Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 2 Oct 19, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
jlmp
New Poster (2)

Doubts - family of 5/6 in Port Orleans Riverside room

Hi everyone!
Just booked our first trip to Disney for October 2020. Going with our 4 children as well as three other adults and two teenagers. We've booked three rooms in Port Orleans Riverside. I'm having serious doubts about it now. We had to book our son (10) into a room with his grandparents as it was only allowing us to book a room for five people (my husband and I and our three girls - 5,4 and 2). I'm wondering if there's any chance they'd let him stay with us - our 2 year old will have just turned 2 and will still be using a crib at home so could she not use one in the room or would they be very strict about it? Whether the 5 or 6 of us are in the room, I'm now also thinking that there's going to be a serious lack of space! In your opinions, should we have booked all stars or art of animation? I thought the moderate would be nicer but now the lack of space has me wondering if I made the wrong decision... Any thoughts?
jlmp is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Firstly what you have booked from Disneys point of view is fine, as PORS only takes 5 people max per room. Once you check in they wont check again anyway. Officially though, 6 people cant stay in a room, mainly due to fire and safety regulations, so if they were to catch on, they wont be happy.

From a space point of view. Sardines in a can come to mind. It depends on how much time you will spend in the room and if you are use to spending time crammed together (like a caravan).

We have spend 2 weeks in PORS once with 1 child and another time with 2 children (both 11). Was it cramped, yes, would i want to do it with 3 children, no. Would I want to do it with 4 children and a crib, definitely not.

My opinion, but you have made the wrong decision for what you want.

Someone correct me if im wrong, but his dinning credits will also be linked to the other room, which could be problematic when eating as a family. And his band wont open your door.

Of course you could have adjoining rooms which may help, depending on how close you are with your family, but this isnt guaranteed.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL

Edited at 01:04 PM.
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

hi for the size of your party have you considered okw, much more spacious
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

The online booking system is a bit glitchy but you can have 5 plus an infant under 3 in a room at por ( Most disney resorts allow an infant under 3 in addition to the stated room capacity)so your 10 year old can stay in your room if you want though like said his credits would be linked to your parents room if he's on their booking. You might be able get him added to your room instead if you give them a call.
You can request a pack & play crib for your youngest.

We've done 6 in a room at Por with older kids and it is doable but yes space is limited. We do not usually spend much time in our room its mainly just sleeping & showering so we can deal with the lack of space but if your likely to be doing early nights and spending quite a bit of time in the room you may want to reconsider.
The biggest issue we had other than the lack of storage space was only having 1 bathroom with 2 teenage girls.

Edited at 05:30 PM.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

You will cope but you will be crammed in. If you’re out most of he day and utilising the pool area to relax it will be okay if you are a close family. One bathroom will be a major hassle though TBH. As you asked, in all honesty I’d go for a family suite at a value resort in your circumstances personally. Although POR is a better resort in every respect.
Old 2 Oct 19, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

POR is a lovely resort, but the family suite would probably suit you much better.. As you're going in October, you won't be eligible for free dining, so that doesn't factor in to it, so it's all about which resort you think would be best for you. Art of Animation has a great theme for kids the ages of yours, and also has access to the Skyliner which gives you easier and quicker access to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the decor at All Star Music, but the decor at AoA looks like great fun.

We've done 2 weeks with 2 adults and 2 teens at POR and it's been fine, but add in a crib and 2 more people, including a toddler who could get tired and weepy easily, and I really don't think I'd fancy it. With a family suite at least you could put them to bed in the main bedroom and still have a living area to relax with the rest of the family, so that's what I'd be going for personally.

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19
loves2plan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

POR is a lovely resort. We were a family of 5, 2 adults, 12, 10 and 6 in October and that was cramped enough! There really isn't the room to put a cot apart from behind the door but your going to have barely any room to move around.

Could you maybe look into a suite at AOA or something? X
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
jobelly
Imagineer

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
POR is a lovely resort. We were a family of 5, 2 adults, 12, 10 and 6 in October and that was cramped enough! There really isn't the room to put a cot apart from behind the door but your going to have barely any room to move around.

Could you maybe look into a suite at AOA or something? X
Sorry to jump in but I was considering POR and was wondering how the extra bed was? My problem is I have a boy who will be 15 then and two girls and ideally it’s the boy who would be in the extra bed and the girls sharing but I’m wondering if it would be too small.
Old 3 Oct 19, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Clarkd3
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by jobelly View Post
Sorry to jump in but I was considering POR and was wondering how the extra bed was? My problem is I have a boy who will be 15 then and two girls and ideally it’s the boy who would be in the extra bed and the girls sharing but I’m wondering if it would be too small.
Hi the extra pull down bed at POR is like a small single, narrower and shorter length! I wouldn't think it would be suitable for a 15yr old boy! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that our petite 11 yr old girl will be ok as she was 7 when she last slept on one!
Clarkd3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
jobelly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Clarkd3 View Post
Hi the extra pull down bed at POR is like a small single, narrower and shorter length! I wouldn't think it would be suitable for a 15yr old boy! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that our petite 11 yr old girl will be ok as she was 7 when she last slept on one!
I thought that might be the answer. The other option would be the boys go together and I sleep with one of the girls and the other one on the bed but I can hear the arguments now!