Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Jun 21, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Or is there was a thing like "extreme" stretching that might help... ?
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Just sent you a message Antony.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
This is a great idea but I tried it and a bit of ... vanity stops me trying again <blush>

I found a Beginners Beginners Yoga class but am sooooooooo inflexible that I was really embarrassed that I could not even do the basic positions they were after and was far and away the worst person in the group.

"Antony - bend a little bit more... " - if I ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ could I would... <blush>

I kept going for 4 weeks and then they cancelled a slightly different class for people who were a bit more advanced, and they came to ours and well, that made it worse. When my 5 sessions were up I stopped going...

I sometime wonder if trying one on one in the house say (when allowed) might be an idea...
I do think it’s worth exploring. The reason I suggested it was last year I started basic yoga stretching exercises as I was stiff as a board. I just copied a YouTube beginners lessons on my own at home and could really feel the difference. My husband started them also and said it made a huge difference to him playing golf.

I had a hip problem a couple of years ago and it was the pjysio who suggested that yoga or Pilates would help. Maybe worth you talking to the physio about as you wouldn’t want to damage your back further.

Edited at 12:13 PM.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Please ask your physio for stretching exercises. These will need to be done daily. You should see an improvement in a week.

My DD is doing two currently to stretch her glutes and hamstrings. One is only a lunge so really easy. If one side is worse than the other then the physio may give you strength exercises too.

Physio treatment is so much more than hands in treatment, it's about changing or doing things away from the appointment.

Good luck and you'll soon be back playing tennis.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
Please ask your physio for stretching exercises. These will need to be done daily. You should see an improvement in a week.

My DD is doing two currently to stretch her glutes and hamstrings. One is only a lunge so really easy. If one side is worse than the other then the physio may give you strength exercises too.

Physio treatment is so much more than hands in treatment, it's about changing or doing things away from the appointment.

Good luck and you'll soon be back playing tennis.
This is true as my physio gave me lots of “homework” to do between visits. These were basic yoga stretching exercises I discovered. It worked and my hip bursitis has not returned.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
PABBY
Excited about Disney

Antony - I'm the same age as you and, other than the tennis bit, you could have been describing my current state of (lack of) physical prowess. Lockdown, working from home and inactivity has seen a frightening degradation to my body's flexibility.

I can walk for miles and I still play football weekly with friends, but getting in and out of a car is akin to me trying to perform like an Olympic gymnast!

I considered yoga and was quite enthusiastic about starting it. That enthusiasm soon disappeared when I tried it at home and couldn't perform any of the moves in the beginner's video. I tried a different video a couple of days later with the same result, so I gave up, crestfallen.

I look forward to someone coming up with a miracle cure for us...
PABBY is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Antony, have you been checked out to see if you may have arthritis in any of your joints? I’m almost totally lacking in flexibility, I struggle to put shoes and socks on! I follow a charity called Versus Arthritis, they are on Facebook and they have a very basic and gentle set of excerise videos called Get moving with Leon, I’ve found them very good and easy to follow, I tried Yoga but it wasn’t for me I’m afraid, good luck x
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 21, 07:09 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by PABBY View Post
Antony - I'm the same age as you and, other than the tennis bit, you could have been describing my current state of (lack of) physical prowess. Lockdown, working from home and inactivity has seen a frightening degradation to my body's flexibility.

I can walk for miles and I still play football weekly with friends, but getting in and out of a car is akin to me trying to perform like an Olympic gymnast!

I considered yoga and was quite enthusiastic about starting it. That enthusiasm soon disappeared when I tried it at home and couldn't perform any of the moves in the beginner's video. I tried a different video a couple of days later with the same result, so I gave up, crestfallen.

I look forward to someone coming up with a miracle cure for us...
No pressure on me then!
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 21, 07:10 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Loulou127 View Post
Antony, have you been checked out to see if you may have arthritis in any of your joints? I’m almost totally lacking in flexibility, I struggle to put shoes and socks on! I follow a charity called Versus Arthritis, they are on Facebook and they have a very basic and gentle set of excerise videos called Get moving with Leon, I’ve found them very good and easy to follow, I tried Yoga but it wasn’t for me I’m afraid, good luck x
The physio is excellent and has said THESE problems I am talking about are all soft tissue ones. Am sure I do have it though in my feet and toes, one thing they do not tell you as a kid is when you run around for years on a hard surface like most tennis courts, it will cause all this in your old age...
Old 15 Jun 21, 07:11 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Thanks to all the others that replied with advise etc.