Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 25 Jan 21, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Best case scenario is the vaccines continue to work on all known variants in people’s bodies to a decent degree. This is suggested by many experts. So far they have tested it in labs on antibodies, but that is entirely different to the cocktail of immunity perhaps in massive amounts post vaccine.
They are scared at the moment quite rightly that if we get everyone vaccinated and the vaccine is rendered useless we are in trouble again.
If the vaccines hold up well in real world, apparently the government are privately saying that they expect all adults to be vaccinated by year end. The fear factor will then be mitigated and holidays should hopefully be on.
If however some variant is found to make the vaccine virtually useless, then they will have to get everyone done again and the fear of that when they are just finishing the first one may keep borders locked down until they feel they are on top of matters.
So basically our holidays possibly depend on how much these variants evade the immune system in a vaccinated person in real world and also how much the vaccines stop spread.
Old 25 Jan 21, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
MrBlueSky
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Gelatoni View Post
Honestly I don't think so. I'm feeling really hopeless about the whole situation and it's really brought me down.

Was even talking to DH about selling DVC again as I think international travel is over. He thinks i'm being too pessimistic. It just feels like with this virus being around forever and new variants every year, this is it 😢

It's nice to read some more positive comments on here though. Please somebody tell me i'm silly and shouldn't thinking about selling up.
Try not to feel hopeless. While the pandemic has dragged on, I'm confident that we're turning the corner with the rollout of the vaccines.

We should prepare ourselves for more travel restrictions over the coming days/weeks, as countries look to control the spread of COVID and the new variants. However, travel and tourism contributed >$9 trillion to the global economy in 2019, so international travel is here to stay, but it will take time to recover. I suspect vaccine passports will play a big part in the recovery.

I'm feeling quietly optimistic that this time in 7 months we will be enjoying a long overdue trip to the Land of the Mouse and exchanging insults by the pool with Mr and Mrs Morrow 😀
MrBlueSky is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

And just after I posted above Moderna has said it’s vaccine works against UK and SA virus.

“ Moderna Inc has said its Covid-19 vaccine produced virus-neutralizing antibodies in laboratory tests against new coronavirus variants found in the UK and South Africa.

A two-dose regimen of the Moderna Covid-19 vaccine is expected to be protective against emerging strains detected to date, the company said.

Moderna, however, said it would test a vaccine booster against the South Africa variant in pre-clinical trials to see if that would be more effective in boosting antibodies against the variant and other future variants.

Although all viruses mutate constantly, scientists are concerned about the mutations discovered in Britain and South Africa because they are believed to be capable of altering key functions of the virus.”

Edited at 03:48 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
MrBlueSky
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
If you have a fly drive you are protected by the Package Travel Regs. They basically have to get you there or have to refund you. So if they can’t get you on your package you are due a full refund.

Therefore if they don’t push that date back you will be better just letting them cancel you and getting a refund.

We have two booked with them, one is a deposit only of £300 but on the other we have paid over £2k so come next Christmas if it looks like that 2k is not going ahead and they haven’t given until the end of 2022 to use the voucher, I will just let them cancel.
I agree YT.

I would always recommend paying by credit card to get the additional benefits of the Consumer Credit Act. As a consumer one of the strongest protections you have are your chargeback rights that can be exercised though your Issuer if you don't get what you paid for.
MrBlueSky is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
And just after I posted above Moderna has said it’s vaccine works against UK and SA virus.

“ Moderna Inc has said its Covid-19 vaccine produced virus-neutralizing antibodies in laboratory tests against new coronavirus variants found in the UK and South Africa.

A two-dose regimen of the Moderna Covid-19 vaccine is expected to be protective against emerging strains detected to date, the company said.

Moderna, however, said it would test a vaccine booster against the South Africa variant in pre-clinical trials to see if that would be more effective in boosting antibodies against the variant and other future variants.

Although all viruses mutate constantly, scientists are concerned about the mutations discovered in Britain and South Africa because they are believed to be capable of altering key functions of the virus.”
YT, do the Oxford and Pfizer vaccines also cover these strains? I'm seriously losing track of everything! 🤯
Old 25 Jan 21, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by act1980 View Post
YT, do the Oxford and Pfizer vaccines also cover these strains? I'm seriously losing track of everything! 🤯
They are all expected to cover the UK one. Pfizer also covers UK one but not known on SA one. Very likely same stage for Oxford.

The Moderna one was not as effective in labs against the SA one, but even though there was a reduction, the vaccine is so good that it still offers protection even though the antibody response is reduced.

No one has seen what happens in the body yet, but the thinking is that if it is good enough in the lab it will be better if anything in the body.
Old 25 Jan 21, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MrBlueSky View Post
I agree YT.

I would always recommend paying by credit card to get the additional benefits of the Consumer Credit Act. As a consumer one of the strongest protections you have are your chargeback rights that can be exercised though your Issuer if you don't get what you paid for.
The difference speaks for itself. Booked a BA fly-drive, cancelled and had a refund in 3 days!

Meanwhile stuck with over £3000 'invested' in VA flight-only booking, with no way of clawing that back unless i wait last minute for flight cancellation.

NEVER booking flight-only again, and probably not with VA.
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
No matter which one, I believe you have no say in it, it's whatever one your GP/clinic has on the day you get there but if I was a betting man I'd say it isn't going to be Pfizer! There is obviously no correlation between Pfizer struggling to supply Europe & the New US President promising 100 million vaccinations in 100 days We all might get the Pfizer one next year as apparently this is likely to be an annual jab
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Originally Posted by act1980 View Post
Have a gin, that helps too 😉
That's one thing definitely on for 2021 🤪
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
MrBlueSky
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Gelatoni View Post
The difference speaks for itself. Booked a BA fly-drive, cancelled and had a refund in 3 days!

Meanwhile stuck with over £3000 'invested' in VA flight-only booking, with no way of clawing that back unless i wait last minute for flight cancellation.

NEVER booking flight-only again, and probably not with VA.
I understand. Unfortunately they have no obligation to refund unless they cancel the flight.

When we cancelled our May flight to WDW, BA gave us a future flight credit rather than a refund. We'd rather have the cash in our pocket, but at least we didn't lose the money.

I understand Virgin is also offering future flight credits that are good until December 2022.

Have you considered that as an option?