Notices

Old 10 Oct 08, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
carolynn38
Very Serious Dibber

Dubai 2009

A few years ago I decided that I would LOVE to go to Dubai, and when I did I would hope to do it in style.

Looking at prices over the last couple of years I realized that 'style' meant big bucks.

Now we have been very lucky and had some fabulous holidays over the past few years, Caribbean cruise, Thailand, Canada, Orlando, Vegas, Mexico etc but even I realized that Dubai may just be a bit too expensive for a week.

Anyway, last Christmas I got into collecting Tesco Clubcard points in a 'serious' way (thanks to PTS) and made it my goal to save enough points to convert into a Dubai holiday with Virgin. I thought it may take a few years but was delighted to find a few months back that I had enough.

Originally I thought that we wanted to stay at the Jumeirah Beach Hotel, but after reading a certain trip report on here (thanks Hal) I decided it just HAD to be one of the 3 hotels in the Madinat Jumeirah.

I think the waterways swung it for me...

I spent quite a bit of time reading up on TA, and in the end decided that we would like to go for a Premium Leisure Room at the Mina A'Salam, as this included:

Complimentary services:
Unlimited access to the exclusive lounge area
Transfer (BMW, Chrysler, Mercedes or Limousine) to and from
Dubai International Airport
Breakfast within the dedicated lounge
All day beverages served in the lounge
Afternoon tea served from 3.00pm to 4.30pm
Pre-dinner canapés from 6.00pm to 8.00pm
Private boardroom for meetings of up to 6 people
Dedicated activities and facilities for children
Priority check-in/out in the comfort of the Premium Leisure lounge or
Club Executive lounge
Free pressing service (two items per stay)
Dedicated guest relations team
I had read up that alcohol is quite expensive in Dubai so I am hoping that the 2 hours we get in the lounge (6-8 pm which includes alcohol inc champagne) will be enough of a fix I need. I do like a glass or two of the old bubbly stuff

We would have liked a PL room in one of the other 3 hotels, the Al Qusar, but this wasn't covered with Virgin. I did ask them to see if they could get me a room rate, which they did, and believe me, the Burj would have been cheaper!

Anyway, got all this costed up with Virgin. Flying from Manchester with BMI, then LHR to Dubai then back again a week later.

Looking at the connecting flight times, we decided to get into LHR a few hours early (well 5 actually) as we could book the LHR Virgin Upper Class Lounge

It was meant to be £60pp but since Mr Tesco was paying we thought it would be rude not to take advantage.

So having found a really good contact at VH due to all my calls, we made a date for her to phone me so I could book. Much prefer to deal with the same person time and time again, so I was really pleased when this VH agent gave me her email address and told me to either get her direct via that, or just email her and get her to phone me back. It worked really well.

So there we have it, we now have a week booked at the Mina A Salam

Its DBF's birthdays whilst we are there, so probably will try and have Afternoon tea at the Burj or something to celebrate. I also want to do a bit of dune bashing, and of course shopping at the diamond park. Having a nosey around the Atlantis is also on the list, although its not getting very good reviews at the moment.

Luckily we also have free entry into Wild Wadi aquapark as we are staying at the adjacent hotel, so I guess we will take in a few trips there.

So roll on June 2009...

BTW, if anyone is interested the holiday cost £3,201.35 for both of us, B&B.

Mr Tesco is paying £3,200 and we are paying £1.35. Not bad if I say so myself...
carolynn38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 08, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
TrueBlue
Imagineer

TrueBlue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Wow Carolynn, you will love it there. I was in Dubai about 2 years ago but I was lucky as I have a brother over there so only needed a flight.

I was in the Madenat and it's a spectacular place. I didn't have the pleasure of saying in one of the hotels though

There is so much to see and do over there you'll never have a dull moment.

I'm looking forward to reading your trip report
TrueBlue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 08, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
corrinda
Imagineer

We have just come back from dubai after staying at the new atlantis our first holiday together in 15 years since we married ,it was £10 for a pint and £4 for a coke so very expensive but a fab place you will love it.Would recommend the dessert safari it was great fun.
corrinda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 08, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List