Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 16 Aug 20, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDose
Serious Dibber

I've stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment at OKW and it was wonderful. So much space and such a lovely place to stay. The studio rooms look good also, but I've seen a few YouTube videos of the SS room refurbishments and think I would opt for a deluxe studio at SS over OKW. As others have said, it depends what locations you prefer to be closer to. I believe both studios have Kitchenettes from what I've seen.

Edited at 01:10 PM.
DisneyDose is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I find the kitchenette really really useful. We always have breakfast in room, and also lunch many times ( or make it up and take it with us). Obviously the full kitchen is better, but the kitchenette is a life saver even for breakfast. I’ve never stayed in a studio, but we’ve had 2 bed lockoff at both Boardwalk and OKW and the kitchenette would have been heavily used if we hadn’t had the main kitchen.
The sofa Murphy at the new SSR rooms beats the 2 queens at OKW in my view- makes a nice living space in the day and still a normal feeling bed at night.

Edited at 01:13 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
The Fatadder
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Having stayed at both, my thoughts were the QS offering was a lot better at SSR. Had great TS meals at both SSR and OKW and thought the pools were evenly matched.

I think for 2 people the studio at SSR was a lot better than OKW given the latter has 2 queens meaning you have a lot more useful space in your SSR studio (looking at photos even more so since the refurb). For a 1/2 bed on the other hand the OKW room was huge!

If a free dining promotion does end up appearing for next August I live in hope... my aim is to move our POFQ booking to an SSR studio.
The Fatadder is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
KRBarnard
Very Serious Dibber

KRBarnard's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Aurora2018 View Post
Hello! Thank you for your comment. We were looking at the studio, 1 bedroom would be too expensive I think... I like the convenience of the kitchenette for the little one and for breakfasts. I like the fact that SSR has a murphy bed and we could have a sofa during the day? Somehow I felt the room may feel bigger than the standard little mermaid room but I may be wrong...
Depending on what type of breakfast you want to make, I'm not sure a studio would make a big difference. The kitchenette has a microwave and some disposable plates and cutlery (not real crockery/cutlery like in the villas) and that's really all above a standard room.
When we stayed at POR and CBR we had the same size fridge and a coffee machine and we asked for a tea kettle. Unless you want to make microwave porridge or something I'm not sure what else you could really make in the kitchenette that you couldn't do in a standard room. The "small dining table" in our OKW studio was the same size as the table in our room at CBR and POR and only has two chairs. We had to pull it over to the bed to perch on the bed so the little one could have his booster on the one of the chairs and we could all sit together. We just did cereal and put pastries in the fridge that we had picked up whilst we were out, but you can do the same in a moderate room. I do think it's a lot of extra money for very little over and above a moderate.

A couple of tips if you do book a studio - ask for one away from the side of the building where the A/C units are situated. We were not able to use our patio area as they are so so noisy and you had to really raise your voice over them almost to shouting which is no good with a little one asleep in the room.

OKW doesn't have a food court, only a couple of QS counters and the choices are very limited. SSR has a lovely little food court. I think with the properties being DVC they don't expect many guests to use the restaurants as much as the other type of property.
Gateway Inn '97 Radisson Barcelo '99 Quality Inn Plaza '01 Quality Inn Int'l '03 La Quinta Inns&Suites '05 B.W. Movieland '07 Holiday Inn '08 & '09 Indian Creek '10 & '11 Vista Cay '12 Rosen Inn @ Pointe and Miami '13 Vista Cay '13,'14,'15,'16 CBR '16 Tampa, POR & SSR '17 OKW + Vista Cay '18 Windsor Hills '19 Vista Cay'22
KRBarnard is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Aurora2018
Excited about Disney

Thank you, these are my thoughts exactly. Which areas are preferred? And are the other areas not renovated? I thought it was due to be completed at the start of 2021 but I may be wrong!
Aurora2018 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Aurora2018 View Post
Thank you, these are my thoughts exactly. Which areas are preferred? And are the other areas not renovated? I thought it was due to be completed at the start of 2021 but I may be wrong!
Preferred is Congress and Springs. They finished Congress as lockdown started and had just started Springs, but then delayed work on Springs for 4 months. It is reported now back up and running.
We are not yet sure where they will move first when they finish Springs, which will be standard category- all the rest are standard.
I would say end of 2021 is now more realistic which means until then the only way to guarantee a refurb from year end is to pick preferred.
Old 16 Aug 20, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Stayed in a 2 bedroom at both, OKW just pips SSR for me.
Old 20 Aug 20, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
Disneys Vacation Club website has floor plans of all the accomodations, and also gives you an indication of the points required.
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 20, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
nothingless
Very Serious Dibber

We stayed at both with our 3-year-old on our most recent trip, you can find a detailed trip report in my signature! We loved both, but OKW won out for us, purely because of the great sandy playground (which may be important to you with a 2-year-old! SSR only has 1 playground and it's in the Congress Park section - far away from where our room was, a good 15 minute walk and we only used it once. OKW's playground is all sandy, and it's right beside the main pool in Hospitality House. That's where our room was too, so we were minutes from a lovely pool with a slide she loved, and a very good playground. So with a toddler, OKW wins out for us if you can request a Hospitalty House room!
nothingless is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 20, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Good interactive, wet, at the Paddock but it does get busy- it's separated from pool by fencing but there are sun loungers & chairs in there.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List