Notices

Old 16 Jul 09, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Elderbly
Excited about Disney

New York and Canada this time

Me (Paula) 43, DH(Andrew)39, DD (Abbie) 14

This year we celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary and we always said we would have a 'special' holiday. "What's more special than WDW" I here you ask Well Ok then somewhere different! Originally it was going to be a cruise, then last year I went to Canada with my Mum to see her friend who had emigrated in 1974. I absolutely fell in love with the country and I just knew DH would love it too so we decided that was where we would go. I hope he does like it
I found a house on a web site ages ago and booked that, unfortunately it wasn't available for the first four days of our hols, we had already booked the dates at work and DH's place gets really busy so there wasn't much flexibilty. Never mind we will book a hotel for the first 4 days and do touristy things before we totally relax in the house (which sleeps upto 9!) Next was flights, last year I had booked with Canadian Affair, fantastic prices and good flights but a) we had to fly down to Gatwick and b) I got stung with excess baggage coming home. Just love the Canadian Dollar Store for craft stuff So we looked at other options, firstly no-one flys direct to Halifax from manchester so we had to change somewhere, Continental where coming in with the best price but DH wasn't to keen on 5 hours in Newark airport. "Ah, I have an idea" What if we don't stay for 5 hours, what if we stay for four days Well, we had to book a hotel anyway why not in New York. Now I am really excited. DH and I went in 1996 but DD has never been and has always wanted to go especially after bagging some bargains in Bloomingdales in Mall at Millenia last october. Decided then, it's a plan! Next we looked for a hotel, we checked out the hotel we had stayed at last time as we enjoyed our stay and it was a good location near to Grand Central Station. On the same map was the Waldorf Astoria, "go on" I said jokingly "check the price" to our amazement the price was the same! so it was booked 4 nights at the Waldorf.
It is exactly 4 weeks off now and I can't wait. Not much planning has gone into the Canadian part of the trip (except for buying 3 Jodi Picoult books off Amazon!), DH said to me "as you always plan Florida I will plan NY", I must say he's done a good job, booked a stretch limo from the airport, a meal in Gordon Ramsay's restaurant, and a film tour for DD, she's absolutely Friends crazy. Then the other tourist things like Empire state building, statue of Liberty and Top of the Rock. Thanks to those of you who have posted NY trip reports on here and have given us ideas. I'll take plenty of photos and be in touch in September!
Med Cruise07,NY&Canada09
Elderbly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 09, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post

hi, I am off to canada on 13 august, 9 nights in Nova Scaotia followed by 5 nights in Toronto - are we there at same time?

I stayed at the Waldorf Astoria last month, it was AMAZING, you will LOVE it, it made our trip for us, serioulsy the most lovely hotel. I loved NYC, cant wait to go back!

we fly from london to Halifax, travel to toronto via westjet, then direct from toronto back into manchester.

keep in touch!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 09, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Sounds fantastic... looking forward to hearing all about it.
Old 17 Jul 09, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
rylisal
Imagineer

We're off to Canada & a bit of USA very soon too!
Just going to post our itinerary!
Canada seems very popular with Dibbers this year!
Miami 1991(honeymoon!),Quality Inn Int Dv 1992,Buenaventura lakes Villa 1993,Quality Inn Int Dv 1995,Quality Inn Int dv 1997,Days Inn Lakeside 2000,Masters Inn Maingate 2002,Ramada Plaza MGate 2004, Liki Tiki Feb 2007 & Disney Wonder Cruise,DLP Feb '08,Terre Verde,DCL & Indian Shores Oct '08,Canada Aug09,June/July '10 CP & RPR, Feb/Mar '14 Mystic Dunes, Unversals RPR & POR, June/July '16 Florida road trip Sept '18 DLP!
rylisal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 09, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post

please post a full trippie when you get back. We really fancy New York and Canada and have nothing planned for next year yet! Really looking forward to hearing all about it - hope you have a fantastic time
Old 18 Jul 09, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
voddygirl
Imagineer

Sounds like a great trip...hope you have a fab time

Sept 1992 and 1996-Travelodge Maingate East
Sept 1997-Econolodge Hawaiin West
April 2004-Travelodge Maingate East
Sept 2006-Quality Inn Plaza
Oct 2008-Southern Dunes-Dibb villa
Jan 2010-The Dolphin & HRH-My 40th & Sept 2nd trip
Dec 2012 The Retreat Legacy Park -Dibb villa
March 2017 HRH Chicago
Sep 2017 The Retreat Legacy Park-Dibb villa
March 2018 Avanti Resort & HRH Daytona
voddygirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 09, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Elderbly
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by susieb View Post
hi, I am off to canada on 13 august, 9 nights in Nova Scaotia followed by 5 nights in Toronto - are we there at same time?

I stayed at the Waldorf Astoria last month, it was AMAZING, you will LOVE it, it made our trip for us, serioulsy the most lovely hotel. I loved NYC, cant wait to go back!

we fly from london to Halifax, travel to toronto via westjet, then direct from toronto back into manchester.

keep in touch!
Hi Susie,
We arive in Halifax on Monday 17th August, I have booked a house in Mineville, it's on the Dartmouth side of the harbour. Where are you staying? Have you anything planned? We are doing Pier 21 and Shubbernacadie zoo not much else planned. The house owner told us the local beach has firepits where you can take your steaks etc and have a BBQcan't wait x Where in manchester do you live, we live in Burnley Lancs
Med Cruise07,NY&Canada09
Elderbly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 09, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Elderbly
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by rylisal View Post
I really hope you have a fab time x
Med Cruise07,NY&Canada09
Old 21 Jul 09, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Elderbly
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by jiminy's pal View Post
please post a full trippie when you get back. We really fancy New York and Canada and have nothing planned for next year yet! Really looking forward to hearing all about it - hope you have a fantastic time
Thanks, I will try my best to do a trip report, I always start off with goo intentions The house we are staying in has internet access so it'll give me a better chance.x
Med Cruise07,NY&Canada09
Old 21 Jul 09, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Elderbly
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by rylisal View Post
LOL, I thought this as well, I haven't been on the dibb for ages and it seemed really spooky that after I had booked Canada, logged onto the dibb and that's where loads of dibbers are off too! The trip reports are ery interesting, I hope you are going to post one too x
Med Cruise07,NY&Canada09