Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 Jan 20, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
suehen
Imagineer

I booked 7 rewards seats for our trip in 13weeks I think I had about 170000 they are all eco seats but I texted them as wanted to take our Granddaughters as our daughter health was not great last year needed something to get her though this and look forward too. In June I sent a texted Virgin flying Club asked if I could get rewards flight gave them 4 days from Manchester and all the names of passengers received a text back about 30 minutes I could get 7 reward seats for 24th April had to fly at 10.00am. Booked them and just paid the taxes and fees think it was about £1300. If was just me and DH would have just premium or UC with the points. i thought I would be lucky to get 4 seat not 7 thought they would have just said no but smile on our DD face was all we needed, she maybe 32 but we still worry and oh boy is our oldest GD getting excited now.
suehen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by yogadeb View Post
No economy classic out
PE home

2 adults and a kid
Coming in at around £3k before the miles plus money discount applied ( it’s just a mock booking to gage stuff atm)

I think it’s a rip off too tbh , where the hell have all the reward flights gone
Sorry I think that is extremely poor value.
I thought it wasn't that great for Upper, but for economy and PE, that's crap.

I wouldn't go for it.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

After 10 years of accruing points, and some from a complaint resolution, we finally had enough for a flight that we'd otherwise have paid for. The problem is that by now we have 2 kids, so whilst our flights were "free", we had to pay for them, along with our taxes. The upshot is that our outlay was just less than 2k for 4 of us. direct MAN-MCO, early out, late back. Perfect flights for us, cheaper than we'd dared to dream. The only thing we had to compromise on was that we moved the holiday forward by 4-5 days to hit some availability, which was preferred to indirect! We've have had to go indirect this year, and have already spent marginally more, and have yet to add bags.

With so many points, I would guess that you've looked at various rewards in the past, but rejected them. Whilst I appreciate that knowing you could get better value if you went off peak to somewhere else might change your plan and certainly knowing what the best offers for your route might be will help. I was however always conscious that up until you use them the points are worth nothing. Holding out for a best deal may mean you end up with more and more points that never seem to fit your needs.

If it works for you it's a good deal irrespective of what perceived value the points may have elsewhere.
Old 25 Jan 20, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
BigSkip
Imagineer

Miles and money is generally considered to be bad value for money, but if it made the difference between going and not, then I'd use them like that, you are a tad hamstrung by the time of year you are wanting to go, they know they can fill planes that time of year.

It's not just bucket and spade routes that can be troublesome to get rewards for, We are planning a West Coast trip, we have the miles to fly upper out, PE back, but can't get two upper reward seats on the same plane, currently, i will be flying out two days earlier than my wife.

Cest la Vie.

Hope you have a great holiday, however you use your miles.

Edited at 06:52 PM.
BigSkip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Mymemories
VIP Dibber

I managed to book 5 UC return reward seats for Xmas just gone.

We went direct LGW-MCO on the way out and MCO-JFK-LHR on the way back. It took a lot of perseverance but it is possible. Also use seatspy,com to keep an eye on what reward seats are available.
Old 27 Jan 20, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Wembleygal
Imagineer

Wembleygal's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Personally, I would only use that many points for a long-haul Business Class flight or to upgrade flights ...
Wembleygal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List