Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Beyond the Parks
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.
Florida Escapes
Unread 16 Dec 19, 01:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Notname
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Where to stay for a week on Gulf Coast

Hi weve booked flights to/from Tampa for Oct 17-31 2020 and are planning to do a week on the gulf coast in a Villa, then 2-3 days at Universal and 3-4 days on the Atlantic Coast (my husband wants to see Daytona).

Weve been to Florida twice before, the first time 15 hrs ago doing Orlando/Miami/Keys and last time in 2018 with the kids doing just Disney/Orlando. We dont plan to do Disney this time and I fancy seeing the Gulf Coast so am hoping to get recommendations for somewhere to stay that would be a good base for visiting various towns and sights in that area.

Therell be four of us, kids are aged 8 and 12. Hoping for somewhere near the beach pref not a city as Id rather to stay in a smaller resort but with some restaurants and shops nearby. Well be happy to drive for days out, so I guess we need to be somewhere thats not too far out on a limb, ie easy to get to other places. And within a couple of Tampa airport, pref less. Ive done some research but if anyone can recommend somewhere, either a town/area or specific accommodation, Id be grateful.

Budget isnt that high Im afraid - hoping to rent somewhere with a pool for under 1k for the week if poss. We easily managed that in Orlando but I see prices are (understandably) higher in this area. Condos are obv cheaper but Id prefer a house with a private pool (I guess this may be out of our price range tho).

Ill also be looking for ideas for where to stay in the Daytona area, but might tackle that once Ive sorted this one!

Many thanks
Notname is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 19, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Ninnybobs
Very Serious Dibber

I can highly recommend Cape Coral for a relaxing break on the Gulf Coast. Stayed there a couple times and love it.
Ninnybobs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Twice in a year... Oh go on then
Unread 16 Dec 19, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Notname

Thanks, Ill have a look at Cape Coral. Have also been looking at Anna Maria Island which I thought would be too expensive but otherwise fits the bill, and Ive seen some properties that we could afford.
Notname is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 19, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
FloRidaLvr
slightly serious Dibber

Think you might manage somewhere on AMI for your budget, plus it's a lot closer to TPA . We have rented from annamaria.com for the last 3 years , villa with private pool near the beach and a Publix , lol !
Florida 95 to 2006, Mexico/Belize 2007, Florida 08 to 2012, California Apr 13, Detroit/Florida April 14 , Naples Nov 14, AMI May 15 , Naples Nov 15, West Coast May 16, AMI Nov 16, Naples Nov 17 , AMI May 18, Naples Nov 18, AMI May 19 , Naples Nov 19
FloRidaLvr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Family Fun again , Orlando + AMI !
Unread 16 Dec 19, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
VIP Dibber

Id avoid Daytona, its a bit rough around the edges, at least in the central bit.
Gulf Coast, I have stayed from the panhandle all the way down on many trips, and many nice areas. Naples is perhaps the nicest area South of Orlando, but closer is Indian Shores. I would highly recommend a condo at Barefoot Beach Resort at Indian Shores, its very nice there, and reasonably priced. Lots on Homeaway.

Edited at 11:11 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Coast2Coast incl Grand Cali+Copper Creek
Unread 17 Dec 19, 01:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Notname

Mobile

Thanks all, Ive spent the whole evening looking at villas in the recommended areas! Need a break as theyre all merging into one 😂 Will pick this up again tomorrow 😊
Unread 14 Jan 20, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
CRISSY61
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I would recommend Anna Maria island/bradenton especially with young ones. Many beaches to choose from on the island plus boat trips plus close to mote marine aquarium & myakka river state park. Easy access by amazing Skyway bridge to St Pete beach & the narrow strip to clearwater. We stayed in cape coral last year & whilst enjoyed it relaxing as a couple would not recommend with kids. Beaches much better at Anna maria. But really depends on whether you are looking for attractions or just beautiful beaches & water activities
Unread 14 Jan 20, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Notname

Mobile

thanks v much! Ive actually booked something now, thankfully at Bradenton beach so glad youre recommending it 😄