Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 22 Jan 20, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
dollydaydream7
Very Serious Dibber

dollydaydream7's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Ohana or spirit of aloha?

Dinner at ohana or the spirit of aloha dinner show? I like the idea of the show for my kids but heard food isn't great and bad food makes me sad 😂

Anyone done both? Which do you prefer?
dollydaydream7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Ivegottadream
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We've only done Spirit of Aloha and sadly all of the terrible reviews are correct. Poor quality, lukewarm food served at breakneck pace.
Definitely go for Ohana.
Ivegottadream is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
dollydaydream7
Very Serious Dibber

dollydaydream7's Reviews
Originally Posted by Ivegottadream View Post
We've only done Spirit of Aloha and sadly all of the terrible reviews are correct. Poor quality, lukewarm food served at breakneck pace.
Definitely go for Ohana.
Thank you for honest review, I'd be so annoyed if I use two credits and the food way pants
dollydaydream7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I’ve done both. Ohana for food without shadow of a doubt. I didn’t like the show or food one bit at Spirit of Aloha. The show is personal opinion though of course. The food IMO was nasty. We also got sat on a table with the family from hell but that’s bad luck I guess!
Old 23 Jan 20, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

We also did both

Ohana is always a stuffer (sorry I meant a winner )
we usually need to be rolled out of the restaurant, as no longer able to walk out

Even if Ohana has gone a bit down (in our opinion) over the years, and we have had rushed and unfriendly experiences at times, it will remain a go-to place

Spirit of Aloha ... well, there is one good thing about it ... alcohol is included (or used to be) and so is tip.

the show is cheesy at best. The highlight is the flame juggler at the end, and it was cool indeed ... and it's only a few days later that we realised that you could see almost the same number at the Festival of the Lionking (If that number has not changed, as we don't bother with shows anymore anyway)

the food ... well ... it's served on large platters to share among the people at the table. you're rushed because you need to eat before the show ... so hurry, hurry ...
there are serveral categories, and even though we were Cat 1 they tried to seat us in cat 3 ... with a huge pillar just blocking the view ... we promptly were reseated in our booked category, but that taught me never to book cat 2 or 3 (you must book those if using the DDP) even though you'll find many people having have cat 2 or 3 argue that they still have a good view, well, they were lucky then

the food, yup I talked about the food ... see how fast I strayed from that subject ... that shows how "memorable" the food was ... I simply forget to tell about it because there is nothing to say about it

all in all, we're glad we did the show, that was new for us, that was a "taste of the islands" ... errr ... no, it wasn't, it was cheesy, and that's definitely not something we would return to

Ohana on the contrary ... well timed with a fireworks watching from the beach at the poly, that's something we do, even when we don't stay at wdw

Edited at 10:28 AM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
AliceCooper9
Apprentice Imagineer

We were not impressed with Ohana the one and only time we went. Too much average food thrown at you, very noisy and rushed and just not great. Maybe we might give another go next trip to see there is any improvement.

Spirit Of Aloha the food was ok and I don't remember it being that terrible. The show was ok. It started slow but ended with the fire dancer who was really good. If you can book Cat 1 seats as CAT 2/3 were not great.

If it was a choice between them I would have to go with Spirit of Aloha as at least you get a show.

Edited at 02:40 PM.
AliceCooper9 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
NickPytlinski
Proud to wear my Ears

depends what exeprience you want.

spirit of aloha you get a show (good or bad its still a disney show so it is pretty ok) the food is pretty standard, not memorable but you get drinks included and decent service from my exeprience.

o'hana, is better food quality and more personal and a nice family relaxed atmosphere. normally good service. depends what you want
Old 23 Jan 20, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
dollydaydream7
Very Serious Dibber

dollydaydream7's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
We also did both

Ohana is always a stuffer (sorry I meant a winner )
we usually need to be rolled out of the restaurant, as no longer able to walk out

Even if Ohana has gone a bit down (in our opinion) over the years, and we have had rushed and unfriendly experiences at times, it will remain a go-to place

Spirit of Aloha ... well, there is one good thing about it ... alcohol is included (or used to be) and so is tip.

the show is cheesy at best. The highlight is the flame juggler at the end, and it was cool indeed ... and it's only a few days later that we realised that you could see almost the same number at the Festival of the Lionking (If that number has not changed, as we don't bother with shows anymore anyway)

the food ... well ... it's served on large platters to share among the people at the table. you're rushed because you need to eat before the show ... so hurry, hurry ...
there are serveral categories, and even though we were Cat 1 they tried to seat us in cat 3 ... with a huge pillar just blocking the view ... we promptly were reseated in our booked category, but that taught me never to book cat 2 or 3 (you must book those if using the DDP) even though you'll find many people having have cat 2 or 3 argue that they still have a good view, well, they were lucky then

the food, yup I talked about the food ... see how fast I strayed from that subject ... that shows how "memorable" the food was ... I simply forget to tell about it because there is nothing to say about it

all in all, we're glad we did the show, that was new for us, that was a "taste of the islands" ... errr ... no, it wasn't, it was cheesy, and that's definitely not something we would return to

Ohana on the contrary ... well timed with a fireworks watching from the beach at the poly, that's something we do, even when we don't stay at wdw

Oo tell me more about timing with the fireworks, I’m assuming it’s the magic kingdom ones? Where can you watch the fireworks from?