Old 16 Aug 20, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Rozzyb2011
VIP Dibber

Rozzyb2011's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Jagnew View Post
We have booked 7 or 8 villas in the past and all have gone great but it just takes one bad experience to make you re-think.
This is true 😔

2016: Clarion Inn, Lake Buena Vista
2018: POR & Dibb villa "Shamu villa" Sunset Lakes
2022: Dibb villa "Shamu villa" Sunset Lakes
2025: Dibb villa "Villa4Orlando" Hunters Creek
Rozzyb2011 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando Soon
Imagineer

Really interested in post about uk villa owners. I booked a villa from an owner who lives in London. I paid £1000 in deposit and villa owner very accommodating when I suggested holding off paying balance when I was unsure that I would get their in July. When flights cancelled I asked what the options were and he said claim deposit through insurance. I feel that this was feasible and as the villa is there for me but I cannot get there then it is not the villa owners issue. Insurers feel different and are fighting the claim, I am now really confused and wondering if I just have to accept the loss.
Old 16 Aug 20, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
If you are talking about a UK villa owner renting- this is incorrect I am afraid.
The villa we rented for last year's trip was owned by a UK family, but the 'business' of renting the villa is US based - we paid their US bank account in dollars, and the contract was governed under Florida law.

I would imagine this is all pretty common as it allows the owner to deal with everything villa related within the US.
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
If you are talking about a UK villa owner renting- this is incorrect I am afraid.
The villa we rented for last year's trip was owned by a UK family, but the 'business' of renting the villa is US based - we paid their US bank account in dollars, and the contract was governed under Florida law.

I would imagine this is all pretty common as it allows the owner to deal with everything villa related within the US.

If the frustration of contract applies like you say, how are airlines getting away with not refunding (unless they cancel the flight)?
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bobbins View Post

If the frustration of contract applies like you say, how are airlines getting away with not refunding (unless they cancel the flight)?
Airlines are not getting away with it where the contract is UK based- if someone sues them. That’s the issue. I raised frustration with my ccc on a S75 claim when they erroneously said the airline could keep my money. I don’t know the law in other jurisdictions but I did read it was also being raised in Canada I think.

This is being pursued against other industries as well currently, where a service has been cancelled and the contract frustrated.

If you cancel you’ll have to show it was a frustrating event. At the moment you can with the US as they simply will not allow you in.

This isn’t some new legal principle. The Act is 1943 and was actually introduced due to the perceived injustice following a few different cases including the ‘coronation cases’. These involved people who had booked rooms to watch the Edward VII coronation, which was cancelled. The Claimants wanted their money back, the renters said no- the room was still available. The court found that because the rooms had been booked to only watch the coronation, then the contracts were frustrated, but that meant then that the contracts were just terminated and the renter could keep the money.

Hence the Law Reform (Frustrated Contracts) Act 1943 was introduced.

Edited at 11:29 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 20, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickey 91
Trying for More Ears

Our Dibb villa owner was paid in full and refused to move dates or even just allow us to go at another time when suited. We were very flexible as I have now been made redundant and husband can take holidays when he likes. We did also suggest them keeping 50% and returning the other 50%. Very disappointed as when we were due to go, Florida was not allowing anyone to rent there. We have been going to Florida yearly since 2002 but will not pay directly into an owners account again.
Mickey 91 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 20, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mickey 91 View Post
Our Dibb villa owner was paid in full and refused to move dates or even just allow us to go at another time when suited. We were very flexible as I have now been made redundant and husband can take holidays when he likes. We did also suggest them keeping 50% and returning the other 50%. Very disappointed as when we were due to go, Florida was not allowing anyone to rent there. We have been going to Florida yearly since 2002 but will not pay directly into an owners account again.
That’s awful. I would attempt to get the money back via the small claims court - I think you will have a very good chance of success.
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 20, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mickey 91 View Post
That is terrible

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 20, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
tapley
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jagnew View Post
Anyone else finding villa owners not refunding money after being unable to fly this year? Our seem to have done a bunk and not returning emails or calls
Mine refunded all the money apart from the deposit
which Nationwide insurance would not refund as I cancelled the villa more than 28 days before the flight date. However if I had waited until the 28 day cut off the villa owner was keeping the whole £1800. Nationwide bank insurance accepted I had morally made the correct decision to save them money but the hid behind the underwriters saying we despite the moral decision we can’t pay you back the deposit.
Never trust insurance companies they are great at taking money but will look for every little wrinkle not to pay out.
Even Nationwide Bank are hiding behind the insurance company so any Nationwide customers out there just be careful how you cancel.
tapley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 20, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Remember a 'Dibb Villa' is just someone who has to go through the basic background checks and pay £25 a year to advertise on here.

For balance, I have rented out my DVC points here, there are no background checks and I pay £25 a year to do so.

In both cases trust is a large element which goes both ways.

There is a growing trend that every time AirBnB/Homeaway/VRBO is mentioned one of them will drop into the thread some misinformation or negative spin. One element about those sites is I can filter the listings that offer 'Free Cancellation' at 60, 30 and 14 days. Yes, they may be more expensive (although all the ones I have booked have been cheaper than what I was quoted on the Dibb, thus I've never booked a villa on the Dibb) but the control is mine, I can quickly compare the cancellation policy and I'm not stuck with an itinerary I may make a year in advance.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List