Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 5 Jan 21, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by salmim View Post
It's a funny place the Dibb all sorts on here.
Lap eaters...common as muck / chavs
Table eaters...(like us) proper posh.🤣🤣
I'm a table eater when I'm eating with hubby but I'll eat in front of the TV on a tray on the rare occasion he's out and enjoy doing so. I think I might just be pretending to be posh but I'm really just a common Black Country girl

Edited at 12:26 PM.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Scotsmomma2 View Post
It's like Upstairs Downstairs 😂
I know my place!
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

No never, breakfast, lunch and dinner all at the table. Much prefer to be sitting upright at the table. Old habits die hard
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
We have a small dining room and a table but rarely use it, my son is really the only one who sits there, occasionally we all do but much prefer watching something on tv with mine on my lap, and a pair of beady eyes watching every forkful I take 🐶
Old 5 Jan 21, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerMom
Apprentice Imagineer

No, all meals at the table and no electronic devices allowed. Only exception is Sunday breakfast when we all do our own thing.
TigerMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
tigerfee
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I grew up one of 5 children..we shared bedrooms and kitchen was too small for a table . The living room also had no room for a table and sofas and 7 people.
We had no choice but to eat with our plates on our knees..maybe it was just practice, but it's not as hard as some of you imagine it to be!
I know lots of families still live like this. Can't afford to buy a bigger house with a seperate dining room. And a lot of houses that are affordable are just designed too small for family life.
I have a big kitchen with a big breakfast bar and I keep a folding table for if I have people over for dinner, but mostly me and husband eat our dinner from a tray on our laps. Like me he grew up this way and can manage to balance it 🤣
tigerfee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by archibald View Post
I have never been in a house that doesn't have a table. It doesn't need to be an eight foot dining table with 6 chairs and two carvers, but I find it hard to believe that people 'don't have room' for a table.

You'll be telling me that everyone eats with the television on next
Wow! I have lived in several homes not big enough for a table.
My current house is a 2 up 2 down terrace. We have a small IKEA table against the wall under the stairs. To use it we have to pull it out and it fills the kitchen. Therefore we do that Christmas Day and if anyone is coming round for dinner, maybe 5x a year.
The rest of the time yes we sit in the living room, and put our plates on cushions. Shock horror with the tv on...
Old 21 Jan 21, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We'll often eat lunch - usually just a sandwich etc off a tray but cooked meals are always eaten at a table together, most days in the kitchen rather than the dining table.
DH was brought up eating off a tray / knee, but in our family (3 kids) we always had to eat at the table, so I can't imagine eating dinners on my knee. We only lived in a small 'street house' and the table leaves were folded after each meal.
When we had kids at home every meal was eaten at the table together, and now DS family always eat their main meal at the table, and DD even has a small round table in her 1 bed flat.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984

Edited at 08:27 PM.
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 21, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
I have never been in a house that doesn't have a table. It doesn't need to be an eight foot dining table with 6 chairs and two carvers, but I find it hard to believe that people 'don't have room' for a table.

You'll be telling me that everyone eats with the television on next
You must have led a privileged life or not been in many houses?

The majority of my friends don’t have tables in their homes (other than coffee tables) and growing up I can assure you there was no room for a table in our house and OH testifies the same for the house he grew up in. We could barely all fit in the living room at the same time and the kitchen was just big enough for two people to stand in. I suppose we could have perhaps squeezed a table for two in our parents bedroom but that would have been unconventional .

Oh, and yes, TV is always on in this house when eating our tea - usually the local news.
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 21, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

I prefer to eat at the table but OH takes his meals into the lounge and eats from his lap. So, we never eat our meals together which suits me just fine. He’s the noisiest eater that ever lived!