Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 5 May 21, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post

Vancouver recommendations please :)

Hi all,

After much too-ing and fro-ing I've finally managed to decide my (belated) 40th birthday holiday plans... I actually fit into three boards - this one, the cruise one and the west coast/disneyland one!

The first part of the trip in Sept 22 will be me flying out to Vancouver. I'm so excited! I've always wanted to visit ever since being an X Files nerd as a teenager. I've been to Toronto five times and love it but never made it west.

I will be in Vancouver for three nights pre cruise, and one night post cruise (I'm too nervous to book my flight down to California the same day we get off the ship).

I was wondering if anyone could recommend places to stay (specific hotels or just general areas of the city). I don't want to spend a fortune (the cruise has done that!) but I'm realistic that Vancouver is expensive.

My must dos whilst I am there so far are Grouse Mountain, the suspension bridge and cliff walk (Calipano I think its spelt like), Stanley Park and perhaps Granville Island. I am looking into if they do x files tours (geek). I'm open to other suggestions too.

Food wise I'm going to research closer to the time, I imagine like here there will be covid casualties I will off course make several obligatory visits to Timmys for a double double and timbit!

I think this planning and anticipation will be a massive help to my mental health.

Thanks everyone!
(PS apologies in advance - I will probably be posting the separate elements of my trip on the appropriate board, I promise I am not spamming!)
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

How exciting for you! Planning is good for the soul

We hope to have our rearranged trip on 23 August for Canada/USA road trip. Also 3 nights in Vancouver followed by a night at the end.

We have the Burrard booked for 3 nights and the Auberge for a night at the end. We're getting the train from Seattle back to Vancouver and the Auberge is close to the station for that and getting back to the airport. I know the Burrard isn't close to the cruise port though so experiences cruisers can probably advise you better, if more expensive!

Both hotels are booked on free cancellation way back in September when we had to ditch last year - I know prices have risen a lot since then!

Activities we plan are same as you. Will look into X Files tour as never considered it! So much is filmed there these days. Good luck with planning!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaNuts93
Imagineer

We stayed at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver- central, and easy to get around. We visited Grouse Mountain, Capilano, and hired bikes in Stanley Park. It was three years ago, but you could pick up a bus near the harbour which goes to the first two above. Gas town has lots of restaurants.

SEE OUR VILLA AT:www.ospreyhouseorlando.com. Luxury five bed/four bath villa with extra large (40 ft) pool overlooking conservation area. Also includes games room.

License number: DWE 4514584
FloridaNuts93 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
wdw-wanderer
Apprentice Imagineer

There’s a branch of Tim Horton’s close to the cruise terminal for cheap and delicious eats. You can also book local tours in the square opposite.
wdw-wanderer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
lesley1960
Imagineer

we stayed in a small B&B on the edge of Stanley Park .
The suspension bridge is terrifying lol , I was laughing and crying at the same time . Best Fish and chips ever in Vancouver , however rest of food we had was beige and bleurgh
lesley1960 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 21, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by wdw-wanderer View Post
There’s a branch of Tim Horton’s close to the cruise terminal for cheap and delicious eats. You can also book local tours in the square opposite.
We sat at Canada Place with a frozen lemonade from Tim's waiting for our scenic floatplane flight. Perfect.
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 21, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

We were warned by our Hotel concierge that the Downtown Eastside area (i.e. East of Gas Town) is not a place for tourists to venture. In fact a pick pocket tried to distract DH at Waterfront Station. So do stay alert.

Otherwise we enjoyed Stanley Park, Grouse Mountain, Canada Place (including the Fly Over Canada, soarin' type ride) and a mooch around Granville Island Market.

(Didn't enjoy Tim Horton's coffee though!)
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 21, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerMom
Apprentice Imagineer

DD and I went to Vancouver 2 years ago and have been trying to go back since. Fingers crossed for 22. We loved Granville Island, Stanley Park and Gastown. We stayed at the Hyatt Regency on Burrard which was central to everything and right next to a train station. There is an area of the city between China Town and Gastown which is best avoided by tourists. You will love it. Make sure to try Purdys chocolate.
TigerMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 21, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
jonathan
VIP Dibber

Sounds great :-)

Vancouver is so wonderful we loved every moment before we went on our cruise. Most memorable day was hiring bikes and cycling round Stanley Park, it was August the temperature was great and me my wife and 3 daughters all enjoyed it together (can be hard pleasing 3 girls! ).

We stayed at the Pan Pacific at Canada Place which is above the cruise terminal. Amazing hotel and so convenient getting on the cruise just going down in the lift. Great views over the water watching all the sea planes come in.

We booked a dinner buffet at the Pan Pacific for one evening before we arrived and when we checked in they let me know that it was an Opera themed buffet which was fine but we did not know what to expect. It turned out two amazing singers sang through dinner, it was very popular as it was packed and had an really great atmosphere. This may be a COVID casualty though!

We would go back in a heart beat, enjoy planning.

Jonathan

---
44 trips from 2000 onwards.
jonathan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 21, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post

Thank you everyone, some great recommendations and ideas there.
I might only be doing the Vancouver /cruise partnof the trip now, work had said yes I could have three weeks annual leave at once have since gone "umm actually that might be problematic", I have to put a proposal together of how my work will be completed or covered before they will agree my leave Just another incident that gets me closer to applying for a new job. It would still be an amazing trip though I guess, even without California after.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List