Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Jun 21, 05:52 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Any physios / message therapists here?

I have appalling flexibility in my back.

Physios have told me my tendons / hamstrings are sooooooo tight.

Am luck that I am pain free, but I have played tennis since i was about 6 (am 55 now) but due to lack of movement in my back / pandemic - I have not played tennis in like 18 months.

Am a good standard, but always said I would stop playing if I could not keep a reasonable standard, I did not want to slowly get worse and worse and then be "that" old guy people avoid playing with.

Stood up, I can bend sort of OK to right.

To the left the bottom half of my back does not flex to the left - it makes it really hard to get into passenger seats of cars

Bending backwards - partially nothing, it does not flex and any movement that was is more my pelvis being pushed forward, rather than my back bending. I cannot empty a can of a soft drink stood up, I need to sit down or raise a leg a bit - that flex of my knee loosens things and also means can flex backwards quite well.

So that sets the scene.

The questions is this - can physio give me any flex back, and meaningful amount flex so can play tennis again, or do I have to accept your 55 and this is old age mister.

I have been having physio once a week for about 3 months and it loosens things up a bit on that session, but that is it.

Are their things I can do to loosen / stretch all these things up a bit - or is that it and should save my money and be thankful am pain free?

Edited at 05:58 AM.
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 07:14 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Where abouts do you live Antony? I can recommend a fantastic guy that works with tennis players.
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 07:20 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Hi - near Glasgow.

I have a great physio and he has helped me with injuries over they ears, am just more wondering if anything can really be done now...
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
CG1
Excited about Disney

I had a similar issue in that I couldn't bend backwards. My physio performed a maneuver that was a bit like a rugby tackle. She 'tackled' me from the side, supported the area of my spine where there was a problem and had me bend back from there. She compared the problem and solution to reminding my back how to bend. I'd improved phenomenally in just one session and I then stayed with her for a few months doing rehab to support a couple of prolapse disc's. This was after almost a year at a different physio who used massage etc but didn't really put a dent in my pain or change my ability to move. Perhaps you just need the right physio. My new one was recommended by a sports medicine doctor I went to see about my back. Can you try someone else? Perhaps get a recommendation from someone who knows what they're talking about. Your GP might be able to help.

Good luck with it all.
CG1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
Hi - near Glasgow.

I have a great physio and he has helped me with injuries over they ears, am just more wondering if anything can really be done now...
The guy I know is in Liverpool so probably a bit far for you. He is amazing though. I can still send his details over if you are interested though.

Edited at 07:44 AM.
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

What about a chiropractor?
Old 14 Jun 21, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Bearing in mind I know nothing what comes to my mind is trying yoga or Pilates to help strengthen and stretch your inner muscles and improve flexibility. I am aware I could be talking rubbish.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
What about a chiropractor?
Tried them in past and do bring some temp relief...
Old 14 Jun 21, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
Bearing in mind I know nothing what comes to my mind is trying yoga or Pilates to help strengthen and stretch your inner muscles and improve flexibility. I am aware I could be talking rubbish.
This is a great idea but I tried it and a bit of ... vanity stops me trying again <blush>

I found a Beginners Beginners Yoga class but am sooooooooo inflexible that I was really embarrassed that I could not even do the basic positions they were after and was far and away the worst person in the group.

"Antony - bend a little bit more... " - if I ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ could I would... <blush>

I kept going for 4 weeks and then they cancelled a slightly different class for people who were a bit more advanced, and they came to ours and well, that made it worse. When my 5 sessions were up I stopped going...

I sometime wonder if trying one on one in the house say (when allowed) might be an idea...
Old 14 Jun 21, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

What am looking to try find here, if there is a professional who can read my BRIEF story and say "There is hope of some flex coming back" or not.