Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Jun 21, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
m84ourlife
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by PABBY View Post
Our friends' house is a semi-detached and UU are upgrading their neighbour's supply at the same time.

That's a helluva lot of expensive work to be done when everyone has to eventually ditch their fossil-fueled cars!
If you have a shared or looped supply both properties will need to be worked on the loop has to removed from the load property and the looped house given its own mains supply , the load supply can have the loop removed from the mains cutout or mains fuse and should involve only digging up on the new supply house
m84ourlife is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Darwen Bird
Imagineer

I'm very interested too but need to know two things:
1) does the money saved on not buying petrol/diesel add up enough to cover the additional purchasing cost?
2) do the cars lose charge overnight? It might seem a daft question! I reckon I may only have to charge up once a week but everyone I've spoken to about electric cars thought the same but they're topping-up several times during the week. They reckon they get decent distances if driven in one go but not if it's split over several days.
Days Inn Days Lodge, June 89 & 92. Travelodge Maingate East, July 03. West Stonebridge Villa, June 08. Orange Tree Villa, July 10. Buena Vista Palace, Sept 11. Hilton Bonnet Creek, Sept 13. Port Orleans FQ, Nov 14. Buena Vista Palace, Sept 16. Port Orleans FQ, Nov 17. Hotel New York Disneyland Paris, Sept 18. Holiday Inn Disneyland Paris, Sept 23. Margaritaville Resort, Nov 24.
Mr Darwen Bird is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
we looked into one for my wife but starting at @27k its just not viable

need a few years for EV to come onto the second hand market before there is a massive uptake imo
Kind of where we are. Just bought a nearly new suv (petrol) with a view to upgrading to hybrid/electric when the second hand is more buoyant.
We don’t have any work related benefits as many on here do (both retired from public service jobs) so will have to be cash buyers.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Posiesmum View Post
Kind of where we are. Just bought a nearly new suv (petrol) with a view to upgrading to hybrid/electric when the second hand is more buoyant.
We don’t have any work related benefits as many on here do (both retired from public service jobs) so will have to be cash buyers.
my mrs puts in about 50 quid a month fuel , only works 3 days a week & currently only one day in the office. rest is to the gym, shops, see her pals etc

so at @£600 year thats a lot of years to see any return on the massive initial investment in an EV
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
DrMagical
Excited about Disney

A common notion with electric cars are they are too expensive. The Mini electric is the same price as the petrol equivalent (taking in to account the cost options it has fitted) plus you'll save on zero car tax, very little maintenance and hardly any fuel bills!
DrMagical is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DrMagical View Post
A common notion with electric cars are they are too expensive. The Mini electric is the same price as the petrol equivalent (taking in to account the cost options it has fitted) plus you'll save on zero car tax, very little maintenance and hardly any fuel bills!
a mini dosnt cost 27k you can get a cooper for about 17k

Edited at 05:39 PM.
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
No the car doesn’t drop miles overnight, if I only do gym/supermarket local trips a charge will last me 6 weeks and it will be exactly the same on the morning as even a week before. Doesn’t drop at all.
Go 80 on the motorway, or turn your heaters on though and watch the miles fall away
Old 14 Jun 21, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Darwen Bird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
No the car doesn’t drop miles overnight, if I only do gym/supermarket local trips a charge will last me 6 weeks and it will be exactly the same on the morning as even a week before. Doesn’t drop at all.
Go 80 on the motorway, or turn your heaters on though and watch the miles fall away
Brilliant, thanks Mitch.
Days Inn Days Lodge, June 89 & 92. Travelodge Maingate East, July 03. West Stonebridge Villa, June 08. Orange Tree Villa, July 10. Buena Vista Palace, Sept 11. Hilton Bonnet Creek, Sept 13. Port Orleans FQ, Nov 14. Buena Vista Palace, Sept 16. Port Orleans FQ, Nov 17. Hotel New York Disneyland Paris, Sept 18. Holiday Inn Disneyland Paris, Sept 23. Margaritaville Resort, Nov 24.
Mr Darwen Bird is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
grommitt
Excited about Disney

Good to see quite a few people with a variety of Ev's
i did a lot of research and also managed to get a Kona and e Niro on a 4 day test drive. Tesla did not want to know and i was only allowed 3 1 hour test drives (2 of the demonstrators had problems when i went to pick them up and that pretty much made my mind up that Tesla was not for me)
in end i received my E niro +4 in early april and have since had a Zappi fitted which at the time was the only charger that would manage solar charging.
grommitt is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 21, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

Is there such a thing as an electric or hybrid 4x4. Does anyone have one. We live in remote area in Scotland and need a 4x4 for winter ! Currently have a Volvo XC70 which has now done 110,000 miles !
dizzymcfarlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List