Notices

Old 5 May 11, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
kissimmee girl
Imagineer

The Harvey's 2011 West coast pre trip report.

Hi we are doing the west coast in 8 weeks time. This will be our first time. we have visited florida 9 times and needed to be brave and venture out.
we have booked suites where we can and am just hoping that with two teenage girls fighting for one bathroom its not going to be too traumatic.
There is going to be a lot of hotel changes and packing and unpacking and to be honest the thought of not having my own washing machine and tumble dryer and having to go to laundrettes to wash our clothes fills me with dread. I know i have been very spoilt having a villa to stay in for the last few years.

The cast;

Rachel(me), chief planner, organiser, co driver (first time) and domestic slave for the whole duration.

Damien, Main Driver (all driving if i can help it, lol), says there is no GHD's coming on this trip (), yeah right. Likes to be up and out early. With one bathroom and two teenage girls this is going to cause BIG problems.

Shannon 17, bathroom hogger. Wont leave the house until her hair and make up is perfect. Doesnt like it too hot. Vegas is about 40 degrees in july (oops).

Sinead 16, Is in full on kevin the teenager mode, hates flying (again oops), loves to shop. hates getting up early. Why are we doing this again?

We are driving down from Northern Ireland and flying from Dublin to manchester and then to vegas with virgin atlantic.

Staying for 17 nights in total;

4 nights at the Platinum resort and spa. We are doing a coach trip to the grand canyon west and going to be brave and go on the skywalk, even though i hate heights.

Then flying to San francisco with virgin america,

3 nights at the Grand hyatt fishermans wharf. we will be doing all the touristy things, visiting alcatraz, bus tour etc.

Then we are hiring a suv ford escape and driving along the pacific coast highway, hopefully stopping off at montery or carmel for lunch until we arrive for our overnight stay at the Seacrest Resort at Pismo beach for an overnight stay to break up the journey.

The next day taking a leisurely drive hopefully stopping off in Santa Barbara and finally reaching our next destination Santa monica, where we will be staying for 3 nights at the Double Tree Resort. we are using this as our base to visit hollywood etc.

Next we are driving on to San Diego which will be home for four nights at the Hard Rock Hotel. Visiting san Diego zoo, beaches, sightseeing and generally chilling.

The final part of our journey sees us driving from San Diego back to vegas. Stopping off in Barstow on the way before arriving at The signature at MGM Grand. Where we will be staying for 2 nights and hopefully seeing/doing anything we didnt manage at the begining.

Then flying back to manchester with virgin and on to Dublin to collect our car to drive back to Northern Ireland.
Old 5 May 11, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Andy9137
Very Serious Dibber

Sounds fantastic - we are hoping to do this next year. What sort of cost was it if you dont mind me asking?

Andy9137 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 11, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Sounds good, we are also doing a similar trip in October/November but the other way round starting off in SF finishing in Vegas with 2 teenage girls 17 and 19 so I can relate to your post.

We are also staying at the MGM Signature have stayed there twice before but without the girls, you'll love it. Are you having a junior suite or a 1 bed suite as they have 2 bathrooms .

In the past when we've been in Florida OH has gone without them its took them so long to get ready (he did come back for them though just proving a point) from then on they were given a time to be ready by and it sort of worked give it a go.

You'll have to do a trippie.

Edited at 10:57 AM. Reason: to add
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 11, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

What a fabulous itinerary, Rachel. You'll all have a wonderful time, I'm sure. The Hard Rock hotel in San Diego is a great place to stay!

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 11, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
joandwayne
VIP Dibber

joandwayne's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 20
Oooooooohh! How exciting! We have a similar trip planned for July and August. Except we start in LV - also doing Grand Canyon West rim including skywalk. Then 4 nights in Anaheim doing Disney - 6 nights on Huntington Beach relaxing and exploring San Diego etc - then 3 nights in Yosemite - then 4 nights in San Francisco. Flying home from San Francisco. Can't wait to hear all about your trip!

AKL, Walt Disney World, July 2017, AKL, Walt Disney World, August 2016, Washington DC, California (Disney) and New York, August 2015, AKL, Walt Disney World, August 2014, West Coast USA and Disney Aulani, Hawaii, August 2013, Old Key West, Walt Disney World, Oct 2012, West Coast USA, Aug 2011, New York, April 2011, May 2009, Port Orleans, Walt Disney World, Oct 2010, Disney Cruise, May 2010, POP Century, Walt Disney World, Nov 2008, May 2007, Oct 2005, Kissimee Oct 2003, Oct 1990
joandwayne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 11, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
kissimmee girl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Andy9137 View Post
Sounds fantastic - we are hoping to do this next year. What sort of cost was it if you dont mind me asking?
It has come to about 4,000. Expensive but i know its gonna be worth it. flights, hotels and car hire.
Old 6 May 11, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by kissimmee girl View Post
It has come to about 4,000. Expensive but i know its gonna be worth it. flights, hotels and car hire.
You did well to do all that for £4,000, our trip is costing £5,500.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 11, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
vitfa
Imagineer

Brillant trip rachel - looking forward to the trippie - we are heading to west coast in 15weeks
Who did you book your Grand Canyon trip through - my OH would love to do the skywalk ( me im not so keen)

L xx
Old 8 May 11, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
kissimmee girl
Imagineer

I havent booked it yet but im going to book it through viator i have a code to get 7% of if your interested. its fsav7. I know what you mean about the skywalk not to sure if im up for it either.