Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 16 Jan 20, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinKing
Trying for More Ears

Thanks Mick and George, great to know they've chosen a nice resort, sounds like I'll pick the 417 and 192 maybe...

Originally Posted by georgemac View Post
Hope you get a nice motor, and I picked up a few things from the thread - can you go up the Full Size SUV line and tell them the vehicle you want?
My understanding is that it depends on whether you're intercepted by Alamo staff before you get to the row, but people seem to have been able to ask for a specific model or ask to have a look down the row before choosing. Seems to be better received if you ask before they've gone to get a set of keys and then say "oh no I don't want that one..."

Charm offensive all the way! Of course it ultimately depends on what they have when you arrive.

Someone with first-hand Alamo MCO full size SUV experience can confirm, though...

Edited at 10:43 PM.
PumpkinKing is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Katnic1
Imagineer

Can someone explain to me how a visitors toll pass works? We used the automated one in the car last time (sunpass?) we are driving from Miami to Orlando and back, so would the visitors pass work out better for me? We have car hire from Alamo but not booked direct it’s through a tour operator as part of a package, so would we still be able to get one? Thanks.
Katnic1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
dpmcalister
Apprentice Imagineer

dpmcalister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Their website is here: visitortollpass/

My understanding is that, basically, you sign up in advance, collect the tag/card before you get your car and then just hang it from the rear view mirror (removing it from there when you park if you want to hide that you're a tourist - just don't forget to put it back).
Old 17 Jan 20, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Katnic1 View Post
Can someone explain to me how a visitors toll pass works? We used the automated one in the car last time (sunpass?) we are driving from Miami to Orlando and back, so would the visitors pass work out better for me? We have car hire from Alamo but not booked direct it’s through a tour operator as part of a package, so would we still be able to get one? Thanks.
Unfortunately the VTP is only available for collection from MCO

Alamo is the best of the Sunpass schemes though.

Mick

Edited at 04:19 PM.
mick is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
dpmcalister
Apprentice Imagineer

dpmcalister's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Unfortunately the VTP is only available for collection from MCO
I completely forgot about that aspect. Thanks Mick.
Old 17 Jan 20, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by dpmcalister View Post
I completely forgot about that aspect. Thanks Mick.
It's currently an initiative by the "Central Florida Expressway Authority" but hopefully it may be extended to other areas taking in MIA, SFB and TPA.

I'm sure the VTP is here for good though but it's just a question as to whether they introduce an admin fee after the current pilot stage ends.

Alamo's scheme has a maximum admin fee of around $20 if you use it around five days or more but you do pay the full posted tolls. If VTP set an admin fee of around $10 it should still be a winner.

Mick
Old 19 Jan 20, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandonewbie
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Sorry this is slightly off topic but I’d be very wary of offering too much in the way of taxi services to your family. If you’re on site and have access to EMH do you really want to miss them to go and pick them up? That journey is at least 20 minutes each way if there’s no traffic and there will be traffic in July. So that’s 1 1/2 hours minimum out of you day to pick them up and drop them off. What if they want to go home when you’re not ready to leave or you’re tired but they want to stay later?
We shared a car with extended family last holiday and we ended up leaving earlier than we would like more than once which is a shame when the tickets are so expensive.
orlandonewbie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
sunny days
Getting Excited

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
The VTP is certainly cheaper than any car company's Sunpass scheme.

The current VTP trial period is totally admin fee free and some tolls are actually cheaper. For instance we were charged 52 cents leaving the 417 at j3 onto the Osceola and the "pay cash" rate is $1.

Alamo is the best of the Sunpass schemes and their daily charge is $3.95 per USAGE day with a maximum for the period of $19.75

Mick
Hi
Do you need to tell Alamo you have the VTP and get them to switch theirs off in the vehicle? Or is it an automatic thing? Thanks
Old 25 Jan 20, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by sunny days View Post
Hi
Do you need to tell Alamo you have the VTP and get them to switch theirs off in the vehicle? Or is it an automatic thing? Thanks
There aren’t transponders in the cars apart from some Avis vehicles.

The tolls are in the main recorded by Plate Pass which is the photography of the rear number plate.
So nothing to tell the rental agency and with Alamo no transponder to turn off.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
sunny days
Getting Excited

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
There aren’t transponders in the cars apart from some Avis vehicles.

The tolls are in the main recorded by Plate Pass which is the photography of the rear number plate.
So nothing to tell the rental agency and with Alamo no transponder to turn off.
Thanks for that 👍🏻 So hanging the VTP on the rear view mirror is all we have to do then? 😉