Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Mar 21, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My first trip to the Florida we had no clue about what to tip. I knew about tipping in general but it was one of those things I did not clarify with the Dibbs before going. We were tipping about 20% to 25% per meal. Bloody cost us a fortune

We learnt on our next trip but to be honest we hover around the 15% to 20% still.

However on the rare occasion (I can remember twice) I have had poor service I did let people know by not leaving a tip but they were aware this was going to happen as I told them.

My biggest shame is the time we had a lovely meal with great service and we just forgot to tip. We were so embarrassed and were mortified when we realised. I was to scared to go back
Old 3 Mar 21, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
josephus_fl
slightly serious Dibber

josephus_fl's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by dotb View Post
Um let me think... no I will not reward bad service by giving a 15% tip! How will they ever start to give the service they should be giving if they’re going to get the same tip regardless?
You’re not alone in missing how the restaurant operates.

The restaurants here charge less for food because they pay their staff less than minimal wage. There is an expectation that customers make up this short fall. I don’t like this system, but it is what it is.

If you choose to not tip or tip poorly, your basically saying that the person who served you should be working for free or in some instances are actually paying to serve you. This happens when servers have to pay a fixed amount of the bill to other employees in the restaurant, regardless of what they were actually tipped.

If a server performs badly then you need to speak to a manager. This will have a knock on effect of them loosing hours, getting worse shifts and eventually loosing their job. You should still tip because it’s the decent thing to do.

The tip is not a bonus to their salary - it is their salary.
josephus_fl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by josephus_fl View Post

The restaurants here charge less for food because they pay their staff less than minimal wage. There is an expectation that customers make up this short fall. I don’t like this system, but it is what it is.

If you choose to not tip or tip poorly, your basically saying that the person who served you should be working for free or in some instances are actually paying to serve you. This happens when servers have to pay a fixed amount of the bill to other employees in the restaurant, regardless of what they were actually tipped.

If a server performs badly then you need to speak to a manager. This will have a knock on effect of them loosing hours, getting worse shifts and eventually loosing their job. You should still tip because it’s the decent thing to do.

No I know perfectly well how restaurants and bars work over there I’ve been travelling over there for almost 20 years!

If a server performs badly then I will speak to a manager but I will not tip for bad service which in some cases is akin to being treated like 💩 and totally ignored. It’s nothing to do with being the decent thing to do. It is the decent thing to do for them to do their job properly and give the good service they are supposed to if they can’t do that then I would suggest they move to a non customer service job. I am basically saying they should do their job properly!

I don’t understand why you think anyone should pay a tip ‘service charge’ for non existent or bad service. Like I say I have American friends from various states and they will not tip for bad service. They think us Brits are mad for falling for the 20-25% tip line. Are you a server by any chance 😂😂😂

Edited at 06:28 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

Just my opinion but you seem to be putting a lot on to the customers shoulders there

Think I’ll make a packed lunch next time
Old 3 Mar 21, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

A few weeks ago I thought I'd be so glad to see the tipping threads back and normality restored on The Dibb.

Now we're having the exact same debate, which changes nobody's mind and goes round and round and round. Have you run out of things to fight in circles about on the covid forum? 😂
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

I always tip 15-20% for good service on the rare occasions I have had below average service then I won’t tip anything but will always speak to the manager and the waiter/waitress and explain why
Orlandoguy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
spinone lover
Excited about Disney

I must be the odd one out because in 25 years of visiting Florida,never had bad service in a restaurant and have always tipped generously.
spinone lover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
silver_age
Excited about Disney

I’ve stopped worrying about it really. I have a baseline of 15% and will go to 20% if they are spectacular. I’m not there for very long, certainly not long enough to be judging if I can leave them less and having to talk to them and their managers to explain why.

I know customers are paying everyone’s wages in restaurants in the end, but I’m not extending the employer metaphor to the point where I’m doing staff appraisals and setting renumeration based upon them.
silver_age is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

NONE of this is the job of the customer.

If the service is rubbish - why on earth would you tip? Would you pay good money for rubbish anywhere else?

No customer should HAVE to speak to anyone. This is voluntary. No one should be put in that situation.

If they want their tip then they need to do a good job.

And it is all voluntary anyway. Everyone can chose to do what they wish.
I really don't care how the restaurant operates. That is 100% their problem. I appreciate the tipping culture and am happy to abide by this. But I won't pay for rubbish. Anywhere!

Edited at 07:59 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

I see it like this...

If I am happy to pay extortionate prices onsite at WDW ($60 for a steak and , $13 for a beer etc.). If I'm happy to pay for the experience, the ease and the atmosphere, paying a fair tip for good service is all part of the experience.

Service is usually brilliant. And if the service is not great it's so much easier to complain on Disney sites. If we get bad service (it has happened a few times on our travels) I have spoken to a manager and resolved the issue with the minimum of fuss.

We've had meals refunded, cocktails for free and deserts taken off the bill when things haven't gone well. We once had an entire meal for 4 (drinks, mains and deserts) refunded to us by Disney after a disaster of a meal at Y&Y.

We have always tipped the waiting staff at least 15%. If the bill is reduced by the manager or you have been offered (and accepted) drinks or deserts as a good will gesture, you should then tip the waiting staff as though the service was good. If the service was awful (being ignored, wrong food, rude etc.) then tell the manager about it and pay the tip. (the reason for paying this tip in this instance is that it probably gets shared among all the staff to top up wages)

Disney will always look to make good on any problems. You simply need to get over the usual British thing of accepting bad service and talk to someone in management. Failing that, talk to guest services.

Outside of Disney, we tend to give a larger tip. These staff earn less and while the bill is often much lower than Disney restaurants, the service is often just as great. You tend to spend at least a third less on off site eating so upping the tip to 20% seems like the right thing to do.

Even if the entire meal is refunded (as once happened to us in Le Mans where I found a couple of woodlouse wandering around in my Duck Salad) We still tipped the waiter €20 as the service had been great.

If you don't want to pay a tip then grab fast food or cook at your villa.

Edited at 10:48 PM.
Kidd McFluff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List