Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 24 Oct 19, 01:00 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
:) Going Out in a Blaze of Glory - Summer of Sorcery 2019 - DAY 2- Epcot to AK and The Captain!

Welcome back again - you made it...I hoped you would!

There are some days on holiday when you wonder if you actually managed to make all that happen, today we did!
From Extra Magic Morning until Park Closing we filled in the hours

Hope you enjoy.

If you missed our day 1 trip to The yacht Club - just click here to read.

The whole index is available here - if you have missed any thing else.

Make sure you have an umbrella handy today!

Welcome to …

Day 2 -Thursday 25th July 2019

The usual early morning start was stalled slightly by the beds being so comfortable, I can’t remember ever mentioning this before, but you felt as if it moulded into you.
It meant for a lovely sleep
I really should have looked at the type of bed that Dreams would be ordering for me when I got home.

It also meant that a quick trip to the loo at 5-15 by both boys did not result in an option to get up! They were actually back asleep quickly too. Phew!

Although Alison and I were awake from around 6, we snoozed valiantly and waited until 7-20 before getting up, which was fortunate as the very young baby in the room next door chose this time to wake up with one of those very hungry cries.

We were quickly up, dressed and out for extra magic hours in Epcot.

The first thing we noticed as we got outside was the rather threatening sight of a sky full of dark clouds. At this time of day that is an ominous sign in Florida!

For anyone reading any of this wondering about a Florida Summer trip, this is possibly the first time we have come across this, but we knew what was incoming.

As you read yesterday, Florida weather predicting is not all about TV predictions nor indeed what the app on your phone is saying, it really is the here and now, you need to look in advance as to what is incoming by simply sensing the skies above.
What was sensed was not good, what the app said was worse and we knew that today would be possibly be a bit of a different summer experience for us all.

We headed to Norway just to ride Frozen and with a minimal queue, we were out in time to see that Test Track was down and the rain starting- we headed for Soarin’ again - mainly because we knew we would stay dry!

A swift 20 min wait and by the time we re-entered the Land Pavilion, the rest of the park was open and the queue times extending.

Time for some breakfast at Les Halles then - the quiet boulangerie in the French pavilion! This is a true favourite of ours and a place that does not seem to get too busy. But just keep that to yourself

Great use of three CS credits and it remained a quiet place as the rain was really coming down outside and it was just 10am.

Time for a doughnut then Joe! Who had previously insisted he was not hungry.

We lingered long in here, as by now the rain was persistent and heavy.

With it still persistenting it down, we finally plucked up the courage to brave the elements, those elements that at home today were causing chaos due to the high temperatures- we made do with getting on a Friendship boat just to stay a bit drier.

Glasses on to keep the eyes dry

We ended up with the whole boat to ourselves, now I know we could have walked and got wet , but we chose not to, what followed will probably go down as the greatest and most hilarious photo opportunity ever!

Empty boat , youngest child with phone camera heading to the front of the boat, obviously wanting a pic of the boat Captain.

The Captain readied himself, straightened his whole attire stood smartly and smiled for ages and for all he knew our Joe was taking a picture of el capitano! Except he wasn’t.

He was having a selfie of an empty boat with just the four of us aboard!

Joe thought nothing of it, as Alison and I tried to subdue our growing giggles and giggling shoulders too.

This really could have been a TV show sketch, such was the pose put on by the boat guy.

Both the boys had no idea as to what we were giggling about , Joe especially, as he had his back to it all, but as we got off the boat and shared our thanks we collapsed into a heap of giggles and sought out the photo that Joe took – Picture of boat Captain or selfie with us in the background?

We knew Joe, and the reality was hilarious as to what could have been taken as opposed to what was taken – hope that makes sense – can imagine the boat guy commenting over coffee about a near empty boat "..and one family, whose little guy just wanted a photo of me !"
Sorry.

The hilarity continued as we then tried to explain to the boys exactly what we had seen and they had been oblivious to they had missed the pre photo preening and swagger( thankfully!)

As we giggled our way into the Yacht Club , the rain had stopped

There was just one thing for it and that was to head for a swim- we had the whole quiet pool area to ourselves, including the hot tub – if the rain comes back we were already wet!

We also had a table under a shelter and so we made the best of the weather rather than moan about it.

We stayed around here for a long time and had made ourselves quite comfortable and just enjoyed the pool time. This quiet pool space at the Yacht Club is often ignored, but it did have full Wifi and was a lovely place to spend some quiet time- and I managed to type up what you have just read!

It was still raining lightly when we decided we would do something - the boys were quite happy to head to the big pool for an ice cream too – the calling of Beaches and Cream becomes too much here!

Whilst Alison and I headed out in the car for an hour, we went to Premium Outlets at Vineland road and bought nothing but possibly just to check it was still there, such was our immersion into the hotel bubble!

When we returned the sun was out and it allowed us an hour of sunshine before we needed to make a move, needless to say, it had started spitting with rain again!

We showered, changed and headed into Animal Kingdom- we cancelled our first fast pass in order to go and ride Everest in the single rider line, with all of the weather around we would have hated to miss this were the weather to worsen.

Thankfully it didn’t, so we managed to do single rider then go and use our fast passes straightaway. This then created a bit of time for a bit of popcorn and a drink.

That popcorn bucket was immediately on the wishlist, and the sight of a building site for Club33 became a photo opportunity to see how quickly they got on with things here!

We took our time and then headed to the amazing World that is Pandora.

For new readers, I have to admit I have run out of superlatives to describe this place, we all have a love of Flight of Passage as a ride and the whole area itself is just incredible - I will avoid going over old ground but have a click on last years trip report here if you need any further info about FoP in particular

Until 3 weeks ago our fast pass there was for the Navi river, until a late change to the park hours meant for an opportunity to change, I had it tapped into MDE in no time at all and found a change to Flight of Passage. WOO HOO!

Before that fast pass window opened, we looked in the shop and the counter service restaurant offerings, the food in there looked sensational and was noted for future visits.

I hope nobody actually watched us as we got in the food queue in Satuli Canteen and were as close to the front as you can get – the menu inside here is much more inviting than the list that you read from the outside.

Suddenly, we actually got it! We finally understood the menu !

There is a variety of options and the huge variety of food you can eat here.

I know we will be back to actually eat, rather than walk back through the restaurant and look at everyone’s food on our way to the exit!
It was time well spent and for the first time we had understood what the menu here allowed you to eat – it looked good.

As we explored the area we found a Photopass photographer and got a couple of really good pics, prior to us going to ride Flight of Passage.

Rather than bore you with the usual superlatives, I will include some photos – we loved it as always!

From there we knew we were on a tight turn around, so we really did make haste to the Yak and Yeti for our evening reservation, we were just about on time and anyone arriving without a reservation was being dutifully turned away. Again once the park opening hours were extended and we got the FoP fast pass, we snuck another half hour out of our dining reservation - we were the final table of the night.

We were served by Tyler, who was great but unlike our previous server here was not on a promise at home.
As a result our service was typical end of night which was better than being rushed through – the food was superb again though, so tasty and even on Day 2 it was great to eat something that tasted so different.

Yes we really were that boring!
We all ordered the same Chicken Tikka Masala dish - we were really hungry, it was 11 hours since Les Halles and Alison and I had not been around to enjoy the Ice creams of mid afternoon.
We really are rubbish at the dining plan snack option and then wonder why we have just drank loads of water all day.

The CTM was amazing and those who had missed out previously, got to understand why this was such a delicious dish, no point in gambling around the menu when you know there is something that is this good

Dessert was delicious too , although I'm sure the boys ate more of all 4 of them than we did.

We had no further plans tonight, we just enjoyed the dining and the ambiance and then headed back to the bus,

Love this new backdrop of The Lion King in AK - for anyone with a social media outlet, this would be a must stop, it looked fab, especially with the low light at this time of night.

This reminded us all of the photo opportunities at Art of Animation and the Lion King area there.

The incoming rain had shut the pool for the night so to call it an 'early' night at 11pm seems somewhat strange!

Sleep was needed after such an amazingly long day - I am sure lots of people in the parks today will bemoan the rain and how it spoilt their day - not for us! You simply make the most of it and remember you could have been sweltering in the heat in the UK without aircon!

Before the light was turned out we had one last giggle and a straightening of the uniform and standing up straight -for The Captain

As for tomorrow -

I am hoping that baby next door has a similar nights sleep - might need a bit of an alarm call for EMM again

Hope you enjoyed Day 2

Join us soon for Day 3 and thank you so much for reading.

DAY 3 is just a click here away

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.

Edited at 02:23 AM.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 19, 06:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridafour
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

What a fun filled day, something for everyone 🙂 looking forward to more. I agree with you about Pandora it’s amazing! 🙂
Floridafour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 19, 07:16 AM  
Link to this Post
yellowrose78
VIP Dibber

yellowrose78's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Great day, shame about the rain but it didn't spoil your fun. Ah that selfie on the boat, hilarious! Great Lion King photo too. Love the tikka at Yak and Yeti it is amazing! We also love Les Halles, it's so good! Enjoying your report as usual, looking forward to the next part

Movieland Hotel IDrive - 2002 / POR - 2012 / 3 Weeks at OKW - 2014 / Villa at Highlands Reserve - 2016 / New York and Orlando - 2018 / Caribbean Cruise MSC Seaside - June 2019 / Orlando Covid cancelled 2020 and 2021 / Planning for Orlando 2024
yellowrose78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 19, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Inky
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Great day!
Inky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 19, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Quensabob
VIP Dibber

Quensabob's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
Fab day!

Sunset Ridge Sept2006,Highlands Reserve Sept 2007,Solana Sept 2008,Championsgate March 2010,Courtyard 2011,Clarion Inn June 2013,lakebuena vista resort Sept 2015, Santa Fe Paris Sept 2017,Newport Bay Club Paris March 2018,Clarion inn August 2018,Coronado Springs September 2019, Hotel l’elysee Disneyland Paris March 2020 ,Lake Buena Vista Resort and Spa November2022, Pop Century September 2023
Quensabob is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 19, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Imagineer

Mobile

What a fab read! Well done for making the most of a challenging day, weather-wise. The photo/ Captain on the boat that would have kept me giggling for a while. I totally ‘get’ your love of Pandora- for some reason we didn’t see it during the evening on our last trip so I’m super excited to do it next year... and FOP is just something else!
Old 24 Oct 19, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

Another fab day guys.

Sharon

sandshal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 19, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Originally Posted by Th1nkT1nk View Post
What a fab read! Well done for making the most of a challenging day, weather-wise. The photo/ Captain on the boat that would have kept me giggling for a while. I totally ‘get’ your love of Pandora- for some reason we didn’t see it during the evening on our last trip so I’m super excited to do it next year... and FOP is just something else!
Phew - glad you got the bit about the captain! I was always unsure if anyone else would actually get our giggles! Thank you.

Pandora at night - takes on another life - completely different place and such an incredible sight - get it on the list for your next trip and also make sure you allow time for a range of times at The Tree of Life when it awakens - stunning and will include photos in upcoming days.
To be honest an evening just walking around Animal Kingdom in the dark becomes a place of complete amazement.
I know there are no fireworks but riding Expedition Everest in the dark, Pandora and the tree of life I would hope you have it on your Must do things for your next trip

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 19, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
flo-tinka
Apprentice Imagineer

Great action packed yet chilled second day. Great use of pool already despite no evening swim.
Your Disney love already shining through
😂 👨≈✈️ (= captain emoji translated by DIBB!) 😂🤪
flo-tinka is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 19, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossy
Imagineer

mossyflossy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Another great day, smiling along at your giggles on the boat.

Completely echo your views on Flights of Passage and Pandora.

Since we havent had the dining plan in years, we always use Landry's Card at Yak & Yeti and now order the noodles and the tuna nachos which are stunning with a nice $25 off. Keeps the $$$ spend down.

And you can't beat the aircon and food at Satuli either.

Looking forward to tomorrow already.
mossyflossy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List