Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Jan 21, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Apprenticeship for a 16/17year old?

Hi all,

My son is in his first year of college doing a Btec in engineering.

Last summer he just missed out on an engineering apprenticeship and now is thinking of applying for another.

He is still 16 and this would mean living away from home for 4 nights a week at aged 17 if he starts in September.

I realise that this is normal for university at 18, but I can’t help feel as though he’s too young to do this a year earlier than most of his peers.

Has anyone else’s child done something similar as a 16 or 17 year old - the campus mentions food being included for those under 18, so obviously this must happen, but I don’t know anyone whose child has done this, so would just value opinions on anyone that has been in this position before.

Thank you!
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Not 1st hand but my friends daughter did a sports science btec (or something like that) at Loughborough sports college (I think!) and lived there from 16 so the years equivalent to A-levels. She then returned to Leeds to attend Beckett university but despite being back in her home town she opted for halls of residence.

She was always a very independent and capable girl and was practically chomping at the bit to move out of home!

Another friends eldest left home last Sept at 16 to do very similar in Birmingham but she’s a footballer so she’s associated with a women’s team while studying.

Edited at 04:59 PM.
ely3857 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Fairysparkled
Excited about Disney

Try the gov.uk find an apprenticeship site. Both of mine got theirs from this site.
Fairysparkled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
My sons friend has one week away per month for his apprenticeship and has done since he was 17. He gets all his meals provided and seems to enjoy it .

My son just finished his apprenticeship his was home based though 4 days a week working and 1 day a week college .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List