Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Jun 21, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Leia77 View Post
There seem to be a lot of bbq experts on this thread, so I hope you don’t mind me sneaking this in! My stuff ends up inedible - almost like it’s covered in soot 🙈. Any ideas what I’m doing wrong? Many thanks 😊
You are probably cooking over too high a heat (fat dripping onto coals then causing flareups makes it worse). Try putting the coals to one side and cooking on the side with no/little coals and close the lid on the bbq. You don't need to BBQ over open flame, you lose radiant heat and end up just burning the outside before the insides are sufficiently cooked.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 21, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
You are probably cooking over too high a heat (fat dripping onto coals then causing flareups makes it worse). Try putting the coals to one side and cooking on the side with no/little coals and close the lid on the bbq. You don't need to BBQ over open flame, you lose radiant heat and end up just burning the outside before the insides are sufficiently cooked.
Ah, ok, thank you very much! Will try that next time. Thanks again 😊
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 21, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Smash burgers tonight. Just like 5 Guys do them.

Originally Posted by Brennanhough View Post
Out of interest mate, how do you do yours? I do mine on a cast iron plate, just beef brushed with mustard, flattened with a plasterers trowel. But I can never seem to get the Five Guys taste. Also what mince do you use!
i dont do "smash burgers" but i do make nice thin patties that cook quickly and arent like a hockey puck in between two bits of bread... here's one from the weekend, i've almost perfected it!

the bread is a square ciabatta style cheese cob from the bakery bit at our local tesco. normally i like toasted oven bottom muffins, but this is my new favourite! one of the main problems with most burgers ive found is the bread isnt strong enough to hold up to the weight/size of the burger

burger is 90% beef mince usually, but in this case as i was in a rush... costco do a huge 12 pack of thick angus beefburgers, i took them, and put them all in a big glass bowl, added some cajun seasoning and a bunch of finely chopped spring onions and mashed it all together. i then took a smallish ball of it, and dropped it in my burger press

amazon/dp/B08DDFT8...f_=as_li_ss_tl
(one of these style, ive had mine since forever!)

squish out into a ~1cm thick patty and place in a pile using some sort of separator sheet between each layer. i bought some actual burger circles, but greaseproof paper cut to squares are fine too and then fridge/freezer to firm up for a bit before cooking.

drop them on the grill and cook for a few minutes per side depending on how hot the grill is. i usually do two flips per side, and on the third (of four) flips, i place cheese on top and close the bbq lid to finish and melt the cheese. if you dont have a lid, a metal bowl or something will also work

assembly was:

american mustard on both the top and bottom of the cob,
then some pickle relish/finely diced onion
a slice of xl pepperoni on each side
then two burgers in between that
finally a slice or two of crispy streaky bacon in between the burgers

i plan on selling these at some point, they are that good!

Edited at 05:03 PM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 21, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

We had a big built in charcoal barbecue, similar to the ones popular in France. It cooked well, it had a large chimney. DH really didn’t want a gas barbecue, he was adamant he’d never have one, well of course I persuaded him and now we don’t have a charcoal barbecue at all. We also have a lot more barbecues! I have never noticed any difference in the taste of the food cooked either. I think if you just want your food cooked quite quickly, outside, you can’t beat gas. We barbecue at least once a week during spring & summer and autumn and sometimes on dry sunny winter days, it’s just so easy.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 21, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Brennanhough
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
i dont do "smash burgers" but i do make nice thin patties that cook quickly and arent like a hockey puck in between two bits of bread... here's one from the weekend, i've almost perfected it!

the bread is a square ciabatta style cheese cob from the bakery bit at our local tesco. normally i like toasted oven bottom muffins, but this is my new favourite! one of the main problems with most burgers ive found is the bread isnt strong enough to hold up to the weight/size of the burger

burger is 90% beef mince usually, but in this case as i was in a rush... costco do a huge 12 pack of thick angus beefburgers, i took them, and put them all in a big glass bowl, added some cajun seasoning and a bunch of finely chopped spring onions and mashed it all together. i then took a smallish ball of it, and dropped it in my burger press

squish out into a ~1cm thick patty and place in a pile using some sort of separator sheet between each layer. i bought some actual burger circles, but greaseproof paper cut to squares are fine too and then fridge/freezer to firm up for a bit before cooking.

drop them on the grill and cook for a few minutes per side depending on how hot the grill is. i usually do two flips per side, and on the third (of four) flips, i place cheese on top and close the bbq lid to finish and melt the cheese. if you dont have a lid, a metal bowl or something will also work

assembly was:

Perfect, cheers I’ll give it a go.

Friend of mine has given me the 5 guys recipe for there patty’s and I plan on making that at some point.

I’ve always used the back of my Weber Spatula but have a burger press so might give that a try.

Chicken Gyros and Flatbread (Bread done on BBQ)is my speciality- I’m in South Yorkshire so if you fancy a Business buddy let me know 😂
Brennanhough is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 21, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Simple chicken salad tonight, cooked over half a dozen peices of lumpwood and sweet chestnut wood. Chicken covered in a Chilli and honey rub 👍 was amazing

Old 9 Jun 21, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

DH has recently got a Konro bbq which uses binchotan coals. Wow so much less smoke from the coals, so much nicer for neighbours too. Plus stays hot for so much longer.
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 21, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

so after 13 years of faithful service, my old camping bbq died on me.

it was my fault, i drunkenly stumbled into it and bent it, but it was on its last legs. i've tried to find a similar one that is as well built, but the market seems to have been flooded with cheap flimsy knockoffs from china, most of which are half the size of my old one (not in a good way)

RIP £25 IWOOT briefcase bbq, youve been a reliable companion that has accompanied me to at least 3-4 long weekends camping and cooking for the group every year since 2008

i've gone and ordered this...

amazon/dp/B0932T29...f_=as_li_ss_tl

it arrives tomorrow. assuming its of reasonable build quality, i wont be sending it straight back, and will give it a proper test next weekend!
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 21, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wanye View Post

assembly was:

Look good!

Do try smash burgers though as well. The Maillard reaction makes an amazing taste. You need plastic cheese as well for the proper effect. Lidl sell it.

I’m doing smashers again at the weekend, will take some photos of the very easy process. All you need is 20% beef mince in balls, salt and pepper, a smasher, and preferably an iron skillet to smash onto. I get my skillet to 600+ degrees in the Kamado. I need heat proof gloves on as you can’t even put your arm above it. Burgers take 1 min ish each.

Edited at 01:35 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 21, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Brennanhough View Post
Perfect, cheers I’ll give it a go.

Friend of mine has given me the 5 guys recipe for there patty’s and I plan on making that at some point.

I’ve always used the back of my Weber Spatula but have a burger press so might give that a try.

Chicken Gyros and Flatbread (Bread done on BBQ)is my speciality- I’m in South Yorkshire so if you fancy a Business buddy let me know 😂
Just use 20% fat mince, it’s great. 5 Guys use a bit of a mix, but not really required. You don’t need a burger press, you need a smasher. You can use a heavy spatula but not ideal, Angus and Oink do a great heavy duty one.