Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 4 Apr 21, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Beef Wellington

Has anyone cooked this?
It’s my dh 50th soon and he has massively hinted he would like this for his dinner. He has said many a time it’s his favourite and I’ve never cooked it as I’m just afraid I will ruin it.
I have looked at tons of restaurants up here in and around Glasgow and I can only see 1 that has it on the menu and it isn’t opening till the week after his birthday, so I think I’m going to have to cook it. I would be very tempted to order one ready made, they have it in fortnum and masons to order.

Does anyone have any top tips, or is it basically just follow the instructions?
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 21, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I bought one from the butcher for Xmas and just baked it. I’m no great cook and it was easy enough to cook the prepared one.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 21, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

DH has made it once and did a fair job, I have never attempted it. I think it is something that can easily go wrong.

I ordered a pre made one from Donald Russel for Boxing Day last year, it was delicious but it is very small.

donaldrussell/beef-wellingtons.html
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 21, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I bought one from the butcher for Xmas and just baked it. I’m no great cook and it was easy enough to cook the prepared one.
Thank you,
I’ve just ordered one. I expect I’ll be fine 😊
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 21, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
DH has made it once and did a fair job, I have never attempted it. I think it is something that can easily go wrong.

I ordered a pre made one from Donald Russel for Boxing Day last year, it was delicious but it is very small.

donaldrussell/beef-wellingtons.html
I looked at this one. I’ve went and ordered the fortnum one. It’s our 20 th anniversary as well so willing to splash out.
Old 4 Apr 21, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Ours looked small when I collected it from the butcher but actually there was more than enough to eat.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 21, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
Our local butcher also does them - much easier than making one!

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 21, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I've made this one before, it's a Gordon Ramsay recipe and it worked well bbcgoodfood/recipes/beef-wellington. The only thing I think you need is a good jus or sauce of some kind to go with it.

Or Donald Russell do a ready made one, not sure if it comes frozen donaldrussell/beef-w...ton-d3728.html.

Another online store that I've used a couple of times since lockdown (I bought bread flour from them when I couldn't find it anywhere else) is Greendale, they also sell a beef wellington but out of stock just now (not sure when the birthday is) greendale/product/be...ton-log-fillet

Sorry just seen your post. I had the page open to reply, then went off to do something and started replying!

Edited at 04:31 PM.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 21, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

gordon ramsays beef wellington is good. his masterclass.com tutorial is very good

gordonramsay/gr/reci...ef-wellington/

personally, i found it really easy... but i cooked the beef in a sous vide bath first to take all the guesswork out.

you can do it without a sous vide machine, just get a big pan of water on the hob with a thermometer...

get the beef tenderloin, season heavily, place in sturdy ziploc bag and squeeze the air out by submerging. heat water to 60c. turn heat off, place lid on pot (or cover with a tray or something)

check temp every 15-20 mins or so, if its too low, turn the heat back on again till you hit 55, and repeat.

cook for at least an hour (longer if its a particularly large/thick piece of beef)... up to around 90 mins, making sure the water doesnt really go above 55-60c (130f, medium rare)

measure the internal temperature of the meat, youre looking for 53-55c. once at that temp, remove from the bag, pat dry with paper towels and sear in a pan, 2 mins per side, just to get it browned. this can then be kept in the fridge for a day or two if you dont want to make it immediately.

finally, make the mushroom "pate" 9again, can be done in advance, fry the chopped, seasoned mushrooms for ~15-20 mins. dont worry, you cant really overcook mushrooms, you just want to brown them and remove all the moisture. blitz in a food processor.

get your pastry sheet out, cover the bottom 2/3rds with the mushroom paste (like you do with rice when making sushi)

coat the cooled beef log in mustard (i like a mix of english and wholegrain for texture), then place on top of the pate-coated pastry and roll.

brush with butter, season and bake in the oven for 20-30 mins till pastry is nice and golden.

heres one i did recently in the water bath...

HTH
wanye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List