VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I tend to ‘crop’ and leave it at that as regards editing. I am increasingly playing with the settings on my DSLR... zone focussing etc.

On very rare occasions I try having a play with the editing suite in my MacBook,which by all accounts is quite simple and good.. but usually end up ‘reverting’ to the original.

I have two descent Cameras (EOS77D and Olympus waterproof Tg-4), but feel I am cheating myself by not exploring functions on both camera and MacBook. I guess the problem is that I do not know what I am doing, although there is some improvement with the 77D
Find out how to put your camera in Aperture mode, and have a good play with the aperture settings. I rarely go fully manual, but I do like to change the Aperture to get nice blurry backgrounds.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 21, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
Find out how to put your camera in Aperture mode, and have a good play with the aperture settings. I rarely go fully manual, but I do like to change the Aperture to get nice blurry backgrounds.
I have played with both aperture and shutter priority. The weakness in my fiddling is that I learn some new tricks and then don’t take any photos for months.
I then go to the USA and expect it all to come together!

What I do to capture the moment is generally to clack one off on Auto and then clack off another after considering zonal focus, aperture or shutter priority and possibly also the built in programmes. One of my big snags right now is obviously the object of my attention being too dark due to the very bright light in the rest of the frame.
Hopefully in time I will improve, but the truth is that the camera is so good that it makes very few mistakes. It encourages lazyness.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 21, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I only tend to use Aperture or Shutter modes, and in Photoshop I only tend to level, crop and maybe enhance the colour a bit. Not into making digital art, or people who pass off heavily photoshopped photos as real photos.
Digital art is fine, but people tend to go too far IMHO
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 21, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by grant_w View Post
I only tend to use Aperture or Shutter modes, and in Photoshop I only tend to level, crop and maybe enhance the colour a bit. Not into making digital art, or people who pass off heavily photoshopped photos as real photos.
Digital art is fine, but people tend to go too far IMHO
You and me both.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 21, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Peter H
VIP Dibber

If the pics look dark try bumping up the ISO a bit.
Photos are never an absolutely true image anyway. Unless you want to go all artsy, just use software to sharpen and brighten the image or get rid of any objects you don’t want
Peter H is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 21, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Peter H View Post
If the pics look dark try bumping up the ISO a bit.
Photos are never an absolutely true image anyway. Unless you want to go all artsy, just use software to sharpen and brighten the image or get rid of any objects you don’t want
Let’s not get too deep!

Yesterday was spent practising zonal and spot focus setting.
Today has been spent practising aperture setting by spot, ambient etc

I don’t think changing the iso settings will help as I tend to photograph aircraft , birds and things. My issue is the subject coming out too dark because of the ambient light tricking the ‘average’ of the aperture.. or the auto focus being tricked by the surroundings such as leaves in the case of birds.

What I am hoping to achieve is speed and competence whilst shifting through my options and thus getting my image before the opportunity is missed.
I will be practising setting Focus, aperture and burst at least a couple of times a week as well as exploring all the presets in the months before we finally get back once more to the West Coast. Practice makes perfect!

Edited at 10:04 PM.