Notices

Old 14 Oct 15, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

The Champagne trip to NYC on presecco budget

So I have never done one of these before, read plenty though!
I can not say it will be funny, interesting or even be finished but a girl can dream.

Anyway. Today I purchased a new suitcase, its fab, a large 4 wheeled Antler hard case, reduced from £120 to £36 at the local outlet, bargain! And it is champagne coloured which gave me an idea for this trippie title! As it sums up our trip!

Me: 33 year old, mother of 2 (12b and girl8) I obsessively plan holidays. Even when i should be doing other things like my dissertation Family joke I am only ever prepared for two things; Holidays and kids parties, everything else is left and forgotten
OH: 36 years old. works for his families business, nothing exciting but pays the bills, lets us enjoy life and fits in around my busy, important social and work life. He is a very gentle and patient soul, he often reminds me of an excited puppy; always stupidly happy, pleased to see you, never gets down about stuff and eats and poops around the clock He is more a 'go with the flow' traveler and is just happy to be out in the open and as long as food is thrown his way every now and then.

Ok. So about this trip.

I have just qualified as a Midwife. Wow, has it been a journey! 5 years of hard labour (see what i did there? ), including 3 full time years at uni where i didnt see the family for days at a time, missed all assemblies, parents evenings, even the kids birthdays!
Originally this was going to be a Orlando holiday to say thanks to the kids and my very supportive and forgiving husband. But due to starting work mid november I was not able to get 2 or 3 weeks off for yonks and budget wise i thought it best to work for a few months before so we can really enjoy ourselves!. So the kids were given the choice and they asked to go back to their favourite place, Switzerland! (they are chocoholics you see... )
So that was booked and enjoyed in September. And enjoyed it we did. Most stunning place on earth and i hope to do a quick trippie at some point!
Now as i forgot how expensive Switzerland was I thought 'oh now we arent going to orlando next year i think OH and I can squeeze in a trip to NYC for our 10 year wedding anniversary this November. We honeymooned in NYC back in 2005 and it holds such wonderful memories for us (ah, through the eyes of loved up nymphs )We have always talked about going back for his 30th (didnt happen, went to Dublin) my 30th (didnt happen, went to tuscany with kids) so our 10 year anniversary and celebration of qualifying is good a reason as any! And it is going to be kid free

I booked 4 nights at the New Yorker hotel for 2-6th November. We are flying out with Virgin (which is sadly what i wanted as we flew with them on our honeymoon, old romantic memories) at 08.45. Our flight was originally changed to midday but i got all upset at the thought of missing lots of the day that the TA demanded it be changed back! We fly back with Delta.
I did look into upgrading to PE, at least for the outward journey but was quoted £558 each! ? More than we paid for the flights! But I did pay for ELR as OH is 6ft and i want to spread my legs as hoping to sleep so we can get on with exploring the city once we arrive.
Working nights means jet lag should not be a problem as a eat and sleep anytime, any day and can easily go 36 hours without sleep. OH might not be quite as well. But he doesnt moan, so that wont be an issue lol

So the preflight hotel (essential! After nearly missing a 6am flight from the airport 1hr from our home years back we have learnt that lesson so always book a airport hotel now, also adds an extra excitement to the holiday) I was crafty and used my tescos clubcard vouchers to book at the Novotel Heathrow so cost us nothing!

Ok, so as the title suggests, this will be on a presecco budget! We spent faaaaar more in Switzerland than we thought we would (charged £6 for a jug of TAP water at a bog standard pizza place! £40 on a quick trip to maccy D's!)
Our last NYC was somewhat luxury, we stayed at San Carlos in a deluxe suite, travelled everywhere by taxi, money was no issue (given dollars and tickets as wedding gifts), so yeah, things will be a little tighter this time. But we did all the big stuff last time, this trip is to do the things we didnt do last time, and just so happens that they are all cheap or free! The list includes:

SOL and Ellis Island
9/11 museum
Walking Brooklyn Bridge and look around Brooklyn
Wall street
China town
Central park
Tenement museum
Comedy club
NY pubic library
American natural history museum
Grand central station
OWO
Kratz
Ellens stardust diner
Tick tock diner
Johns pizza
A little shopping (nothing major as we arent shoppers)

This time we will not be running around the city like last time (and every holiday i ever book as i love a holiday spreadsheet...) This will be a 'if we want to stop for a 2hr coffee we will, we just want to enjoy NYC together and if we make it to interesting stuff then great!' trip. We plan on going back with the kids for christmas 2018 so can do it all then!

So that is it, well done if you managed to read all of that!

Edited at 07:22 PM.
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 15, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Haha absolutely love the title of this report... my life down to a tee!

And congrats on qualifying as a midwife!
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 15, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Fab! Looking forward to this. I've just booked a surprise trip to nyc for hubby's birthday - going 13th feb - and can't wait!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 15, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

Thanks Lisa. Presecco is the way to always go, 4 bottles for one of champagne... always presecco!

Mancdisney, i forgot to add this was supposed to be a surprise trip. But i looked into OH's sparkly eyes and caved and told him. That and the fact I had to get another credit card in his name to put the holiday on, without telling him that would be classed as fraud in a court of law, not the best foundations for a successful marriage
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 15, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

Mobile

Update: I have booked tickets for the tenement museum, SOL and comedy cellar. These are the only 'must book' tickets as everything else: 9/11 museum, OWO etc can be fit in around these.
7 sleeps! Bags completely packed today (minus hair strightners, which I don't know why I take them on every holiday as I rarely bother to use them in the end...