Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Jan 21, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
pchivvy
VIP Dibber

pchivvy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We've only encountered them in September but certainly not each time.

There was one horrendous year though where they were just everywhere. I remember having to go back to reception once as we literally couldn't get to the door of our room because of the swarm all over the walkway outside our room over the floor and walls. They came and swept them all away, my son was completely freaking out.

2017- Eeyores Escape
2013 and 2014- Hampton Lakes
2012-8 nights AKL, 7 BWV
2011- Disneys Port Orleans Riverside
2004-2010- Various Villas, RPR
2002- All Star Movies, Clearwater
2001- Holiday Inn
2000- All Star Movies
pchivvy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

We were there April/May 2018 leaving on (I think) 10th May and didn’t come across them. We also went September/October 2019, landing on 26th September - we were in Disney for the first week and tended to see love bugs around our hotel grounds (Coronado Springs) and the bus stops. By the time we’d gone to Cabana Bay (Universal) a week later, we barely noticed any. So from my experience, not early May but definitely late September - I guess it could vary each year though!
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Stepaway
Serious Dibber

Went end of May and into June a few years ago and never noticed any
Stepaway is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
FeFe
VIP Dibber

FeFe's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
They are the only downside to going in May IMO. Just an annoyance though. Never saw them anytime we’ve been in June
June 14 New York and Summer Bay
May 17 DIBB villa and Hard Rock
March 18 Hotel Metro New York
October 18 Majorca
June 19 Dibb Villa and Hard Rock
June 2022 dibb villa and Hard Rock
June 2024 Heron Villa again hard rock and poss beach club for couple of nights
FeFe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

September 1992 I remember being a particularly bad year. They were bad as well a few years ago when I wasn’t there, think that was May.
Old 24 Jan 21, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

We have been a few times mid to end of May and never really noticed any. In 2019 we went end of April to mid May and wow, they drove me bonkers. There were thousands of them. If we sat out round the pool it wasn't a pleasant experience. These fornicating flies were landing on you all the time, on your drinks or food, never experienced anything like it before. Don't know if it was an epidemic year for them but it wasn't pleasant.
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 21, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
keely21
Very Serious Dibber

I keep hearing so many conflicting times when they come out. I guess you never really know. Ive heard end august throughout September then others have said end September throughout October...? Also hearing end April throughout May and sometimes beginning april. Makes it hard to plan with avoiding them in mind so I guess its just hope for the best! Lol
Old 27 Jan 21, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

You can always reduce the population of love bugs with your hire car 😀

We usually go in May and went thro a swarm with the car one day, but never saw any for the rest of the holiday. ( the photo is not of our hire car BTW )
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 21, 03:11 AM  
Link to this Post
josephus_fl
slightly serious Dibber

josephus_fl's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Love bugs come twice a year, around May and September. They normally last for around 4 weeks.

They are a non stinging/biting pest. They will be everywhere, but there are clear areas of greater and lesser numbers. I seldom get any by my house, but friends living a few miles away will have a different experience.

The rain keeps them at bay and probably shortens their life expectancy. A morning storm will clear them out and make the rest of the day easier. Consecutive storm days will heavily see their numbers reduce.

I think the last real bad season was May 2018 when we had virtually no rain for their duration. They bred so much that Sept 2018 and May 2019 was also pretty bad. We’ve had heavy rain in Sept 19, May 20 and Sept 20 so I’m anticipating smaller numbers this May.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the parks spray bushes at night to kill them off which is why many tourists report not seeing them. I know there is an active team who do a similar job to keep mosquito numbers down. If you’re in a villa then you’d not get that luxury.
josephus_fl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List