Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Jan 21, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
katy341
Imagineer

Money money money!

Hi everyone! We used to always take a Thomas Cook card to Europe and use cash and credit card for florida...

The children are taking around 650-700 pound each (there's 4 children!) We will be taking spends plus we need to pay for food etc now there's no ddp.

We keep looking at rates and they are hovering around 1.33ish

What do those with big families do? Do you think we should buy some now at that rate...thinking maybe Biden being sworn in May make the dollar stable/stronger?

I know its guessing games just after some opinions x
katy341 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
gazadonna9
slightly serious Dibber

gazadonna9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
The dollar is currently at 1.3722 on my revolut app
It has steadily been increasing since Christmas - you buy it at business rate and can convert it back if you no longer need it.
I have bought some at 1.32. 1.34 and 1.36
gazadonna9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Stevelovesfl
Excited about Disney

I don’t get why you’d want to load a prepaid card with large sums when you have no immediate use for it. These cards are often subject to KYC checks and with the shenanigans of wirecard I’d use a pay as you go approach. The pound is also likely to get stronger over time.
Stevelovesfl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
reddwarfposse5
Very Serious Dibber

We've just purchased £1500 on our Caxton card and gained about $180 over what we got last time we went (Sep 2019). We intend going back (hopefully this year) but if not, it will be good for the year after.

We took the £4.99 buy back offer that was on so if the rate changes dramatically in our favour, we can swap the money back at the rate we paid and reorder at the better rate.
Old 18 Jan 21, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
deek72
Serious Dibber

I've long since stopped stressing out about exchange rates in the build up to a holiday. I just use a Halifax Clarity card for all my foreign travel and just be happy that I'm getting the best rate at the time I use it.

I just draw a few hundred quid of whatever currency it is at the airport for small change and pay it off straight away to avoid any charges.

I do the same again if I need to withdraw any more.
deek72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
teamsingo134
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by deek72 View Post
I've long since stopped stressing out about exchange rates in the build up to a holiday. I just use a Halifax Clarity card for all my foreign travel and just be happy that I'm getting the best rate at the time I use it.

I just draw a few hundred quid of whatever currency it is at the airport for small change and pay it off straight away to avoid any charges.

I do the same again if I need to withdraw any more.
We do similar with our Nationwide credit card. Take a few hundred dollars for incidentals and everything else just goes on fee free card.

Can track it real time on the app and then pay it off when get back.
teamsingo134 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

I have clarity and a starling debit card which works really well for cash withdrawals and the rates on both are very good. I appreciate the benefits of being able to load a card with a good exchange rate but I don't always have the cash spare to do this so just save in my starling account and it keeps it separate from my everyday cash.
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 21, 01:43 AM  
Link to this Post
popdriver
Proud to wear my Ears

Just get a startling or monzo current account, all fee free and at the right exchange rate... if you want credit card get a creation one...
popdriver is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
baggies
Very Serious Dibber

baggies's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I'm another Starling user, with a Nationwide credit card for backup. I like that they are Mastercard and Visa to keep my options open
Oct 2005 DLP Newport Bay Hotel
May 2004 i-Drive, Oct 1995 i-Drive
baggies is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

We use starling over there,very useful.
nadya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List