Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Closed Thread

Old 23 Apr 09, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by disney doll View Post
PMLE is often in a v shape on your upper chest, just under your neck. My worst areas are my chest, arms, and knees. Its red and lumpy, a bit like a bad nettle rash. The lumps can become water-filled blisters. And it itches like mad, but scratching makes the blisters burst. Theres quite a bit of info on the internet about it.

In the US they recommend gradually increasing your exposue to the sun over a period of 6wks to 'harden' your skin. The problem for most of us Brits is that we don't get enough sun to expose ourselves to, and so when we go abroad the sudden exposure causes our skin to react.

Betacarotene works for most people, and apparently sun creams containing betacarotene are good too, but I have never found one in the UK.

DDx
that sounds exactly right, v under my neck on my chest! all these years i thought it was just sun rash! if you scratch it too it gets really sticky and it's horrible having your clothes touch it but you need to cover it so it gets better?
sounds like my next holiday will be much more comfortable using those tablets anyway! i am really pale skinned and dont go out at all in the sun here, i never sunburn but always get that rash.

i used aloe vera on it which cleared it up eventually...

thanks very much!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 09, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
alim
Apprentice Imagineer

My DH & DD suffer really badly from prickly heat.

My DH takes 1 piriton and 2 paracetmol every day and uses Piz Buin once a day cream and had no bother in Florida last year.

My DD 9 takes a spoonful of Piriton liquid everyday and uses the Piz Buin once a day

I didnt believe that anything would ever make them better but this had helped soooo much
Old 23 Apr 09, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Another thing i just thought of is avoid water proof sun creams they leave a film on your skin which traps in the heat and causes pmle.One year i slapped on the childrens nivea water proof spf and within an hour i was covered in blisters and had to hide in the shade for the rest of our hols!Im more careful about what i use on our kids now too.
Old 23 Apr 09, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post

I can second the getting a base tan on the sunbed advice, this is the only thing that works for me. I still use the Piz Buin Allergy just to be sure.
Old 23 Apr 09, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
carys
Imagineer

carys's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
The only one that has ever worked for ds2 and dh is Piz Buin once a day it is fantastic.
Old 24 Apr 09, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
*source*
Imagineer

This is a great thread I suffer from this too ~ on my chest and arms ~ sometimes the tops of my knees too... I don't get it if I go on a sunbed before I go on holiday but I haven't been on a sunbed for years and was just trying different suncreams. Piz Buin allergy worked for a while but the last time we were away (Portugal) I had it really badly even with wearing Piz Buin Allergy...
Would definately be worth trying the sunbed, and also the betacarotene tabs (must check out WHY they work? ! ~ I shall google it!) and also the Coppertone.

I even get it through the window of the car if the sun is shining on my arm ~ it is so annoying and really does spoil the holiday pleasure...

Thanks to all who have posted
*source* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 09, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
joandwayne
VIP Dibber

joandwayne's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 20
We use the Simple Suncreams and they are fab. Never burn and no longer get prickly heat.

AKL, Walt Disney World, July 2017, AKL, Walt Disney World, August 2016, Washington DC, California (Disney) and New York, August 2015, AKL, Walt Disney World, August 2014, West Coast USA and Disney Aulani, Hawaii, August 2013, Old Key West, Walt Disney World, Oct 2012, West Coast USA, Aug 2011, New York, April 2011, May 2009, Port Orleans, Walt Disney World, Oct 2010, Disney Cruise, May 2010, POP Century, Walt Disney World, Nov 2008, May 2007, Oct 2005, Kissimee Oct 2003, Oct 1990
joandwayne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 09, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks to everyone for posting what they use (hopefully it will help others too! )

Just so you know, my friend has opted to go for a brand called Ultrasun - info here:

ultrasun/

Old 24 Apr 09, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
RubyTuesday
Excited about Disney

Hi
My son suffers form terrible eczema , we have tried many, many lotions and potions. The only thing to adequately protect his skin from the sun and prevent irritation is Uvistat-we swear by it!
RubyTuesday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 09, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by ria View Post
I also suffer from polymorphic eruption and before going to Florida last year I did some research on the internet and found a site on which a doctor from New Zealand recommended a short course of sunbed treatment.
I used a sunbed approx 4 times for 3 mins each time and then used coppertone spray and no rash at all.
Am doing the same this year.
I can get 6 weeks of treament a yearat out local hospital which involves going in a UV booth for 10 secs - 3 mins 3 times a week. I did it for the first couple of years when I was diagnosed but to be hones with 4 kids it was getting a wee bit impractical to go. Didn't do much more than make me itch like hell for 6 weeks!

Going for the betacarotine this year! What would we do without the DIBBBB?
Closed Thread