Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 4 Jun 21, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
WiltshireBen
Gone all Goofy

Is Stormalong Bay Worth It?

So having finally agreed that we ARE going back to Orlando next year , we're now deciding which Disney hotel to choose.
Really we're looking at either CBR or BC, but the difference in price is over £3k for a two week stay, and my question is 'Is Stormalong Bay worth the difference'.

Otherwise I think the two are fairly evenly matched, both have great access to HS and Epcot, both are themed really well, restaurants look good and both have recently been refurbished.

We love a water park, and having our 'own' onsite is a big draw, but it's pretty much doubling our hotel bill so need to know it's worth it!
WiltshireBen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 21, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
We love Beach Club and keep returning there.

I wouldn't rate them equally on access. Being able to and from walk to two parks is a great benefit for us. We could leave our room and be in France with a boozy slushy in our hands in about 6-7 minutes. Also, if the weather turns bad, the Skyliner will close and you may have a very big wait for a bus. On our last visit an incredible storm rolled in one evening and we were able to make a dash from the Studios back to the hotel.

Stormalong Bay is good, but probably not £3k worth of good. For us, Beach Club is more a sum of the parts than one particular feature.

£3k is a reasonable chunk of cash though - only you can determine whether that is worth it for you.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 21, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We love the Y&BC and the Crescent Lake area in general and like Bozza, we just keep going back - but this year, with no included DDP to offset the cost, we've booked a lake view room at the Dolphin for much less than half of the BC cost and we're in the same location with the same access to the 2 parks, the Boardwalk and Y&BC if we choose to visit.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 21, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
I wouldn't rate them equally on access. Being able to and from walk to two parks is a great benefit for us. We could leave our room and be in France with a boozy slushy in our hands in about 6-7 minutes.

Stormalong Bay is good, but probably not £3k worth of good. For us, Beach Club is more a sum of the parts than one particular feature.

£3k is a reasonable chunk of cash though - only you can determine whether that is worth it for you.
I agree, for me it's not the pool it's the whole location. Two parks for daytime and loads of restaurants for dinner all walkable.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 21, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Not for the pool, but BC is walkable, so easy to come and go to both DHS and Ep. Is that worth 3k for you?
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 21, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
POR34
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

I agree, location of BC is everything. I've stayed in both and wouldn't return to CBR, difficult transport and it just hasn't got the vibe of the Boardwalk. We only used Stormalong Bat once so I'd say the cost doesn't justify staying there for the pool only.

A good alternative is the Swan - great hotel! I didn't care for the Dolphin, it's a convention hotel and was too big for my liking.
POR34 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 21, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
For us it is worth it... not just for Stormalong Bay but as people have mentioned the location and also the size of the resort.

You are within walking distance from many great eateries and drink locations. A night on the boardwalk is fantastic (of course depends if adult only or with kids )

The only disappointing bit is the lack of a food court with a grab and go only... so I guess CBR wins on that front, but you are close enough to Boardwalk and QS in Epcot too.
Old 4 Jun 21, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
The only caveat I'd belatedly add to my post above is the Park Reservation system could potentially impact our enjoyment of the Beach Club location and being able to spontaneously pop to a park on a whim, even if it's just to pick up a favourite drink or food item.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 21, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

For me, it's not worth 3k. With the very limited extra amount included in the dining offer for deluxes over moderates, I'd rather put that money towards food and go visit the waterparks.

I'd agree with the others that the main draw of the Boardwalk area hotels is the ability to walk to two parks. Particularly Epcot for the dining/drinking options. But as Bozza pointed out, being so close to Epcot but not being able to just nip in because of the reservation system is likely to take a big part of that appeal away.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 21, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
DonkeyCentreArf
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
The only caveat I'd belatedly add to my post above is the Park Reservation system could potentially impact our enjoyment of the Beach Club location and being able to spontaneously pop to a park on a whim, even if it's just to pick up a favourite drink or food item.
That's a great point. One of the reasons we have chosen the Swan is that it gives us options to stroll into EPCOT for a wider choice of food around World Showcase as well as the Boardwalk.
1990 - Quality Inn International - iDrive / 1996 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 1997 - Dixie Landings / 1999 - All Star Sports / 2002 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 2003 - DLP / 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 2008 - Doubletree Universal / 2009 - Saratoga Springs / 2011 - Bonnet Creek Resort & Vero Beach / 2014 - Bonnet Creek Resort / Oct 2021 - Rescheduled / Feb 2022 - Rescheduled / Oct 2022 HRH & OKW
DonkeyCentreArf is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List