Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 6 Dec 16, 06:52 AM  
Link to this Post
LIZH
Imagineer

Mobile

I totally agree with you prices are steadily rising and the exchange range is poor, so for the first time in 22 years we came home with no goodies as it wasn't much difference to what we pay at home.
LIZH is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 16, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Just had an email this morning from Red Lobster, $15.99 for a 4 course meal, offer expires 22/12, no coupon needed.
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 16, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
goldenoldie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by RPL1978 View Post
Agree with you. Four of us went yesterday to the new IHOP on highway 27. Over $40 dollars including tip for breakfast. We only gave 10% tip. Service was bad and food was only ok. We have found Perkins is cheaper and food is better
We went the same I hop a few weeks ago brilliant service and excellent food , we ate there four times for breakfast really enjoyed it , miles better by far than the Denny's at the top of the us 27 bad service and food this used to be our favourite place for breakfast we know all places can have bad days , but this time I-hop came out better 😀👍🏻
goldenoldie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 16, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

I have a bit of an update ! Further to my previous post.
We have found bargains!
Sunday we decided to have a trawl around Marshalls, Ross dress for less & home goods near the Mall of Millenia.
Came away with two Tommy Hilfiger T shirts one plain white one plain black ( labelled holiday16) so this years for $12:99 each
One pair of sketchers memory foam trainers for DH in black for $39:99 same style were $69:99 in premium Vineland.
One pair of Rokkit Navy Fitflops for me on clearance for $30
One pair of black Levi 501s for Dss $24:99
One marvel t shirt with dead pool on the front $6:99

They had Micheal Kors, Kate Spade , guess and Ralph Lauren bags galore.
We were in there an hour or so but we got all that for less than the price of one pair of 501's at home.
Also got a bag of Walmart candle melts for .93c to $ 2 each
And EoS lip balms for my neice for $2:96 at Walmart turkey lake road.
Plus two garlands for the stairs at home for half price at Micheals at the Loop so $8:99 compared to £15:99 I saw for one in The Range at home.

Edited at 04:56 PM.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 16, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

We were surprised at the increase in prices from our visit in April and our recent November visit. Eating out was so much more expensive and the supermarkets were pricey too.
Used to say that Florida was expensive to get to but great value once you got there now it's expensive for both.
TBH DH and me don't expect to go back anytime soon. Too busy, too expensive and Disney taking the p!
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 16, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post

EoS lip balms are always a good buy from walmart or target
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 16, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post

I took the same amount of money in 2015 and 2016.

2015 I filled 2 suitcases worth of stuff - MK bags, candles, souvenirs, pins etc.
2016 I had 1 suitcase, no bags, no candles, not as many souvenirs.

I really didnt feel like my money went that far this year
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 16, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Gilly120
Imagineer

Whilst we did find eating out and food shopping at Walmart more expensive, we found plenty to spend our money on.

Ralph Lauren 50% off and another 25% off when we spent over $150 dollars. Abercrombie jeans $30, tops, jumpers and polos 40% off plus 25% off again at tills, we paid aournd $20 dollars for the polo shirts. BBW candles $8.50 for 3 wick candles plus $10 or $20 off entire shop. Trainers at the Nike outlet shop had some great deals. Northface coat for my granddaughter was under $30.

Only thing we didn't buy was perfume as we found it more expensive, in the outlet it was buy one get 50% off but it still worked out dearer.
Old 6 Jan 17, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida-Sarah
Apprentice Imagineer

Florida-Sarah's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Yes, yes, yes. Food shopping has become very expensive. It actually makes me wonder how poorly paid Floridians afford to feed their families? . We did a small shop which would have cost us less than £30 at home -and paid $87. Sharing bags of crisps (own brand) were $2.89 in Publix, shower gels and other toiletries which you can pick up in most supermarkets here for £1.50 were all triple the price in dollars.
Bread (as another poster said) was triple the price, and even herbs and spices which we would pay 80p for were 4 times that much.
Perhaps I went to an expensive Publix, but we have always found groceries to be more expensive in the US. With the poor exchange rate things become very expensive.

WDW: 1992, 1993, 1996, 1998, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 x2, 2017, 2018, 2019 x 2

DCL: Disney Dream 2017, Disney Fantasy 2019
Florida-Sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 17, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

We usually shop in Publix when we go as there are just two of us and we like their products...plus Walmart items seem to more in the 'Bulk buy" range ...BUT this time we did two shops there ( we stay off site) and It was eye watering to say the least.

The third week of our holiday we went to Aldi in Tampa and it was fantastic, I was kicking myself we had'nt been before.
Our total shop for the week was $31 and that was lots of fruit/veggies, leaning towards the type of shop we do here.
We ended up bringing a lot of the none perishables home.

I don't buy any toiletries in the US any more as I find B&M & Home bargains cheap enough here.

Edited at 04:36 PM.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List