) pop the dip inside and replace the lid before popping into the oven to warm through. Enjoy!
Thank you, what temperature do you usually stick it on and how long to warm through?
I can’t wait to try it 😊
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 21, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Thank you, what temperature do you usually stick it on and how long to warm through?
I can’t wait to try it 😊
I usually pop it in at 160deg (my oven is fan forced) for about 20 minutes. You can speed it up by popping the dip in the microwave to heat and then popping it in the boule before heating it in the oven. Adam would eat it cold from the bowl if I let him!
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 21, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
I had no idea what you did for a living before this Abbey, you are obviously a very caring, dedicated teacher and I can hear your sadness and frustration in the post you have written. Take care of yourself, you are obviously doing all you can to provide help to your students and at the moment, that’s all you can do. You also have to look after your own stress levels and health too 💞

I’m pleased you had a good Christmas (as good as it can be at least) and that the food report gave you a little escape from the daily worries. I’ve really enjoyed following along too so thanks for taking the time xx
Thank you that is lovely to read, it has been a hectic week so far, with lots of twists and turns in announcements. I feel a little less frantic and more on top of things today, I managed to sleep better last night so that helped. Funnily enough a colleague said something similar to me earlier this week, we do have to look after our own health as if we run ourselves into the ground then we aren't going to be helping in the long run. I do know I have to make time for relaxing, it's just not always easy.

I hope you and your family stay safe and well,

Take care x

Originally Posted by margyloveswdw View Post
I've just put this in the slow cooker for later...thank you

Am going to try a Bundt cake at some point too.

Loads of great ideas on this thread...thank you!
This Mexican chicken recipe is one I want to try too and I've pencilled it in for the weekend. It looked so good, I hope you enjoyed it.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List