Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Sep 19, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile Nintendo switch

Does anyone have one of these?
If so, how do you rate it?
My youngest is 6 and to be honest he the main thing he wants Christmas is a giant cardboard box to make a den with.
He has now said he wants a Nintendo switch as well.
He currently has my middle son’s old x box but doesn’t use it very often, maybe once or twice a week for mine craft. He prefers to watch YouTube on the I pad or play ‘my singing monsters’ on the iPad (he would do that all day if we let him)
So would you recommend a switch? They seem very expensive and the games look expensive too. Although he only wants mine craft & super mario games (both around £25 each)
If he does get one could he use it on the flight? If so, can you use headphones with it?
Thanks
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We have a switch that the kids 11 & 6 share. We have MARIO kart and MARIO party which my 6yr old is able to play. There was one MARIO game can’t remember the game, I will have to ask my dh when he gets home, that was very difficult and actually only my dh completed.
I would assume to can use on an aeroplane. My dd uses it in the car with headphone when going on a road trip.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post

We all love the switch and play it quite often .
I like how we can all play together on the tv or if dd wants a go she can just use it as a handheld .
We are getting her the switch lite for Christmas as this will be easier to take away for trips as it’s smaller.
Old 27 Sep 19, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
KevinCosmos
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Does anyone have one of these?
If so, how do you rate it?
My youngest is 6 and to be honest he the main thing he wants Christmas is a giant cardboard box to make a den with.
He has now said he wants a Nintendo switch as well.
He currently has my middle son’s old x box but doesn’t use it very often, maybe once or twice a week for mine craft. He prefers to watch YouTube on the I pad or play ‘my singing monsters’ on the iPad (he would do that all day if we let him)
So would you recommend a switch? They seem very expensive and the games look expensive too. Although he only wants mine craft & super mario games (both around £25 each)
If he does get one could he use it on the flight? If so, can you use headphones with it?
Thanks
The switch can definitely be used for flights, but you'd need a battery pack as it only has enough battery for around 3 hours before it needs charged again.

They are bringing out a new model of the switch (not the Switch Lite) which has an upgraded CPU which is meant to increase battery performance, but I'm not sure if/when it'll land in the UK. You can get more info and find out how to know if you get a new Switch CPU or not here: pocket-lint/games/ne...intendo-switch

You could opt for the Switch Lite, which is effectively the same as the Switch but it's only designed for handheld mode (i.e. you can't hook it up to your TV). It also has improved battery performance. You can read a review here: theverge/circuitbrea...ressions-price

Yes, you can plug in headphones - I don't think bluetooth headphones are supported without a bluetooth dongle. This may have changed with the Switch Lite.

Edited at 08:04 AM.
KevinCosmos is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

My ds has had one a few years and loves it. It can be good family fun as well when you book up to tv and play Mario Kart or 1,2 switch.
I've tended to only buy the games that are on offer, don't think ever bought the expensive ones.
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Clairelovestate View Post
We have a switch that the kids 11 & 6 share. We have MARIO kart and MARIO party which my 6yr old is able to play. There was one MARIO game can’t remember the game, I will have to ask my dh when he gets home, that was very difficult and actually only my dh completed.
I would assume to can use on an aeroplane. My dd uses it in the car with headphone when going on a road trip.
I would be great full of you can let me know which is the hard mario or which is the easiest lol
He does have a couple of x box games (Lego) but they are too hard 😱

Non of us are good at computer games so it will be for him not a family thing. It would be my worst nightmare... mine craft already sends my eyes wonky and my son insists I watch him on it build amazing buildings lol
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

If its only for your ds I would consider the switch lite and save some money.

My ds had one for xmas last year and while the kids do like it honestly they doesn't use it much though that is partly as he doesn't have many games for it due to the price for the ones he interested in(eg the ones that run at £40 ish a go ). For younger players there are some more basic games that go for around £10 so there are cheaper options

There are rarely any real good deals on the switch there may be some betters one this year as the lite is now out but other wise its worth looking out for any spend & save deals(smyths are currently excluding consoles) or free games deals.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
I would be great full of you can let me know which is the hard mario or which is the easiest lol
He does have a couple of x box games (Lego) but they are too hard 😱

Non of us are good at computer games so it will be for him not a family thing. It would be my worst nightmare... mine craft already sends my eyes wonky and my son insists I watch him on it build amazing buildings lol
It was called New Super Mario Bros deluxe. So don’t get that game. 😂

I would recommend Mario kart as you can set the kart up to not fall off the edges of the track. My dd plays it with that on and does fine. Mario party is fun, but she does tend to come last in the mini games if she’s playing against the rest of us so we do let her win some games 😂.
Old 27 Sep 19, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Ive had one for 2 years now, currently got about 10 games

its a great family console, loads of FUN games for all to play, Mario Kart, Mario party, 1 - 2 Switch, the dance games, for the slightly more serious gamer, you have FIFA ( that has ported well )

Personally I wouldnt bother with the switch lite as it kills the games that require movement etc

I know the OP has said it will not be for the family, but some of the games are just 100% fun and you really do not need to be a gamer to play them

we took ours on the flight, didnt come out of the bag, BUT it was handy when in Atlanta for 4 hours, 2 of us played mariokart
Old 27 Sep 19, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
If you search the forum I asked almost the same question about a month ago. We’ve ended up purchasing one. Got it from game £279 with mario kart game and £30 e credit.
anna68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List