Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 24 Jan 21, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
I asked a question. Is that allowed? Is that ok?

Chill yourself... dude
LOL, I guess I am a dudess (too old to be a dudette!)

Pretty chilled actually though no snow here!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

As an aside - I started rewatching Oliver Stones JFK today ... really surprised it still has dialogue with the N word in it, yet the Dambusters film has been edited... no consistency it would appear...
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

As an aside - I started rewatching Oliver Stones JFK today ... really surprised it still has dialogue with the N word in it, yet the Dambusters film has been edited... no consistency it would appear...
That is interesting - I haven’t seen Dambusters (!) maybe it depends on the context? I know it’s still in the likes of Mississippi Burning because it is necessary to tell the story...
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 01:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Jamie99
VIP Dibber

Clearly a well thought out article by professional journalists. I particularly liked the image description of the “lovable elephant Bambi”
Jamie99 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 06:33 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by babbymint View Post
A non story by this tabloid. The films are still there with an advisory. I don’t have any issue with that - like any other film/book/song that contained potentially inflammatory or subtle racism. Times change...
I agree with everything you say except the first sentence. I haven’t seen this report before, so for me it’s a new story.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Best not watch Airplane!
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 21, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Princess Alison View Post
Best not watch Airplane!
Surely you can't be serious?

(I'll get me coat)

I have no problem with Disney + putting some of their content behind a disclaimer. Wouldn't call it censorship, more advisory. The Wail will, of course, being professionally offended (whilst simultaneously showing photos of women getting out of flash cars awkwardly showing their smalls) make a puritan song and dance about it... And then comment on how much a house is worth in the street of Mr Offended watching Disney +

I used to love watching Jeeves and Wooster back in the day... Imagine that being made now? Times do indeed change.
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 21, 06:09 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by babbymint View Post
That is interesting - I haven’t seen Dambusters (!) maybe it depends on the context? I know it’s still in the likes of Mississippi Burning because it is necessary to tell the story...
It’s the dog, a black Labrador. The N word was also used to be used to describe a shade of brown, you could even buy N Brown paint in the shop back then. It was a common name for a brown or black dog (seems unbelievable now), my grandparents had a black Labrador of that name back in the 1950s according to my father. Times change.
The dog was the mascot of the Dam Buster’s squadron so it is historically accurate to have it in the film. Whether historically accurate means it is acceptable, well that’s another matter.

Edited at 06:14 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 21, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

I think that will just be a rating/watershed/audience decision.

Dam Busters was certified "U", likely to be shown any time of the day, therefore edit the n-word.
JFK a 15, only after nine (unedited) on terrestrial TV or behind a pin or age appropriate subscription streaming service. No requirement to edit, as adults should be expected to know the times in which a film is based.

Edited at 10:19 AM.
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 21, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
I agree with everything you say except the first sentence. I haven’t seen this report before, so for me it’s a new story.
It might be new information to you, but it isn't a story. That's what's meant by "non-story".

Disney has merely reclassified some films due to their content meaning that now they have to be viewed as part of a parent's account rather than a kid's account. In effect, they've sort of made the listed films PG rather than U. That's all. It's not a story.

Did you also know that you can't watch Pixar's Cars 3 film via a kids profile? And a child can't watch Finding Dory nor Fantasia? There are quite a few Disney animated movies that cannot be viewed in the kids profile for a variety of reasons. That might be useful information, maybe, but just as those other choices made by Disney are not a story, the same goes for these.

And, personally as a parent, I'd want to be in control of what my children watched anyway.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List