Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 May 21, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ScoopsAhoy View Post
The flavourizer bars are literally just thick grills. It’s just a snazzy name .
Our Weber was blinking expensive but doesn’t make it taste anymore like traditional bbq
I would blame the chef - seriously

Our gas bbq produces awesome results.

Often people who go on about this gas vs charcoal thing are tending to be over cooking on the charcoal and confusing the taste of burnt sausage with the taste of something else lol

Edited at 08:53 AM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 21, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ScoopsAhoy View Post
The flavourizer bars are literally just thick grills. It’s just a snazzy name .
Our Weber was blinking expensive but doesn’t make it taste anymore like traditional bbq
They are not - they go over the grills (well mine do) and ensure the juices smoke up to the cooking food. I love the taste so much more but each to their own
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 21, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Cool

Gas barbecues are not actually barbecues (despite us in UK referring to nearly everything that cooks outside as a barbecue) - they are technically grills. Sorry to be a nerd. Australia isn’t the home of BBQ- USA is, it was actually a traditional African form of cooking used by the slaves who dug pits to cook low and slow to make cheap cuts of meat edible. Australians tend to grill things although of course low and slow barbecue is popular there as well like it is here.

Whilst they have their place, I personally wouldn’t buy a gas barbecue because I do low and slow cooking (have had them) and prefer a Kamado. A Kamado is the most versatile barbecue as it does low and slow (proper barbecue), can grill and sear and do pizzas. I’m just waiting for my new one to arrive today.

So on Sunday I did a couple of chickens at 300f and then opened the vents and got the barbecue up to 700f for some searing.

You can’t begin to do low and slow cooking - ribs, pork shoulders, beef ribs, brisket etc, on a gas grill. That’s not what gas grills are designed for. You need to cook this stuff long, in smoke, at around 220 f to break down the connective tissues. I cook some things for 8 hours plus.

Now what I do is less popular here than grilling obviously , but growing very rapidly in popularity and soon we will be like the Americans. If you just want to grill food, a gas grill may be fine although personally I’d just buy a Weber kettle for that as at least you do have some low and slow and indirect cooking capability with that if you wish to progress.

If you did get a gas barbecue the one Megaflyer suggests is probably about the best as the bars effectively burn fat drippings and create some smoke albeit it’s not charcoal smoke.

This is the type of stuff I do:

Edited at 09:33 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 21, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

The Kamado do look fantastic
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 21, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Personally I don’t associate gas as an authentic BBQ. It maybe quicker then charcoal but cooking over coals is what’s bbq-ing is all about for me. There are endless possibilities of what you can cook with charcoal and the food 100 percent tastes better in my opinion. A must is a charcoal chimney starter which takes all the stress over lighting a bbq and will get you ready to cook in circa 20 mins; You just cannot beat that smell and taste of charcoal.
MarkUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 21, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
The Kamado do look fantastic
Yes sorry I know I’m a boring pedantic geek when it comes to this.

I’m just waiting for my Summit Kamado to arrive now after a 5 month wait and I’m like a child on Christmas Day. I’ll be putting my old one up for sale then.

If you want to do just low and slow a Weber Smokey Mountain is a good choice (I had one for 5 years) but for what they cost, you are probably better off spending a bit more on a Kamado for versatility. Also I cook all year round and the Smokey Mountain had difficulties holding temps in winter due to lack of insulation.

Edit, she’s here, I’m off to build her up.

This was my Turkey at Christmas

Edited at 10:29 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 21, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Yes sorry I know I’m a boring pedantic geek when it comes to this.

I’m just waiting for my Summit Kamado to arrive now after a 5 month wait and I’m like a child on Christmas Day. I’ll be putting my old one up for sale then.

If you want to do just low and slow a Weber Smokey Mountain is a good choice (I had one for 5 years) but for what they cost, you are probably better off spending a bit more on a Kamado for versatility. Also I cook all year round and the Smokey Mountain had difficulties holding temps in winter due to lack of insulation.

Edit, she’s here, I’m off to build her up.

This was my Turkey at Christmas

I love someone going full geek about something they clearly love.

Looks great. Enjoy
Old 22 May 21, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

We were planning on just doing a few burgers on ours 😂😂😂
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 21, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

I really like the idea of being able to do pizzas etc as well.

We are going to be building an outside kitchen soon and this really does add food for thought.
Old 22 May 21, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
We were planning on just doing a few burgers on ours 😂😂😂
Nothing wrong with that 😀