Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 27 Jan 20, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Invisible Man
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by skstorm View Post
I second this, we are only 20 mins from Manchester but last time stayed at the Radisson Blu the night before and what a difference it made, we did twighlight check in the night before and chilled out at the hotel. In the morning, no worrying about what you've forgot or rechecking the house 4 times, had a really fab leisurely breakfast at the hotel which was probably cheaper than the airport and then strolled over. Would definitely do it again.
And another from me. We are 30 mins from Manchester airport and for the first time ever we are staying over the night before at Crowne Plaza. Twilight check in then chill out and early night without worrying about the M60//M56 rush hour. Extends the holiday and could be setting a prescient for future trips..😄
Invisible Man is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Just to provide a contrary view...

I live less than 10 minutes away from the airport. There really wouldn't be any point me staying over in a hotel the night before. The taxi ride from my house would probably take as long as a taxi from the hotel, I'd still have to recheck the house 4 times the day beforehand, I'd still be worrying about whether I'd switched everything off and have everything in my suitcase, etc. Plus I'd have to pack some overnight stuff for the night before and worry that I'd got everything I needed for that and that I'd packed this stuff up on the morning, pay extra to book a hotel and worry that I'd booked it correctly, maybe pay extra for a taxi to the hotel and then a taxi to the airport from the hotel in the morning, etc.

For me, going straight from home to the airport on the morning of the flight is less hassle, worry and cost than booking an unnecessary hotel the night before. And going from Manchester airport is far less hassle than going from any other airport where I would have to book a hotel for the night before (as well as probably taking an extra day off work and maybe paying for a hotel room on the way back too).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 11:10 AM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
pretty_lucky
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Just to provide a contrary view... .
I’m sorry, but I don’t accept your contrary viewpoint!
Old 29 Jan 20, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by skstorm View Post
Had a really fab leisurely breakfast at the hotel which was probably cheaper than the airport and then strolled over. Would definitely do it again.
The Premier inn breakfast is part of what makes it more valuable for us. 2a2c, kids eat free at a tenner each, compares very well to the cost of airside breakfast for 4, and goes someway to paying for the hotel. Also, bundling hotel with parking cheapens it, so for us last year it's was almost free. I also look forward to sausages at breakfast, as we rarely have full English at home... simple pleasures, but that to me is a value.

Totally get Nimbus's view, we spent years considering it as a cost with no real value...until we tried it. If I was 10 minutes away, I probably wouldn't bother... sausages aside
Old 29 Jan 20, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
Totally get Nimbus's view, we spent years considering it as a cost with no real value...until we tried it. If I was 10 minutes away, I probably wouldn't bother... sausages aside
The breakfast argument is a compelling one, I must admit.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List