Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Jun 21, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
globedust
slightly serious Dibber

Extension help

We are looking to demolish a very dated conservatory and build a proper garden room and extending along the back to improve our kitchen/layout internally. Ideally at the same time we will knock through into our garage to extend our snug and moving a porch.

Neither myself or DH are particularly practical so we will be relying on professionals to help us. We are looking at applying for planning permission within the next 12 months approx and want to make sure we do our research and get it right. We know there are a huge number of considerations.

I know lots of people on the Dibb have extended or renovated so I am after advice on where to start. Can anyone help with the following questions?

1. We need an architect. Beyond looking at professional body membership, what are the criteria we should be using to pick someone?

2. We know the basics of what we want but need inspiration as to the style, glazing, etc. Where is the best place to get properly worked through ideas? Lots of people say Pinterest but honestly its hard to know how realistic the extensions are without costs etc. Is there are a decent trade magazine maybe?

3. Costs. Is the right way to do this to get an architect to draw plans, get someone (a prospective building firm?) to cost it out and then if we need to, change the plans? I am assuming all this needs to be front loaded before applying for planning permission in case we need to change the design if it becomes unmanageable budget wise.

Any other tips would be hugely welcomed. Thanks.
globedust is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Following with interest as we’re almost in exact same position (summer room needs rebuild, we want to redesign kitchen at same time and also want to better connect (and rebuild) an additional room that is effectively an out-house).

We’re about to look for an architect right now. Sorry I can’t be much help but I know where you’re coming from! Hard to know where to begin..
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

We had an extension built in 2018. We didn't have an architect but a fabulous builder .

We didn't need planning permission as it was under permitted development rules.

Our extension was 4m out and 5m across.

We extended our kitchen to make a kitchen/family room and love it.

If your near Cheshire I can highly recommend builder. He's just completed another in my road.

Happy to answer questions on what we did/considered. I did a thread back at the time. It cost about £26k plus flooring/kitchen.

Before

After (

Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
skb 123
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We approached our Council's planning department first for advice. Whilst they couldnt recommend anyone, they did give us the names of 3 people who submitted plans "regularly" and were "familiar with the Council's planning regulations" 😉 We went with one of those and all went well.
skb 123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I would get an architect as they can see way beyond what you or a builder can. They will have ideas that may make something good into something great.

And get a solid contract. I can not emphasise this enough. This saves any bother when you get a builder in. Just look at the dozens of posts on the DIBB over the years where things have gone "wrong" or weren't meeting expectation.

These two things will help save so much pain and anxiety in what can be a stressful project.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
globedust
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
We had an extension built in 2018. We didn't have an architect but a fabulous builder .

We didn't need planning permission as it was under permitted development rules.

Our extension was 4m out and 5m across.

We extended our kitchen to make a kitchen/family room and love it.

If your near Cheshire I can highly recommend builder. He's just completed another in my road.

Happy to answer questions on what we did/considered. I did a thread back at the time. It cost about £26k plus flooring/kitchen.

Before

After (

Looks fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing. We are North Yorkshire based but the costs are helpful to know. Our garden room will be similar size but the kitchen is to the side so the extension will be along the whole if the back of the house as far as we can go. I am finding it hard to visualise at the moment.
globedust is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
globedust
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by skb 123 View Post
We approached our Council's planning department first for advice. Whilst they couldnt recommend anyone, they did give us the names of 3 people who submitted plans "regularly" and were "familiar with the Council's planning regulations" 😉 We went with one of those and all went well.
This is a great idea, will defo try this, thank you! Only thing is we are in a district council area and they are deciding whether it should remain so or become a unitary authority under North Yorkshire so its all change. Adding delay too of course.
Old 14 Jun 21, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
globedust
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
I would get an architect as they can see way beyond what you or a builder can. They will have ideas that may make something good into something great.

And get a solid contract. I can not emphasise this enough. This saves any bother when you get a builder in. Just look at the dozens of posts on the DIBB over the years where things have gone "wrong" or weren't meeting expectation.

These two things will help save so much pain and anxiety in what can be a stressful project.
Absolutely on the contract. I work in the legal world so its a must for me. I am sold on an architect after my parents used one and he suggested different ideas they had not thought of, which I could definitely use being less than practically minded. Thanks for the advice
Old 14 Jun 21, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by globedust View Post
Absolutely on the contract. I work in the legal world so its a must for me. I am sold on an architect after my parents used one and he suggested different ideas they had not thought of, which I could definitely use being less than practically minded. Thanks for the advice
Good luck with the project. It is very exciting!
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 21, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by globedust View Post
Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Good luck with the project. It is very exciting!
I don't contribute much these days on building type threads but having retired just over 5 years ago after practising as a Quantity Surveyor for over 50 years I agree wholeheartedly about a contract. It will tie both parties down to the scope of works (plans and specs etc) time scales, damages for late completion, controlling variations and methods of payment.

I never really worked on residential stuff but before I retired there was a suitable contract issued by the JCT (Joint Contracts Tribunal) which was suitable for Minor Works - I'm sure that it still exists.

Have to agree about an Architect although a lot of them do need reining in a bit when understanding costs. Might be worth spending a few quid on a QS as well. The QS will produce robust tender documents and control variations and payments. As well as providing cost advice at the early stages.

This is not a marketting pitch - my PII expired in 2015.

Mick

Edited at 08:09 AM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List