Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 15 Aug 17, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
MrPrice
Helping Minnie

Hi Katie
Did the walls of the hotel have metal gates with oriental style patterns? we stayed on Lindfields last November and we past a big site on the right from the 192 and wondered what was once there.
MrPrice is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 17, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by MrPrice View Post
Hi Katie
Did the walls of the hotel have metal gates with oriental style patterns? we stayed on Lindfields last November and we past a big site on the right from the 192 and wondered what was once there.
Hi Mr Price.

I'm not Katie I'm afraid but it was called the Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate when we were there but I don't recall the gates that you mention.

It did have a restaurant called Pineapple Petes which we tried for breakfast once. Once was enough.

It burnt down quite a few years ago.

Mick
Old 15 Aug 17, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
TillySmith
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by MrPrice View Post
Hi Katie
Hi I think the site you are talking about was where Splendid China used to be, it was as the name suggests a China themed park/attraction with temples/buildings/the terracotta
army figures etc. They were built by chinese artisans, all the buildings etc where build to a smaller scale from the originals. We visited there right from day one of it opening, I was sad when it closed, it just did not get the number of visitors through the gates. I guess because of its proximity to the 'other parks' nearby it did not stand a chance really.
It stood empty for years before the buildings etc were demolished, it is now the site of what will be (or may not be) Margueritaville.

Pam
TillySmith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 17, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by TillySmith View Post
Hi I think the site you are talking about was where Splendid China used to be, it was as the name suggests a China themed park/attraction with temples/buildings/the terracotta
army figures etc. They were built by chinese artisans, all the buildings etc where build to a smaller scale from the originals. We visited there right from day one of it opening, I was sad when it closed, it just did not get the number of visitors through the gates. I guess because of its proximity to the 'other parks' nearby it did not stand a chance really.
It stood empty for years before the buildings etc were demolished, it is now the site of what will be (or may not be) Margueritaville.
Pam

We never actually visited SC but we pass the back gates on our regular journeys down Funie Steed Road toward Formosa Gardens Boulevard.

As you say Margueritaville seems to have stalled. I can't work out what that concrete monolith is that you can see from 192. Looked to be no windows in it just solid walls of concrete.

Hopefully you will be able to report on your next trip that FSR is now fully surfaced through to NOLWR.

Mick
Old 15 Aug 17, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
TillySmith
Excited about Disney

Hi Mick

Will report back after our trip next month about FSR, if they ever do hard surface that part it would be handy for the new Walmart. We are not great Walmart fans though, much prefer Super Target, either before or after our Longhorn visits.

Pam
TillySmith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 17, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
katie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
We stayed there as well back in 1998.

Mick
It seems like it was the place to go back then
We got to stay there by accident -in those days bargains were to be found on teletext. I think we paid £99 each for a fly-drive with Travel City, asked them to rec'd a hotel and this was the only one on their books. It turned out to be OK and the holiday was intended to be a one-off so we were not too bothered where we stayed. We had Disney & Universal tickets, Seaworld & Busch Gardens, drove over to the Titanic Exhibition which was based in St. Petersburg at that time and also visited Kennedy Space centre. We had no idea what we were going to as we only booked a couple of weeks before we went. We used to breakfast at the Ponderosa and lunch at McDonalds. There was no DIBB in those days although there was another Disney board which we discovered when we got back, the name of which I cannot remember. Sorry - just reminiscing now.
Old 15 Aug 17, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hi Mick

Will report back after our trip next month about FSR, if they ever do hard surface that part it would be handy for the new Walmart. We are not great Walmart fans though, much prefer Super Target, either before or after our Longhorn visits.
Pam

We do visit Walmart but not as often as we go to Super Target or Publix and the one at Cagan Crossings will still be nearer for us anyway.

Yes it's odd isn't it? Wherever we eat at Rolling Oaks one of us will say "shall we have a quick mooch around Target?" If we eat out in Rugby we never say "Fancy a mooch round Tesco?"

We've actually bought at least three sets of Fieldcrest bathroom towels from Target over the years.

Mick
Old 15 Aug 17, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
MrPrice
Helping Minnie

Thank you for the info, there is nothing worse than seeing the remnants of something and not being knowing what it once was
MrPrice is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 17, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Hi Mick

Not surfaced yet!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 17, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by katie View Post
It seems like it was the place to go back then
We got to stay there by accident -in those days bargains were to be found on teletext. I think we paid £99 each for a fly-drive with Travel City, asked them to rec'd a hotel and this was the only one on their books. It turned out to be OK and the holiday was intended to be a one-off so we were not too bothered where we stayed. We had Disney & Universal tickets, Seaworld & Busch Gardens, drove over to the Titanic Exhibition which was based in St. Petersburg at that time and also visited Kennedy Space centre. We had no idea what we were going to as we only booked a couple of weeks before we went. We used to breakfast at the Ponderosa and lunch at McDonalds. There was no DIBB in those days although there was another Disney board which we discovered when we got back, the name of which I cannot remember. Sorry - just reminiscing now.
Katie

We must have both been watching teletext scrolling round to the old TCD page. We probably went at least a dozen times with them in a motley selection of aircraft into SFB - often via Bangor Maine to refuel.

In 1998 it was TCD again but this time to the HoJo Maingate West. It's still there but called something like Champions Resort. After that we did condos, town houses and now villas.

Have to say though that the TCD sales people in Blackpool and Swansea were very helpful.

Mick