Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Jun 21, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I have a “stupid” BBQ question for you all - a kind of dilemma

I have a Webber grill and like I have done for all my old BBQ - charcoal then gas with lava then green egg now this I remove the grills (or plate) brush with a BBQ brush then put in dishwasher on an intensive wash. Now many tell me I shouldn’t do this or have no need to do this - joust brush off the burnt bits and next time it is used the heat sterilised it and the rest just adds to the flavour. I am not convinced . What do you do ?
I think your Weber gas will have enamel coated iron grates? If so, you are fine to do this. I have a Weber enamel coated cast iron pan so even though Weber say hand wash I have put it in the dishwasher.
No real need every time with grates though. Best method is a decent grill brush, when you finish cooking put all the burners on with the lid down and let it get as hot as possible, then give it a good brush. I used a Weber gas grill last week (we went to the Lake District and rented a lodge that had one) and that’s what I did.
I never wash my grills, every few cooks I open up the vents and get it to very high temps (or do pizzas) and the Kamados get so hot they turn all grease to dust like a self cleaning oven and then just a brush off. You could have done that with your green egg. The gas grills won’t get as hot so a bit more brushing action required. If it is enamel coated, a stiff bristle brush and bucket of water would probably be quite good to dip the brush in.
The Weber gas grills are very good, never cooked on one before but was pleased with the quality compared to other gas grills I’ve cooked on before.

Edited at 11:53 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 21, 07:25 AM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I have a Weber stainless gas grill, as above have never put in the dishwasher and also heat to the max and then brush.

2 things that I do is I don’t ever clean the grates until I’m ready to cook, after the bbq I leave all the grease and leftovers and just put the cover on, sounds disgusting but the oils left on the grates keeps them better.

Also make sure you get a very good wire brush, I change my every year as I know some one who got a nasty injury from swallowing a bit of wire from a brush so as soon as it looks rough change it!
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 21, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I think your Weber gas will have enamel coated iron grates? If so, you are fine to do this. I have a Weber enamel coated cast iron pan so even though Weber say hand wash I have put it in the dishwasher.
No real need every time with grates though. Best method is a decent grill brush, when you finish cooking put all the burners on with the lid down and let it get as hot as possible, then give it a good brush. I used a Weber gas grill last week (we went to the Lake District and rented a lodge that had one) and that’s what I did.
I never wash my grills, every few cooks I open up the vents and get it to very high temps (or do pizzas) and the Kamados get so hot they turn all grease to dust like a self cleaning oven and then just a brush off. You could have done that with your green egg. The gas grills won’t get as hot so a bit more brushing action required. If it is enamel coated, a stiff bristle brush and bucket of water would probably be quite good to dip the brush in.
The Weber gas grills are very good, never cooked on one before but was pleased with the quality compared to other gas grills I’ve cooked on before.

Thank you . It does have cast iron ones but I also brought stainless steel ones (narrower ) and I have been using them. Weber supplied some spray on stuff and a brush but I have done that and popped the into the dishwasher. I will try your suggestion nest time (ie tonight) thanks . I have been using it most nights recently and love it (for one)

Glad your thought Weber gas were every good - I value your expert opinion 👍
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 21, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i got the kona bristle free brush a couple of weeks ago. only used it once so far, but seems pretty good!

amazon/gp/product/...f_=as_li_ss_tl

I treated myself to a new bbq tool set last week... i thought about getting one of the big sets in a nice metal flightcase thing, but the actual tools seemed to get poor reviews (flimsy/falls apart/etc) so instead i went to my default kitchen tool choice to see what they have. and these OXO GOOD GRIPS tongs and spatula don't disappoint!

amazon/gp/product/...f_=as_li_ss_tl

i just need to find a nice cheap flightcase/storage bag for them and a few other bits, so i can just chuck my stuff in the camping box when needed!

also, heres a lesson on grilling and smoking basics...

(cleaning is 6 minutes in)

mmmmmmmm. morgan bolling

Edited at 12:11 PM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 21, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Thank you . It does have cast iron ones but I also brought stainless steel ones (narrower ) and I have been using them. Weber supplied some spray on stuff and a brush but I have done that and popped the into the dishwasher. I will try your suggestion nest time (ie tonight) thanks . I have been using it most nights recently and love it (for one)

Glad your thought Weber gas were every good - I value your expert opinion 👍
Which do you have MF- a Genesis or a Summit? Very nice cookers, both of them. I’m not a gas man myself but some people can’t have charcoal in their areas and also they certainly have their place.
Old 17 Jun 21, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Which do you have MF- a Genesis or a Summit? Very nice cookers, both of them. I’m not a gas man myself but some people can’t have charcoal in their areas and also they certainly have their place.
Genesis and love it (we aren’t allowed charcoal where I live)

Edited at 01:11 PM.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 21, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Genesis and love it (we aren’t allowed charcoal where I live)

That’s a nice one. I was speaking to someone senior in Weber Europe the other week and he said they are really pushing the new connected ones now.
Old 17 Jun 21, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

That’s a nice one. I was speaking to someone senior in Weber Europe the other week and he said they are really pushing the new connected ones now.
Thanks

You cant see it on those photos but there is a smart connect on the hand bar that I can use via my iPhone (if that’s what you mean - it’s twisted round above - its raining today so its covered up else i would take another pic)

Edited at 02:09 PM.
Old 17 Jun 21, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I prefer charcoal for the taste but gas is much quicker, we take a while to get the fire to die down just to put meat on. We only light out about 5 times a year so that’s ok for us.
Old 17 Jun 21, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
I prefer charcoal for the taste but gas is much quicker, we take a while to get the fire to die down just to put meat on. We only light out about 5 times a year so that’s ok for us.
I have used mine every day for the last week - I wont tonight as my sister is coming to stay and we are out for supper but the plan (if it is dry) is to use it tomorrow . I use it more than my stove top